Packers 1st round ...A trade 29 for 33 and 108

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Are the Green Bay Packers a football team or a NFL QB training academy ?
Ted is just taunting all his haters, he's saying "look b1tche$, I make the picks around here. Shut your pie holes and let me do my work or I'll go all Deshone Kizer on you"

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Some scenarios:

-Jacksonville moves from #35 to #33 for Kizer, throwing in pick #148 of the 5th round.

-L.A. Chargers move up from #38 to #33 for their QB of the future, throwing in pick #113 of the 4th round.

-N.Y. Jets move up from #39 to #33 for Kizer, throwing in pick #150 of the 5th round and a 4th round pick in 2018 (they don't have a 4th this year) OR Packers give up #'s 33, 108, and 172 for #'s 39 and 70.

-New Orleans pays #42 and #76 for #33 and #108.

-Buffalo pays #44 and #75 for #33 and #108.

Personally, my favorite scenarios are the Jacksonville and LA ones. Move down a very small range and pick up an extra mid rounder and call it good.

Lamp, King, Bowser, Willis, Awuzie, Lamp, and Kamara are guys that I still really like. You throw in Mixon and/or McDowell if they don't have compunction about them. Chris Wormley and Taylor Moton are dark horses. So in any case, you're talking about a cluster of somewhere between 6 and 10 guys. So moving down as far as #42 or #44 could be quite risky.

EDIT: I forgot about Obi Melifonwu.

KevinR

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This strikes me as a bit odd. Since 2008, TT has spent two picks on a QB-- a 5th and a 7th. The only reason he drafted one in round 2 in 2008 was because it was still unclear what Rodgers would become. And the time he spent a 1 on a QB before that, it worked out about as well as anyone could possibly imagine. It's not as though he's been sinking a lot of resources into the position.

Was that 2008 pick Brian Brohm ? Who washed out of the NFL...UFL and CFL ?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Was that 2008 pick Brian Brohm ? Who washed out of the NFL...UFL and CFL ?

Yeah. Brohm washed out, and 7th round pick Flynn thrived as a backup and then made out like a bandit.

But the only reason TT went QB high that year was because he didn't know what he had in Rodgers yet. I have no doubts he would do the same now if he felt that AR war nearing the end, but I doubt he feels that way at this time.

The Packers aside, I think Kizer's ceiling is the highest of any QB in this class. His 2015 season was the best single campaign of any passer this class has to offer. So I am not at all surprised that they like him. But liking him and drafting him are two different things.

H

HardRightEdge

Also their long time comment about Packer People would go out the window.
After the string of suspensions, particularly Jolly's and Guion's antics, I think we need a precise definition of "Packer person." It seems to have been left to one's imagination.

If it includes "good guys" who made a mistake and deserve a second chance (or third chance in Guion's case under a renegotiated contract), then maybe Mixon qualifies.

That said, I'd be quite surprised if they took him at #33. Perhaps further down the board with one their picks in trade for #33. ;)

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers never even considered him
Which was a bad move in my opinion, mark this down....

TJ Watt will have a much better season than the aging, injury prone, body destroyed by steroid abuse lb we will be paying 16 million dollars this year.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Some scenarios:

-Jacksonville moves from #35 to #33 for Kizer, throwing in pick #148 of the 5th round.

-L.A. Chargers move up from #38 to #33 for their QB of the future, throwing in pick #113 of the 4th round.

-N.Y. Jets move up from #39 to #33 for Kizer, throwing in pick #150 of the 5th round and a 4th round pick in 2018 (they don't have a 4th this year) OR Packers give up #'s 33, 108, and 172 for #'s 39 and 70.

-New Orleans pays #42 and #76 for #33 and #108.

-Buffalo pays #44 and #75 for #33 and #108.

Personally, my favorite scenarios are the Jacksonville and LA ones. Move down a very small range and pick up an extra mid rounder and call it good.

Lamp, King, Bowser, Willis, Awuzie, Lamp, and Kamara are guys that I still really like. You throw in Mixon and/or McDowell if they don't have compunction about them. Chris Wormley and Taylor Moton are dark horses. So in any case, you're talking about a cluster of somewhere between 6 and 10 guys. So moving down as far as #42 or #44 could be quite risky.

EDIT: I forgot about Obi Melifonwu.
Its a little farther than I would like, but the Cardinals is another one. We ship #33 and #108 for #45 and #77

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If TT is going to trade this one, I'm fine as long as he leaves just enough "top tier" guys between #33 and the traded pick, to get one of them. Anything beyond that and TT is saying he is content coming out of the draft with a 2nd tier guy and a few extra swings at trying to address some glaring needs. I am hoping he gets aggressive, uses the #33 pick to trade back just a few spots and then the 2 extra picks acquired yesterday and today to either get another 2nd round pick or improve our current second round pick.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

TJ Watt will have a much better season than the aging, injury prone, body destroyed by steroid abuse lb we will be paying 16 million dollars this year.
James Harrison?

Yeah I know.. It was funny

H

HardRightEdge

Pick #33 for #s 45 and 77? I'm not sure his man or men could possibly drop another 12 spots.
You never know. There's not going to be a ton of difference in the grades between #33 and #50 if Thompson did not identify a particular value at #33 in the first place in making the trade.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Technically, we are "only" paying Clay an "additional" $10,975,000 if he is on the 53 man roster, but I get your drift.

H

HardRightEdge

Its a little farther than I would like, but the Cardinals is another one. We ship #33 and #108 for #45 and #77
That would be even-steven on the JJ draft chart. In an auction scenario, you should do better than that. Skip the #108. #134 instead would be a 40 point edge. You might even do a little better than that.

If the league is going to consistently take QBs where they've been taking them with little regard for the quality of the players or the draft class, that desperation should be exploited. None of these guys are ready for prime time in season one or even season two, but they pick 'em high anyway.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That would be even-steven on the JJ draft chart. In an auction scenario, you should do better than that. Skip the #108. #134 instead would be a 40 point edge. You might even do a little better than that.

If the league is going to consistently take QBs where they've been taking them with little regard for the quality of the players or the draft class, that desperation should be exploited. None of these guys are ready for prime time in season one or even season two, but they pick 'em high anyway.

It should be exploited but you don't want to completely lose track of the guy or guys your targeting either.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Harrison?

Yeah I know.. It was funny
That is funny and for the record, I don't think the trade was bad at all, I think it was a good trade and I do understand it. I simply think we passed on a guy that is going to be a multiple pro bowl selection in his career and we are overpaying Matthews who will more than likely deal with nagging injuries and little production from him again.

KevinR

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. Brohm washed out, and 7th round pick Flynn thrived as a backup and then made out like a bandit.

But the only reason TT went QB high that year was because he didn't know what he had in Rodgers yet. I have no doubts he would do the same now if he felt that AR war nearing the end, but I doubt he feels that way at this time.

The Packers aside, I think Kizer's ceiling is the highest of any QB in this class. His 2015 season was the best single campaign of any passer this class has to offer. So I am not at all surprised that they like him. But liking him and drafting him are two different things.

I would just rather see the Packers focus on the 2017 season and not the 2027 season.

H

HardRightEdge

It should be exploited but you don't want to completely lose track of the guy or guys your targeting either.
That goes without saying. However, this may be a case where there isn't one particular guy being targeted, one who jumps out at #33. That's probably the case since none jumped out #29, and #30 #31 or #32 would not have been that guy either.

It could be a case of a bunch of guys still on the board with grades clusted in the mid-2nd on down.

I'd take Awuzi at #33. If it were Mixon I'd not be disappointed but I think you get him lower down. Thompson may think otherwise, and probably does.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would just rather see the Packers focus on the 2017 season and not the 2027 season.

That's fair. I was just pointing out that TT does not treat this team as a QB development factory.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That goes without saying. However, this may be a case where there isn't one particular guy being targeted, one who jumps out at #33. That's probably the case since none jumped out #29, and #30 #31 or #32 would not have been that guy either.

It could be a case of a bunch of guys still on the board with grades clusted in the mid-2nd on down.

I'd take Awuzi at #33. If it were Mixon I'd not be disappointed but I think you get him lower down. Thompson may think otherwise, and probably does.

I don't think Mixon will make it past Cincinnati at 41. If they want to go corner and then trade up for Mixon or vice versa I'd be fine with that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Kizer with the #33 pick would make zero sense to me, unless TT views him as the second coming of Rodgers. We are already carrying Hundley, who we are hoping never sees the field but is merely a capable backup and future trade bait. Kizer would be the exact same thing, but as a #3 QB, that gets no playing time to prove his trade value (until Hundley is gone) and someone that you would have to carry on the 53 man roster. Might as well throw the pick away on a punter, at least he would suit up and improve the team. :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think Mixon will make it past Cincinnati at 41. If they want to go corner and then trade up for Mixon or vice versa I'd be fine with that.
It wouldn't shock me if there was a team that was interested in Mixon is the one calling TT non-stop today trying to make the trade. He is about the only "healthy" player available that could be viewed (by some teams) as a major steal at #33.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It wouldn't shock me if there was a team that was interested in Mixon is the one calling TT non-stop today trying to make the trade. He is about the only "healthy" player available that could be viewed (by some teams) as a major steal at #33.

It's being reported that Jets, Chargers and Bucs are trying to get pick 33

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

This is why I don't want TT to get cute with it and just get up there and take Mixon at 33. They can trade back up if they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts