Packers and Jaylon Smith closing in on a deal

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This makes sense schematically. Joe Barry wants to be much heavier in nickel compared to what Pettine would do. But after Campbell, he's lacked the depth he's needed. Summers shouldn't be on the field in defense. Smith can compete for those snaps at LB2 with Barnes.

No guarantees, but it would be pretty cool if Smith came in and saw a big boost in his level of play a la what we've seen from Campbell.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Also won't be surprised if he plays some as an edge, given his frame and their need at the position.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't be surprised if he signs elsewhere. But I like the ties to LaFleur and the possible upside he brings the defense.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. This is a great signing. Don't understand why the Cowboys let him go. Last time I saw him play, he looked really good. Who would have thought prior to the season that ILB could be a strength for this team? Me. Never told anyone. But I knew it all along.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If Jaire can avoid surgery and play with a brace, our secondary is more than solid with the emergence of Stokes, the ILB room is looking much better with how DeVondre has played and now adding Jaylon Smith, and the defensive line has showed some promise recently.

This defense could be rounding into a solid all around unit.

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. This is a great signing. Don't understand why the Cowboys let him go. Last time I saw him play, he looked really good. Who would have thought prior to the season that ILB could be a strength for this team? Me. Never told anyone. But I knew it all along.
Absolutely. I think Campbell would be a solid strongside ILB with Smith playing weak side. Can play 7 in the box with decent underneath support vs pass.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Now the important question....what Jersey number will he wear? His current #9 is available. His old #54 is taken by La'Darious Hamilton.

Attachments

• Packers-rumors-Green-Bay-pushing-for-Jaylon-Smith-after-Cowboys-release-thumbnail.jpg
    Packers-rumors-Green-Bay-pushing-for-Jaylon-Smith-after-Cowboys-release-thumbnail.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 92

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure Ty's a good dude, but yeah, I'd much rather have Jaylon on the field than Ty. And I can't imagine he'll cost anything. Soooo, sounds good to me.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If Jaire can avoid surgery and play with a brace, our secondary is more than solid with the emergence of Stokes, the ILB room is looking much better with how DeVondre has played and now adding Jaylon Smith, and the defensive line has showed some promise recently.

This defense could be rounding into a solid all around unit.
I think alexander gets surgery.. No insider info..just gut feeling

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure Ty's a good dude, but yeah, I'd much rather have Jaylon on the field than Ty. And I can't imagine he'll cost anything. Soooo, sounds good to me.

It isn’t a Ty or Jaylon thing, Barnes is easily the third guy now if not just three same types depending on situation. I’d expect seeing all three out there at times when Jaylon lines up more OLB spot.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It isn’t a Ty or Jaylon thing, Barnes is easily the third guy now if not just three same types depending on situation. I’d expect seeing all three out there at times when Jaylon lines up more OLB spot.
you're just mad because i'd rather see jaylon play than you

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Living in Texas, I see the Cowboys alot. Jaylon Smith is a shell of the player he was when he made the Pro Bowl in 19. The Cowboys let him go for a reason. I'm not overly thrilled with this pick up.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My opinion of the move will be determined on just what he costs. As of now I like it. Is there anyone you guys see that may get cut who could save even a little bit of cap space? Summers or Burks?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My opinion of the move will be determined on just what he costs. As of now I like it. Is there anyone you guys see that may get cut who could save even a little bit of cap space? Summers or Burks?
Wouldn't shock me to see either guy cut and without looking, guessing no real cost savings with either. My hunch is they cut Summers and pick him up for the PS.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am thinking that Jaylon Smith is an if since the cowboys let him go. But that could have been for cap reasons. If he is a player like he was in college; then the middle of our defense just became a huge strength. And I love that. I hope we are smart enough to continue to give Barnes reps. He is a tough sob. imho

Reaction score
Clap clap clap! :D

Welcome Aboard !

He was respected in Dallas as a D team captain. He’ll have low financial risk and high reward. Let Barry work with him it’s an early Christmas present to him

Attachments

• 8262FDAA-E020-4C3C-A96B-B2E54F9892FE.jpeg
    8262FDAA-E020-4C3C-A96B-B2E54F9892FE.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Latest posts