Packers 8-8 this year?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
IMO, teams will ultimately be judged on what they do during the regular season and post-season, not what they do in the offseason.

Frankly, I've quit worrying about what happens with the Packers this offseason. As you know, I'm also not a real big TT fan (mostly because I'm not convinced he's a very good evaluator of talent) and really look at this season as a win/win situation, regardless of how it turns out.

If the Packers do have a good year and win enough games to finally have a winning season and make it to the playoffs, I'll be thrilled (and surprised). And if they don't, I'll think it's going to be another nail in the coffin of a GM who's lack of success will be that much harder to ignore for the powers-that-be at Lambeau Field.

Either way, the future will be looking better for the Green & Gold IMO. Think I'll sit back and enjoy the ride. :twocents:

I'm in the same boat. However I think Ted is a good evaluator of talent, but a **** poor salesman. (for the imbreeds out there ie pyle, that means i dont think he puts much effort into bringing people in, if they say no, i get the notion he just shrugs it off an moves on)

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
IMO, teams will ultimately be judged on what they do during the regular season and post-season, not what they do in the offseason.

Frankly, I've quit worrying about what happens with the Packers this offseason. As you know, I'm also not a real big TT fan (mostly because I'm not convinced he's a very good evaluator of talent) and really look at this season as a win/win situation, regardless of how it turns out.

If the Packers do have a good year and win enough games to finally have a winning season and make it to the playoffs, I'll be thrilled (and surprised). And if they don't, I'll think it's going to be another nail in the coffin of a GM who's lack of success will be that much harder to ignore for the powers-that-be at Lambeau Field.

Either way, the future will be looking better for the Green & Gold IMO. Think I'll sit back and enjoy the ride. :twocents:

I'm in the same boat. However I think Ted is a good evaluator of talent, but a **** poor salesman. (for the imbreeds out there ie pyle, that means i dont think he puts much effort into bringing people in, if they say no, i get the notion he just shrugs it off an moves on)

Imbreed? What a bunch of garbage.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
(for the imbreeds out there ie pyle, that means i dont think he puts much effort into bringing people in, if they say no, i get the notion he just shrugs it off an moves on)

To me that is uncalled for, if you don't like his opinions don't read nor pay attention to them. That is a bunch of crap :chalflag:

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As of right now, Packers are undefeated. And if you really look at the schedule, there aren't any games the Packers can't win so, until proven otherwise, I am looking at 16-0 and superbowl.

Unrealistic? I am AS unrealistic as the writer of that article and anyone else on this board... IT is ALL a matter of opinion.

Did a journalist or a pundit come forward in 1972 and say that the Dolphins would win every game?

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow this was entertaining... at least we have each other to beat on during the off-season.

The article was funny, except for the part where ANY receiver playing against GB was going to catch three TDs. Harris/Woodson, need I say more?

Terrell Buckley, that's funny. Thanks for the bad memories.

As for how you watch a Packer game, hopeful or not, I used to be a hopeful watcher, but now I keep my expectations dampened. I've had to learn to separate myself from the team. A loss would ruin my week, and well, I couldn't deal with that, so I've learned to enjoy watching them play more than watching them win. There was a home game shoot out against KC a few years ago (I think Trent Green was their QB). Anyway, it was a great game, we lost in the end, however I was proud of how we played. That's how I approach watching the games now.

Oh and add in Tivo, if the Vikings are driving on us, I fast forward. That helps a lot. the good news is I didn't have to do that too much last year. :)

On to Pyle, I have one question, you mentioned early in this thread that TT is not a risk taker (something along those lines). I can understand why you think that as he seems to be the quiet poker player at the table who blinds until others are gone. However, I was wondering what your take on the Woodson deal was last year? I thought that was VERY risky for GM who supposedly doesn't play in Free Agency, to spend big $ on a injury prone CB who's productivity has been slipping. I remember this board when that deal happened, and I think people were split about it. Now that's Woodson's put in a good season it's easy to look back and say it wasn't risky, but to me, it was a huge risk. What are your thoughts on that? Was it risky, or no? If not, why not?

Thanks.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pyle......seems to me you just like to argue, period. You use a lame article for reasons why the Packers will be no better then 8-8, then tell me i can't agree with someone else's assesment.
You are guilty of exactly what you keep yelling that everyone else is doing. You pick and choose what so called "journalists" write that think the same as you, and write off any that don't agree with you. Had you posted an article where the writer used SENSIBLE reasons why he came to the 8-8 conclusion, then maybe your argument would make some sense. But the reasons that guy used to come to those conclusions are just plain stupid.
So, a person thats ONLY a fan, but writes SENSIBLE stuff obviously holds no water, but if a guy gets PAID to write, that some how makes what he writes believeable?
I don't agree with people calling you names on here, thats uncalled for in my view. But i can understand how they would get frustrated with you when you use such backwards reasoning, and then staunchly stand by it. Can't you see the hipocritical postings you wrote? You blast people for agreeing with a writer when they believe the same as the person posting, then do the very same thing yourself.
You are guilty of the same things you yell about everyone else doing.

OP
OP
P

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pyle......seems to me you just like to argue, period. You use a lame article for reasons why the Packers will be no better then 8-8, then tell me i can't agree with someone else's assesment.

You are guilty of exactly what you keep yelling that everyone else is doing. You pick and choose what so called "journalists" write that think the same as you, and write off any that don't agree with you. Had you posted an article where the writer used SENSIBLE reasons why he came to the 8-8 conclusion, then maybe your argument would make some sense. But the reasons that guy used to come to those conclusions are just plain stupid.
So, a person thats ONLY a fan, but writes SENSIBLE stuff obviously holds no water, but if a guy gets PAID to write, that some how makes what he writes believeable?
I don't agree with people calling you names on here, thats uncalled for in my view. But i can understand how they would get frustrated with you when you use such backwards reasoning, and then staunchly stand by it. Can't you see the hipocritical postings you wrote? You blast people for agreeing with a writer when they believe the same as the person posting, then do the very same thing yourself.

Who is arguing?

I give up. How am I supposed to respond to someone who just doesn't get it.

You know the greatest thing about me posting stuff is the fact that I post something gets a bigger response than the post itself.

I could post Nick Collins has a wart and some of you guys would turn it into me trying to bash TT. I have seen enough to know that some of you get it, some of you don't and some of you are infatuated with me. You know who you are.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I almost stopped reading after the "roster isn't as good" part.

Roster isn't as good? What's he been drinking?

Is Jennings not going to be better after a years experience?

How about Colledge, Spitz, or, even Wells after his first full season starting?

Hawk? Poppinga? What? We expect LESS maybe than last year?

The fact that they finally got it right moving Jenkins to DE there at the end doesn't bode well roster wise?

I don't know maybe I am completely off here but I have always thought that you could expect improvement with experience. If thats the case than how can anyone, after all the games rookies played last year, say the roster is "not as good?"

Pack93z

Reaction score
I almost stopped reading after the "roster isn't as good" part.

Roster isn't as good? What's he been drinking?

Is Jennings not going to be better after a years experience?

How about Colledge, Spitz, or, even Wells after his first full season starting?

Hawk? Poppinga? What? We expect LESS maybe than last year?

The fact that they finally got it right moving Jenkins to DE there at the end doesn't bode well roster wise?

I don't know maybe I am completely off here but I have always thought that you could expect improvement with experience. If thats the case than how can anyone, after all the games rookies played last year, say the roster is "not as good?"

The only areas that yell set back from last year is RB and maybe Fullback in terms of experience. Other than that we should expect growth.

Losing Green on paper makes the roster look weakened at this point, but there is more offseason.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and the fullback isn't really a loss, since henderson was actually a backup for much of the year. miree, like those mentioned above, has also gained a year of experience so i think fullback play should be improved this year.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Henderson and the leadership that he brought will be a blow, that is what I mean more so in terms of experience.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree with that assessment. has he retired? if so, hopefully we can bring him in at some point in the future to some type of leadership position within the organization.

Pack93z

Reaction score
That to me would be excellent for the Packers organization, bringing a first class player back here to work in the front office.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

Who is arguing?

I give up. How am I supposed to respond to someone who just doesn't get it.

You know the greatest thing about me posting stuff is the fact that I post something gets a bigger response than the post itself.

I could post Nick Collins has a wart and some of you guys would turn it into me trying to bash TT. I have seen enough to know that some of you get it, some of you don't and some of you are infatuated with me. You know who you are.
I give up...........you yourself stated somewhere that you wish you could have a positive outlook like i do. Fact is, you choose not too. Quite frankly, i was just trying to help you. But you can't help someone that doesn't really want help.
Have you or have you not posted MANY postings pointing to how much you hate Ted Thompson? I'll answer for you.............YES you have. I don't care anymore if you hate the guy or not.
And for sure i'm NOT infatuated with you, like i said, i was stupidly trying to show you HOW to try to have a more positive approach to TT and what the Packers are trying to do. I thought it might make it all a little more fun for you, instead of such obvious stress.
You win.......i give up.
I'm not going to allow myself to become stressed over it because of all your negative posts.
I guess the world needs someone like you to offset the stupid optomists like me.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can say whatever you want about the guy but he's the only one, anywhere, that says the Packers roster is not as good as last year.

Anyone can make any statement but writers should have a responsibility for accuracy and this guy would have a real hard time breaking this roster down and finding it WEAKER than last year. Especially before the draft or before the year begins. TT has like $17 mil in the kitty. Hello. He's not done yet there fella.

To date we have not done much of anything in free agency. That is a FAR CRY from this roster not being as strong as last year.

Other than making that rediculous statement he went on to go out on a limb on like one game in his predictions. Pretty much a waste of paper if you ask me.

If every article smelled, donkey do comes to mind, and I am not about to get to worked up over anything so poorly thought out.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, we are weaker at RB w/o Green or as yet his replacement. Luckily, there are plenty of good RBs available this year. So that's a temporary problem. Our biggest hope, or at least mine, is that the OL will improve substantially so as to allow more 4+ yds. running plays. It all starts there for me. If they are overpowered by those huge DTs, we're in big trouble again. How times have changed. Now 300# OL are a bit undersized and must use the ZBS to create running lanes. Who'd a thunk it? I'm anxious to see how many OL TT drafts. That will definitely inform us what he thinks of our present crew. I do have high hopes for them but injuries are always so close. There are some decent guards available in later rounds.

Members online

Latest posts