Packers All Time Roster

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't look into the INT thing, as much as the INT ration, which isn't bad.

But the lack of championships and postseason performances are what takes Favre out of the discussion...

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I actually haven't made a list. I'm doing exactly what you are....finding flaws in everyone elses'. Hahaha.
Not really flaws per se. I do think McGee is the better pick over Lofton. Let me explain.

Lofton started his career the first year of the 5 yard rule. You can't touch a WR after the first 5 yards. While his numbers are good I look at him as just below elite WR's. Those being guys like Hutson, Rice, Moss, TO. Here's why. The Pass/TD ratio. While not being the only figure, it is important. And it's important to note that Hutson and McGee did it while getting mugged going down the field. I can't imagine what kind of figures they would have in today's pass happy, WR friendly NFL. So that's my case for McGee over Lofton.

Hutson. 1 TD per 4.9 catches
Moss. 1 TD per 6.3 Catches
Rice. 1 TD per 7.9 Catches
Owens. 1 TD per 7.0 Catches
Lofton. 1 TD per 10.2 Catches. (10.8 with the Packers)

McGee. 1 TD per 6.9 Catches.

Now, to Starr/Favre. Starr hands down. No if's and's or buts. Brett has been good, Bart had the advantage of a smaller league, but, you can't beat the numbers he put up on a regular basis.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Not really flaws per se. I do think McGee is the better pick over Lofton. Let me explain.

Lofton started his career the first year of the 5 yard rule. You can't touch a WR after the first 5 yards. While his numbers are good I look at him as just below elite WR's. Those being guys like Hutson, Rice, Moss, TO. Here's why. The Pass/TD ratio. While not being the only figure, it is important. And it's important to note that Hutson and McGee did it while getting mugged going down the field. I can't imagine what kind of figures they would have in today's pass happy, WR friendly NFL. So that's my case for McGee over Lofton.

Now, to Starr/Favre. Starr hands down. No if's and's or buts. Brett has been good, Bart had the advantage of a smaller league, but, you can't beat the numbers he put up on a regular basis.

Thats some fairly elite company that you compared Lofton too, and its a fair comparison. I would also say that McGee had the benefit of playing on much better teams than Lofton did, and I think Lofton is clearly the better athlete of the two. You may be right. Fun comparison to make though.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If Mcgee then what about driver, Sharpe, or dowler? Good analysis btw

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, in my list neither McGee or Lofton are #3.

That belongs to a certain detentor of almost all Packer records, mr. Donald Jerome Driver.

It only helps that he's a class act.

Oh, and detentor of the current "Gobble-gobble" award.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Yeah, in my list neither McGee or Lofton are #3.

That belongs to a certain detentor of almost all Packer records, mr. Donald Jerome Driver.

It only helps that he's a class act.

Oh, and detentor of the current "Gobble-gobble" award.

Fair enough. Can't argue with that!

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Dowler is 1 in11.8
Sharpe is 1 in9.1
Dale is 1 in 7.8 as a Packer.
And Driver is currently 1 in 7.6.

Again, you have to keep the rules in context. The new rules make it easier for WR's to catch the ball. Hence you have more catches, more yards and more TD's by both WR's and QB's since 1978. I did a spreadsheet a while back that showed most QB's benefited from the 1978 rule change with an average of about 5% increase in completion percentages. It did make a difference. The fact that McGee and Hutson have the numbers they do makes it all that more impressive.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Dowler is 1 in11.8
Sharpe is 1 in9.1
Dale is 1 in 7.8 as a Packer.
And Driver is currently 1 in 7.6.

Again, you have to keep the rules in context. The new rules make it easier for WR's to catch the ball. Hence you have more catches, more yards and more TD's by both WR's and QB's since 1978. I did a spreadsheet a while back that showed most QB's benefited from the 1978 rule change with an average of about 5% increase in completion percentages. It did make a difference. The fact that McGee and Hutson have the numbers they do makes it all that more impressive.

Hutson was also the first "modern" receiver. He revolutionized how routes were run. The first tall, fast wide receiver. He could be put into an argument for greatest in NFL history.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If footballs history was treated like baseballs, Hutson would be Babe Ruth.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts