Packers are #2 in defense #6 in offense

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care about yards. Points are what matters. And the Packers have given up the 2nd fewest points(142) in the league. Pittsburgh is #1 with 126. And the Packers are #6 in points scored on offense. Not too shabby. :beer:

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are doing pretty good in the yardage stats as well.
Total Offense #4. Passing #1, Rushing is still #32 but they are showing signs of improving in this area.
Total Defense #23, Passing #19 and Rushing #7.
I don't mind a defense that lets a team get the yards but does not give up the score. I would prefer a team that can shut their opponent down all together but this is pretty good.

Hey MWFF, I will trade you my two tickets to a really great Packers vs Vikings game for your tickets to the Lions game. It will no doubt be really cold out there in Dec.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of Packer stats I see that Crosby is leading the NFC in the number of FG made. (Third overall.) He is 2nd in the NFC in points as Folk with Dallas has made 11 more PATs. (Crosby 78-Folk 80)
He just may make the Pro Bowl as a rookie if he keeps this up.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care about yards. Points are what matters. And the Packers have given up the 2nd fewest points(142) in the league. Pittsburgh is #1 with 126. And the Packers are #6 in points scored on offense. Not too shabby. :beer:

Yes. yards are irrelevant. The game is counted by points for vs points against.

I noticed being #2 in PA, but didn't know we were #6 in PF. Pretty impressive.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:

IMO, Yards per game on defense is irrelevant only when you have an offense that can move the ball and score points. If you have a struggling offense, which currently we do not, then yards become a premium because your team will rely on field position to assist the offense along...

I bet you a dollar to your dime that the Bears and Vikings care about the yards their defenses give up because their offenses are challenged right now.. case in point the Bears against an average Oakland defensive team.. they won the game mostly by controlling the field position and one "lucky" throw by Rex.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, this imay be where numbers lie. Were ALL of the 142 points given up by the defense? Have we not had an INT or a fumble returned for a TD? How about kickoff or a punt?

I don't know or remember but if the D has given up 142 points and had no help from the Special teams or an offensive miscue, I'd say Packers have played great ball in all phases of the game.

OP
OP
IronMan

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, this imay be where numbers lie. Were ALL of the 142 points given up by the defense? Have we not had an INT or a fumble returned for a TD? How about kickoff or a punt?
Good point.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
Good point.

Because you asked for it:

GB has given up 15 TD's this year.
12 by pass
3 by run (Chicago, Washington, KC)
0 by return

With that said, about half way thru this I noticed that Chicago had a drive of 19 yards (passing TD) and KC had a drive of 30 yards (Running TD) that had to be the result of a turnover. I did not look at FG's and I did not look at the TD drives extemely close to see if there were other short drives after a TO.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:
Obi1 said:
Good point.

Because you asked for it:

GB has given up 15 TD's this year.
12 by pass
3 by run (Chicago, Washington, KC)
0 by return

With that said, about half way thru this I noticed that Chicago had a drive of 19 yards (passing TD) and KC had a drive of 30 yards (Running TD) that had to be the result of a turnover. I did not look at FG's and I did not look at the TD drives extemely close to see if there were other short drives after a TO.

so yardage stats ARE important?

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
W-L that is what is important. Everything else feeds into it some way or another.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
MidwestFavreFan said:

IMO, Yards per game on defense is irrelevant only when you have an offense that can move the ball and score points. If you have a struggling offense, which currently we do not, then yards become a premium because your team will rely on field position to assist the offense along...

I bet you a dollar to your dime that the Bears and Vikings care about the yards their defenses give up because their offenses are challenged right now.. case in point the Bears against an average Oakland defensive team.. they won the game mostly by controlling the field position and one "lucky" throw by Rex.

If you have a more than 14 point lead in the 4th Q, you can afford to give up tons of yards. You just don't want to give up points.

If someone got 400 yards on us, but we won 35-10, who cares about the yards?

Members online

Latest posts