Packers and Ted Rank #1 for last 5 years of the draft.

normsizedmidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a study by CSNBayArea.com the Packers get the nod as the #1 drafting team over the past 5 years.

1. GREEN BAY PACKERS
Number of picks: 47
Still on team: 27
Starters: 11
Best pick: LB Clay Matthews, 2009
Worst pick: DT Justin Harrell, 2007
Overall: In 2005, one year before the five-year window for this evaluation, the Packers got their franchise quarterback with the selection of Aaron Rodgers. The nucleus of their Super Bowl-winning team came through the drafts of the past five years with half of their starters and many other key contributors coming during that period. It's a group on offense that includes receivers Greg Jennings and, non-starter, Jordy Nelson, as well as three starting offensive linemen. General manager Ted Thompson and his crew also bolstered the other side of the ball with Matthews, the NFL Defensive Player of the Year, nose tackle B.J. Raji and the team's top two tacklers during the regular season, linebackers A.J. Hawk and Desmond Bishop.

2. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
Number of picks: 30
Still on team: 22
Starters: 9
Best pick: G Jahri Evans, 2006
Worst pick: RB Reggie Bush, 2006
Overall: The Saints had two top-10 picks during this five-year period. But they had a lot of success after the third round, too. Defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis, taken No. 7 overall in 2008, has been an outstanding addition. The Saints have been incredibly efficient in the draft with more than two-thirds of their picks remaining on the roster, including nine starters. It says something about the consistency of the Saints' drafts that Bush is their worst pick. Widely believed to be the best player in the 2006 draft, Bush was chosen No. 2 overall. He has produced, but not like you'd expect from the second overall player selected. Evans, and fellow offensive linemen Carl Nicks and Jermon Bushrod were chosen in the fourth and fifth rounds, and receiver Marques Colston was a seventh-rounder in 2006.

3. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
Number of picks: 41
Still on team: 28
Best pick: S Antoine Bethea, 2006
Worst pick: OT Tony Ugoh, 2007
Overall: In the past five years, the Colts' first selections came at Nos. 31, 27, 59, 32 and 30. Yet, the Colts have done an admirable good job of adding talent and depth to a team that already had championship-caliber nucleus. The Colts have managed to achieve success in the sixth round, with the additions of two-time Pro Bowl safety Antoine Bethea, receiver Pierre Garcon and starting left tackle Charlie Johnson. Their lone early swing-and-miss was Ugoh, chosen No. 42 overall in 2007. He was cut before last season.

4. NEW YORK JETS
Number of picks: 27
Still on team: 17
Best pick: CB Darrelle Revis, 2007
Worst pick: LB Vernon Gholston, 2008
Overall: The Jets have capitalized on most of their first-round picks. Cornerback Darrelle Revis, chosen No. 14 in 2007, is on a different level than everybody else who plays his position in the league. Revis, left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold have combined for eight Pro Bowl appearances. The jury is still out on quarterback Mark Sanchez, selected with the fifth overall pick in 2009. He has a 70.2 passer rating in his 31 career starts, but the team around him is the reason they've advanced two the AFC championship game the past two seasons. Gholston was easily the worst selection, as he failed to record a sack in three full seasons and was released in March.

5. ATLANTA FALCONS
Number of picks: 42
Still on team: 26
Best pick: QB Matt Ryan, 2008
Worst pick: DE Jamaal Anderson, 2007
Overall: The Falcons had bad drafts in 2006 and '07, as their top picks were Anderson and cornerback Jimmy Williams. But since Thomas Dimitroff came on the scene as general manager, things greatly improved. The Falcons selected eight starters over the past three drafts. The selection of Ryan was huge. The Falcons are certain they've found their quarterback of the now future. Dimitroff also selected the Falcons' left tackle Sam Baker and their top three tacklers: Curtis Lofton, Thomas DeCoud and William Moore.

ALL HAIL TED

Maiocco: Five-year study of NFL drafts

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
saints and packers picked someone who everyone believed was going to be much better than they were. I remember just drooling over the thought of us being able to pick bush, sure glad that didnt happen.

OP
OP
normsizedmidget

normsizedmidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish they would have named Sitton in it. He's one of his best picks, with all things considered.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is wasn't all that long ago folks where shouting- "FIRE TED." Now he is at the top of the heap. I have been a fan of his picks and personnel moves since he started here as GM.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Though not on the forum then, I would have to agree. I was glad that he chose to stick to his guns with BF and his retired, not retired, retired, not retired, retired, not retired ... annual drama. Rodgers performance is the proof that he made the right decision, and yes, I know that is easy to say in hindsight, but I do have a handful of witnesses who know that I said I was tired of Favre and his need for all the drama and attention.
TT just seems to have a knack for picking guys who just fit the team.

Members online

Latest posts