Packers about to make mistake of letting James Jones go?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Fans can look at the Packers current UFAs and prioritize them. But a GM should be looking at the roster going forward and assess how signing UFAs affects the position, the cap, and the roster overall going forward. That’s why if you are just looking at the Packers current UFAs it’s easier to prioritize Jones’ signing than if you look at the roster going forward. Neither Nelson nor Cobb are current UFAs but their future extensions have to be taken into consideration when looking at Jones’ situation, as well as the other WRs under contract and the fact that Thompson has had great success finding WRs in the draft. The cap consequence obviously affects the entire roster going forward. And it’s not this simple but would signing a veteran UFA safety who could solidify one safety spot be more important than keeping Jones? Even though losing Jones hurts both the talent and depth at WR, IMO it would be.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boykin can do a lot of what he does and we need Cobb, Nelson, Shields etc more. They need to be smart with money and can't afford luxury things like having a slightly better #3 wideout.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and the fact that Thompson has had great success finding WRs in the draft.
This might be the best point. TT should be able to find more WR while blindfolded. It's his position of strength. I wouldn't act that way on the defensive side of the ball but certainly at WR he's earned the right to replace through the draft.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM all but said Jones will not be back with his quotes today...

"I'm as high on [Jarrett] Boykin as anybody in our building"
"He had a heck of a year, and I still think he has another jump in him... I've always liked Jarrett. I've always felt he had it"

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Tough call,but I would let him go. Got plenty of other damn good receivers in Nelson,Cobb,Boykin looking pretty good,and whoever we pick up in the draft.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

"He had a heck of a year, and I still think he has another jump in him... I've always liked Jarrett. I've always felt he had it"

I said it many times now, I think Boykin has shown more than enough for us to feel excited about him. I can't wait to see him have a shot at more playing time.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of NFL teams only have 1-2 quality WRs. Even with Jones leaving, that leaves us with 3 (Nelson/Cobb/Boykin)

And here we are worried about not having 4 quality WRs when some other NFL teams barely even have 1. Look at Seattle and their WRs....they basically have a bunch of #2 guys.

A lot of NFL teams would love to have 3 quality WRs, LOL

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the money, I think when most people think about it without emotion you need to spend it on defense.

That said, TT surprised me twice when we re-signed James Jones and Jermichael Finley previously.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like JJ but this is a deeeep draft at wr. It would be nice to have a big guy who can leap and get deep! I honestly don't anticipate JJ or Finley being back unfortunately.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You're right, he totally said Jones wasn't coming back.

Please link to quotes in the future.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is going to burn my *** is when JJ is gone and he is making less money than Brad Jones. The man has been very productive and durable for the most part.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol... well it certainly wasnt a ringing endorsement for James Jones either but it was for Boykin. Youre right he didnt come out and say we werent going to resign him but try and read between the lines.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7817/jarrett-boykin

There you are sir!

Thanks. I like to think the praise for Boykin was based on the young WR's performance and not some kind of veiled reference to the fact that we're letting Jones go.

FWIW, I think the Packers won't take any action with Jones (if any) until after the draft when free agency has opened up. There's no reason to burn any bridges with him, especially if he represents excellent value on a modest extension in a soft WR market.

I understand your point about the writing on the wall and I hope the front office makes discussions with Nelson and Cobb higher priorities.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I appreciate Jones but with Boykin emerging as a solid #3, this is a no-brainer.

Of Jones, Cobb, and Nelson, who do you let walk? All will be FA's within 13 months if not signed before then. You're not going to keep all 3. So if you let one walk, I would certainly assume most would agree it should be Jones. It's a tough business and sometimes you have to make tough decisions and see good players go play for other teams. That's how it goes.

They'll quite possibly take a mid-round WR as well. It's a deep crop of WR's in this draft. Abbrederis would be a great fit if he slips to the 4th or so.

Reaction score
Not official yet. He hit free agency before and ended up back with the Packers.
But that was due to the lack of offers. I don't think teams will be shy to give him a contract this time around. He's made some spectacular catches

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is going to burn my *** is when JJ is gone and he is making less money than Brad Jones. The man has been very productive and durable for the most part.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

By the way, I remember leading the choir about the ability of Boykin before last year.
But he's not James Jones. Seriously, this guy has been so reliable and dependable for 7 seasons. On the field.
Led the NFL in TD catches in 2012.
A perfect fit for our offense.

And a great teammate, an A+.
You can't overvalue a combination like that.
And he's not old.
Ted drafted him, higher than ANY mock draft or expert predicted, and he paid off.
He's Ted's guy.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

By the way, I remember leading the choir about the ability of Boykin before last year.
But he's not James Jones. Seriously, this guy has been so reliable and dependable for 7 seasons. On the field.

And he's not old.
Ted drafted him, higher than ANY mock draft or expert predicted, and he paid off.
He's Ted's guy.

Right now it´s all speculation about what a certain player is asking for and if Ted should bring him back. I agree that Jones has been a valuable #3 WR and if he´s asking for #3 WR money I would be all for re-signing him. If he´s asking for more though I will be fine with letting him walk and have Boykin as our #3.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We get it you love James Jones, but he isn't a top priority I don't know how you don't see that. If Ted has done one thing right it's find WR's not even you can argue that. Murphy, Greg, Jordy, Jones, Cobb, Boykin, and from everything I've read they like Kevin Dorsey as well.

The position will be fine and I'd expect TT to draft another and sign a few as UDFA's. Also, you act like losing Jones depletes the WR group. We still have Jordy who IMO is a top 10 NFL WR, and one of the most dynamic young WR's in the game in Cobb, both of which need to be resigned.

As I've said before, I have nothing against James Jones as a player this is purely from a business and financial standpoint. We just have too many other needs to take care of and the #3 WR just isn't one of them. Some team is going to get a very solid player, and I wish him all the best but I just hope it isn't here.

Agreed completely. Besides as this team moves towards more of a balanced Offense we wont need as many pass catchers as we've needed in the past.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And he's not old.
He's Ted's guy.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Would you rather throw 4-5 million per at James Jones or spend that money on a FA Defensive player? Take your emotion out of it and answer this question, which scenario helps the Green Bay Packers accomplish their ultimate goal of winning a Super Bowl? James Jones and no $ spent on a defensive free agent or Jarrett Boykin and a defensive free agent?

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you rather throw 4-5 million per at James Jones or spend that money on a FA Defensive player?

James Jones and no $ spent on a defensive free agent or Jarrett Boykin and a defensive free agent?
If Teddy will actually go out and bring in a good S or ILB, for 4-5 million per, than I am all for it.
I don't think Jones will get as much $ as some thing.
Remember Cullen Jenkins only got like 3 years, 8 million after the 2010 season, and we sorely missed him in 2011 and 2012. Yet look how much we paid Brad Jones and even Hawk.

Members online

Latest posts