Packers and Giants -- In Search of a Defense and a Running Game

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so because i believe the Giants schooled the packers last year, makes me giant's fan?

Been a packers fan since 1994. Was impressed with their super bowl run, their defence was great that year as well as the offence, especially in the super bowl, but what happened to that defence?

Hindsight speaking here it was a huge mistake to let cullen jenkins go. He was our Justin smith and jj watt type player and made matthews that much better.

McCarthy refuses to run the ball, and the defence can't tackle. the offence can be a lot better but the defence has to be better.

Whethere you're a Giants fan or Packer fan, you can't peg the Packers after one game that they played against arguably the best team in the NFL in this early part of the season.

The Packer defense underwent a major overhaul this off-season and there are a lot of rookies out there who are being asked to make an impact: Perry, Worthy and Hayward for starters. It is way too early to say that the Packers have basic weaknesses that are going to last throughout the season. The OL looked bad, the defense looked blah, and the tackling was bad. Neither you nor I have any idea how much improvement there is going to be by mid-season. Perry and Worthy are not comfortable out there yet by a long shot. It's obvious. That's the perennial problem with rookies. But to say that the defense we saw against the 49ers is going to be the WYSISYG for the rest of the season? Or that those players are a wash-out? I'll bet good money against that.

And most of all, the Packers were obviously not ready for the kind of play that SF brought last Sunday. Intensity, communication, general in-sync-ness were not there. SF just gave them a big wake-up call, a real big one. Don't underestimate what that will do to the psychology of this team.

NACHOMAN

Sailing the seas of cheese
Reaction score
Nachoman, thank you so much for the compliment. It means a lot.

I currently live Northern VA area, I am stationed at Ft. Belvoir. On the occassions when Giants aren't on National or I am not up in NY for weekend and I go out here and watch the game at a bar that shows the game, I act nice. Of course I root for my team but I don't bother other people and I don't act like a fool. I am almost 40 years old and I have met a lot if good people that are oppossing fans, even a lot of Patriots fans which is cool because they have a lot of single women in their fan base. I have always felt that there is no reason to not act like a gentleman. Congratulate the other fans whe they win and be humble when NY Giants win and all goes better and everyone is happier.

I have been upset with a number of ny fellow NY Giants fans for acting as if we are an expansion team and have never won it before imstead of being in NFL since 1925 with the 3rd most NFL Championships.
I was especially mad at the clowns that gave Tom Brady's wife mess after Super Bowl. Heck I don't know what was wrong with those guys because I would have been happy just seeing Giselle and would have tried to take her picture with my cellphone.
Cheers, see you Nov. 25th in your house.

KManx89

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To the OP (and Forderick): you won't see any excuse-making from me, I'll give you that the Giants were the better team that day, and as a Pack fan, Matthews' recent comments absolutely embarrassed me, especially from a team that's been known to usually give teams their due after a game. And like our season, I'll give you that it's a little premature to write the Giants playoff chances just yet, though next week's game against Tampa Bay (and our Thursday Night game against the Bears, too, for that matter) should be a good indication of the probable direction of both our teams.

That being said, the 9ers are a much better team than the Cowboys (they're many analyst's fave to come out of the NFC for a reason you know; same great defense from last year and a much improved receiving corps), even with their supposed improvements in the secondary, so I think your loss stings a little bit more (a team that was one play away from making the SB last year and only got better vs. a team that has failed to reach the playoffs the last 2 years in a row, and has exactly 1 playoff win in 15 years under their belt). Again, it's only the first week of the regular season, so you can't write either team off just yet, I'm just sayin'.

EDIT: oh, and another thing, if you want to point to the scab refs calls giving us points in the GB-SF game (the blown flag pick up in the block-in-the-back on Terrell Manning on the RC punt return for a TD), the replacement refs were terrible on BOTH sides yesterday. I could just as easily point to the 3 straight SF false starts missed, which led directly to a 9er TD, and a phantom RTP call on Matthews, which led to another. A 49er fan friend of mine even said the refs missed/botched calls both ways yesterday. I never thought I'd say this, but man do I want the real refs back.

Reaction score
Prediction: For both the Packers and the NYG -- they both need to find a defense and a running game quickly, or this year will suck!
The Packers only need a defense and we will be set... we just need to find a running game that will get us 40-50 yards per game and we will be good. The Packers didn't need a running game in 2010.

BigBluePride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eli threw 3 ints in the firat half and them came out and lit it up for a total of 3INTS 3TDs and 510 yards.

Our run game improved but I am still concerned about the O line and our secondary is bad. .

Classless move by Bucaneers taking cheap shot at Eli on the kneeldown. No surprise cause Bucs have always been a classless organization.

A comeback win at home is real nice and we needed it. Next up is Carolina Panthers on Thursday.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Eli threw 3 ints in the firat half and them came out and lit it up for a total of 3INTS 3TDs and 510 yards.

Our run game improved but I am still concerned about the O line and our secondary is bad. .

Classless move by Bucaneers taking cheap shot at Eli on the kneeldown. No surprise cause Bucs have always been a classless organization.

A comeback win at home is real nice and we needed it. Next up is Carolina Panthers on Thursday.

One of your Rb got hurt?

BigBluePride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahmad Bradshaw hirt his neck but he ran off the field so I am thinking it is not too serious. Brown filled in nicely.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It was a very entertaining game, I must say. Eli looked like Jay Cutler in the first half and in the second half he went crazy. Tampa Bay secondary was completely disorganized in the second half.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
It was a very entertaining game, I must say. Eli looked like Jay Cutler in the first half and in the second half he went crazy. Tampa Bay secondary was completely disorganized in the second half.
Things I learned from Week 2. #1. Eli still has his foot soundly planted on that clutch.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts