Packers 1st round ...A trade 29 for 33 and 108

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Venkman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A totally expected and wise trade, I'd say.

As for what comes next, if we pick, it's got to be King or Wilson imo. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see us move again. I trust Ted, seems like I might be in the minority.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fine with the trade because I don't expect any Packers rookie to really make an impact this year. HaHa was essentially the last Packers rookie to make a serious impact in Year 1. I'm alright with just moving back, rolling the dice a few extra times, and seeing what eventually happens.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope TT keeps the pick. When is the last time the Packers had the first pick of the 2nd round and with some quality players still available?

Make the pick Ted.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope TT keeps the pick. When is the last time the Packers had the first pick of the 2nd round and with some quality players still available?

Make the pick Ted.

Having the first pick in the second is a great time to trade. It is over valued because teams have all night to see who is left and the Packers have a ton of leverage. If the Packers can trade the pick and stay in the first 6 to 8 picks I think it makes a ton of sense.

If they want King stay put. If they want another cb, or a rb or Olb then trade down

H

HardRightEdge

This is a paricularily deep draft. We are in a talent tier getting the same value at 33 as 29. To me, we just got a free pick. There will be players available in the 4th that the Packers had the same grade on selected in the 2nd round last year.
The idea of "talent tier" is a little broad once the pick is imminent. I think it's more a case of having a small handful of players they would have been targeting at #29 based on the their initial projections of how the board would fall and as it turned out enough of them were still unpicked. It's an example of staying true to the board.

It's pretty evident that at #29:

1) Thompson (or is it Thompson/Wolf or Wolf/Thompson?) did not have a player left on the board that stood out at that position grade wise.

2) They had that handful of players they would be happy to take at #33 at the time of the trade.

3) If those players did not come off the board at #29 - #32, another trade down may be in the cards. They would not have had interest in an ILB, especially one with an injury issue, or an OT. The only guy who might have dropped out of the cluster is Watt, maybe, given he'd be a depth pick.

4) Thompson says he's getting calls for the #33 pick.

5) Does Cleveland still have their #52 and #65 picks? :eek: Crazy, right? Well, Thompson may have a big grade cluster in the 30 - 65 range. Cleveland didn't get their QB yet. Packers #33 + #134 + #172 would make that trade even-steven on the draft chart. If Cleveland likes Kizer enough Thompson could get another pick as a kicker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sky King

Reaction score
are BIGGEST NEED is STILL cornerback honestly lol.... it's not a linebacker....
My guess is that TT feels the team needs better CB play rather than a highly-rated CB obtained via the draft. Otherwise, why trade down instead of up? Also, he may feel that a better pass rush will contribute to better CB play. We can't ever go by what he says, only by what he does and then try to sort it out without hearing any revealing details (from him). He's a tough nut to crack by his own design. He's not a fan-pleasing GM unless we have an abundance of tar and feathers to get rid of.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind going bowser then Witherspoon then perine in the third
I wouldn't either. Perine is a monster. Pound for pound, maybe the strongest player in the draft this year with underappreciated vision. He isn't a burner but has enough juice to break a long gainer. He put up really solid numbers even though he split carries with Mixon. Plus he's a great kid with his head on straight. He would make a nice compliment to Monty and be a load to take on come 3rd/4th and short and late game situations.

H

HardRightEdge

You and I are thinking a like then

King, who has been compared to Sherman, would be great

And then a 3rd and/or 4th round pick(s) package for Sherman would be FANTASTIC

I'm sure it would be doable as Sherman's value has dropped substantially
I see little in the King-Sherman comparison other than height and hops. Sherman is twitchy and physical, long on technique compensating for somewhat below average in speed. People tend to forget Sherman ran 4.60 / 4.53 at the Combine / Pro Day but it turned out the on-field football skills were off the charts.

King is not very twitchy and not very physical with better speed than Sherman.

Frankly, I would not care for a King pick at #33. He looks like an off/zone corner whereas what the Packers need in recreating Shields is a press/man guy. In fact, a King pick may get us yet another centerfielder FS trying to play man corner.

I'm where I am now at the same spot I was at the start: a man/press corner who can start right away is not on the board. Awuzi's upside is he might fit the bill as an upgrade coming out of competition if not exactly a shutdown guy, but if he doesn't fit that bill he fills the need for a nickel/safety swing man. He's a pretty twitchy guy and fairly physical for a perimeter upgrade or for covering those quick slot receivers and TEs. He needs to clean up his tackling. He goes for the high hit and doesn't wrap up, but a guy who just likes to knock people down is a good starting point.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I loved the move given how many guys were left on the board for them.

I thought Foster might be a steal there, but there are some concerns with him apparently and TT simply doesn't value off ball linebackers like that.

Now you're sitting at 33 with Willis, Bowser, King, Awuzie, Kamara and Lamp all on the board. And if they're OK with the off-field issues, Mixon and McDowell are there as well. They could ostensibly trade down again and still get a guy from that tier.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind going bowser then Witherspoon then perine in the third
Witherspoon has many of the same attributes King has but at a lower price tag. Bowser is going to be a player once he figures it out. The kid hasn't played a ton of ball and has only begun to scratch the surface of his talent IMO. Tonight should be interesting...

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A totally expected and wise trade, I'd say.

As for what comes next, if we pick, it's got to be King or Wilson imo. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see us move again. I trust Ted, seems like I might be in the minority.
With virtually a whole day on the phones for this pick, I'd be shocked if TT does not add at least another 3rd to the mix.
If the pick is not moved, everybody seems to have their favorite corner :), I'd put in a plug for Wilson. He doesn't have the top end speed but, good size, tough, and we haven't had a decent tackling corner since Woodson left.
I rarely agree with Kiper but, I like Lamp too. He seems to be the type this regime likes, a Left Tackle in a Guard's body very much like Lang.
For the moment, I think the RB and OLB ship has sailed unless you love Mixon. I also like Foreman at RB, Bowser, and McKinley at OLB but, it's a bit high.

In any case, this is an intriguing position to be in.

H

HardRightEdge

Great trade. Packers will likely be taking the player at 33 that they were planning on at 29. I am leaning towards Chidobe over King. If its Mixon, I would be only mildly surprised. It will not be cook or Lamp. If we can pick up another 4th by dropping another 4-5 picks, do it!
The Packers are viscerally averse to taking RBs in the first round. Now we're in the 2nd.! ;)

Seriously, though, Mixon would be a surprise at #33 given the NFL's posture toward violence against women. Call me cynical, but what this is about women being the last frontier in a nearly saturated market.

Banning Mixon from the Combine is a message to owners that you are not to reward this guy. Kraft, for example, has embraced the PR line in taking him off his board altogether. Kraft is a man of highest moral standards (as is his GM), doncha know, being a football gambling entrepreneur. Surely many others with less league clout have followed. While there is certainly no memo from the league stating "don't reward this guy or else", there is a clear message being sent. Some. but not many, owners, would risk finding out what the "or else" consequence might lurk if they go against league messaging.

Setting aside the whole PR thing, while this incident is not in the least excusable, it should be taken into account that it happened nearly 3 years ago when the guy was 18 with no repeat offenses we're aware of. There is reason to believe this was a one-off reflexive reaction to being pushed and slapped.

Thompson interviewed the guy. When he's done so in the past with high grade/black mark guys, he's never taken the guy in line with his grade. I can't recall him taking such a guy. Maybe he hasn't liked the interviews; maybe they didn't fall far enough.

The Packer play on Mixon is probably one where if Thompson is satisfied with Mixon's mea culpas (I know I am) and he falls far enough to meet the PR threshold of punishment, then you might see the pick. How far down might that be? I think at least the 3rd. round where the money isn't much more than the rookie minimum. That's a lot of punishment.

Wouldn't that be something? A very talented player with a big 4 year chip on his shoulder in getting to the real money.

Last edited by a moderator:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Enlighten me. I thought a stroke WAS a brain stroke.

It kind of is my friend. But the actual stroke usually occurs when there is a clogged vessel that supplies blood TO the brain. Teds skipped the vessels and went right to the brain. Hope that helps

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The Packers are viscerally averse to taking RBs in the first round. Now we're in the 2nd.! ;)

Seriously, though, Mixon would be a surprise at #33 given the NFL's posture toward violence against women. Call me cynical, but what this is about is women being the last frontier in a nearly saturated market.

Banning Mixon from the Combine is a message to owners that you are not to reward this guy. Kraft, for example, has embraced the PR line in taking him off his board altogether. Kraft is a man of highest moral standards (as is his GM), doncha know, being a football gambling entrepreneur. Surely many others with less league clout have followed. While there is certainly no memo from the league stating "don't reward this guy or else", there is a clear message being sent. Some. but not many, owners, would risk finding out what the "or else" consequence might lurk if they go against league messaging.

Setting aside the whole PR thing, while this incident is not in the least excusable, it should be taken into account that it happened nearly 3 years ago when the guy was 18 with no repeat offenses we're aware of. There is reason to believe this was a one-off reflexive reaction to being pushed and slapped.

Thompson interviewed the guy. When he's done so in the past with high grade/black mark guys, he's never taken the guy in line with his grade.

The Packer play on Mixon is probably one where if Thompson is satisfied with Mixon's mea culpas (I know I am) and he falls far enough to meet the PR threshold of punishment, then you might see the pick. How far down might that be? I think at least the 3rd. round where the money isn't much more than the rookie minimum.

Wouldn't that be something. A very talented player with a big 4 year chip on his shoulder in getting to the real money.

I don't see Joe Mixon making it out if the second round. Some scouts have him as best player in draft and he was probably a top 10 pick at least without incident. I expect him to get drafted tonight.

I don't see Mixon making it past 41 and actually I don't see Mixon making it past 33. :cool:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Seriously, though, Mixon would be a surprise at #33 given the NFL's posture toward violence against women. Call me cynical, but what this is about is women being the last frontier in a nearly saturated market.

Thompson interviewed the guy. When he's done so in the past with high grade/black mark guys, he's never taken the guy in line with his grade. I can't recall him taking such a guy. Maybe he hasn't liked the interviews; maybe they didn't fall far enough.

The Packer play on Mixon is probably one where if Thompson is satisfied with Mixon's mea culpas (I know I am) and he falls far enough to meet the PR threshold of punishment, then you might see the pick. How far down might that be? I think at least the 3rd. round where the money isn't much more than the rookie minimum. That's a lot of punishment.

Wouldn't that be something? A very talented player with a big 4 year chip on his shoulder in getting to the real money.
One of your best posts. thought provoking and insightful. Only thing I would argue with is the 3rd round threshold. I'm thinking 2nd round, pick 33.

It definitely needs to be handled quickly and carefully by the Packer PR people.

Mixon needs to say some things upon being picked about regretting and embarrassed by the event. Announce he is going to volunteer at woman's shelters and give to causes, and then say he feels a new sense of responsibility/maturity and wants to make the world a better place. Be humble, own it, and move beyond it. Talk to kids about respecting woman. All sorts of things.

Turn the negative into a positive.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers take Mixon at 33 I'm jumping on the fire TT bandwagon.

He's not even the best RB available, the PR hit will be horrible and there are simply better players at bigger needs available. Even if there was no video of this guy being a supreme ****** I wouldn't touch him before the mid/late 2nd.

Sorry he's not "Adrian Peterson with hands" as one particular poster mentioned. (Nevermind that would imply he's going to be the best RB of all time)

There are more then a few guys we can draft before Mixon should even be considered

H

HardRightEdge

One of your best posts. thought provoking and insightful. Only thing I would argue with is the 3rd round threshold. I'm thinking 2nd round, pick 33.

It definitely needs to be handled quickly and carefully by the Packer PR people.

Mixon needs to say some things upon being picked about regretting and embarrassed by the event. Announce he is going to volunteer at woman's shelters and give to causes, and then say he feels a new sense of responsibility/maturity and wants to make the world a better place. Be humble, own it, and move beyond it. Talk to kids about respecting woman. All sorts of things.

Turn the negative into a positive.
Well, I look at it this way:

Conley dropped to #24, the consensus #2 corner in the draft, a position more prized than RB, especially in Packerland.

Conley is a guy where (1) the story sounds suspect, (2) three weeks on and the guy has not been charged with anything, (3) he has no sanction hanging over his head as with Mixon being banned from the Combine and (4) according to NFL Network draft coverage, he passed a lie detector test.

Mixon will likely be punished with a steeper discount. Consider Ray Rice earned a de facto lifetime ban. When the incident is on tape, it's a whole other paint job from the league's PR perspective.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope if they keep the pick they pass on King. I'd rather see Chidobe Awuzie if theyre going to pick a CB. I have a feeling they are going to trade down again and then Mixon might be the pick.

Here is Kings draft profile. He sounds more like a project than Awuzie

STRENGTHS
Rare height for the position. Solid job of restricting catch window on routes outside the numbers. Shoves receivers toward boundary and drifts into their running lane to decrease catch opportunity. Length creates challenge for receivers used to winning at the high point. Instinctive with good feel for finding football. Allowed just one touchdown over last 101 targets. Six career interceptions with hands to make the circus pick. Patient from press coverage. Quick to turn and locate once his back is to the quarterback. Saw increase in pass breakups in senior season. Willing to get physical with blocking receivers when it comes time to disengage and make a tackle. Has played all four spots in secondary and slot corner as well.
WEAKNESSES
Timed speed and play speed are both concerns. Sluggish feet in press allow quick-releasers to shoot past him. Unable to find necessary acceleration for functional makeup speed. Hands are flimsy in his jams. Could use more upper body strength. High center of gravity makes sudden change of direction a challenge. NFL ball production could be a concern. Takes path to his man over paths to the ball. Lacks desired twitch for NFL transitioning to the throws. Takes too long from bail technique and backpedal to plant and burst on the ball. Ankle biter willing to engage in too many arm tackles and blind shoulder rolls.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Round 1-2
SOURCES TELL US
"I'm not 100 percent sure what you do with him because he's not a physical tackler, but he's almost too tall to be trusted against shifty receivers. Maybe a team like Seattle, which love those long, press corners. Or you might see a team try and make him a free safety." -- West Coast regional scout for AFC team
NFL COMPARISON
Damian Swann
BOTTOM LINE
Unusually tall cornerback with experience playing in the slot and as a starting safety. Showed improved instincts and ball production in 2016, but there are still concerns about whether he has the athleticism and recovery speed to utilize his length to play the football. Might be best suited to more zone coverage or off-man based on his speed limitations, but in either scheme he'll need to improve his aggressiveness as a tackler.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Now you're sitting at 33 with Willis, Bowser, King, Awuzie, Kamara and Lamp all on the board. And if they're OK with the off-field issues, Mixon and McDowell are there as well. They could ostensibly trade down again and still get a guy from that tier.
Can't forget about Dalvin Cook and Quincy Wilson, also. I think dropping a few more spots and picking up another 4th or 5th rd pick would be ideal, with all this talent still there.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The timing is kind of unique since we only relatively recently switched to a 3-day draft format and have never had the first pick of the 2nd day in this format... so anyone have any hunch about whether we'd hear of a trade earlier in the day, or would we not hear of it until they were on the clock this evening?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Can't forget about Dalvin Cook and Quincy Wilson, also. I think dropping a few more spots and picking up another 4th or 5th rd pick would be ideal, with all this talent still there.

Just me, but I can forget about Cook all day long. No thanks.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If the Packers take Mixon at 33 I'm jumping on the fire TT bandwagon.

He's not even the best RB available, the PR hit will be horrible and there are simply better players at bigger needs available. Even if there was no video of this guy being a supreme ****** I wouldn't touch him before the mid/late 2nd.

Sorry he's not "Adrian Peterson with hands" as one particular poster mentioned. (Nevermind that would imply he's going to be the best RB of all time)

There are more then a few guys we can draft before Mixon should even be considered

Well get ready to jump off the TT bandwagon. ;)

I'll be jumping back on.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Just me, but I can forget about Cook all day long. No thanks.
Cook has many off field concerns, just none on video. I'm not a big fan of him either, but considering he's still there, he may be on TT's board.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
The Bears went QB, you know they will go CB in the 2nd. I'd like to trade back, a few more picks, but taking Awuzie or King at #33 would make me feel warm and squishy inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts