Packers 1st pre-season game

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
Steel Wheels said:
I guess you can't read too well. Reread the article real slow....and maybe you will understand the facts....that's if you can read.

Which article? I will locate my Hooked on Phonics tapes and do my best!!

These are the facts, not wishful thinking.

NFL preseason games are a good gauge for regular season success

By Greg Dempson

The very first nationally published article I wrote (in Winner's Edge magazine) contained a football quote by Bill Parcells, the master at winning and covering preseason contests. Parcells stated, "People who think preseason football is meaningless don't know anything about football."

Preseason success is a remarkably accurate barometer in determining a teams' success during the regular season. Did you know that 30 out of the previous 39 Super Bowl champions (76.9%) won .500 or more of their preseason contests straight up? You do now! Since Super Bowl I, the 39 winning teams had a combined preseason margin of 116 - 68 - 2 or 62.3% straight up. Marv Levy was one coach who didn't take the preseason seriously; he had a losing record in three of the four preseason years that Buffalo advanced to the Super Bowl. Perhaps that is one of the reasons why the Bills went 0 - 4 straight up!

Free agency and parity as well as salary caps have changed the way the game is played since 1993. When reviewing the past decade, I noted the following preseason records with regards to the past 11 Super Bowl champions.

1994 - the 49ers went 3 - 1.
1995 - the Cowboys went 2 - 3.
1996 - the Packers 3 - 1.
1997 - the Broncos went 3 - 2.
1998 - the Broncos went 3 - 1.
1999 - the Rams went 2 - 2.
2000 - the Ravens went 4 - 0.
2001 - the Patriots went 3 - 1.
2002 - the Buccaneers went 3 - 1.
2003 - the Patriots went 4 - 0.
2004 - the Patriots went 1-3

The past 11 Super Bowl winners produced a 31 - 15 or 67.3% preseason record and only the Cowboys (1995) and Patriots (2004) had a losing records in the preseason. Both the Cowboys and Patriots were defending Super Bowl Champions so they were able to overcome their poor pre-season records.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Okay, I read it as you requested, I feel I must hand over my Hooked on Phonics tapes to you so you can read and understand it because no where in there does it say you need to win TWO pre season games to reach the Super Bowl.

the Pre-Season means ... ZILTCH

Like the last roll of TP, I'm done with ya on this, lets move on to something else :arrow:

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
Okay, I read it as you requested, I feel I must hand over my Hooked on Phonics tapes to you so you can read and understand it because no where in there does it say you need to win TWO pre season games to reach the Super Bowl.

Like the last roll of TP, I'm done with ya on this, lets move on to something else :arrow:

Ok, I'll help you out. 76.9 % of the Super Bowl winners ( 30 of 39) went .500 or above in pre-season.

The Packers have 4 pre-season games in 2005. For the Packers to be .500 they would need 2 wins.

2/4= .500 Simple math.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
http://www.packers.com/news/schedule/1996/ They did win 3. That was the year everyone panicked because the Colts (during that time they were a doormat team) made the Packers look like a JV team.
Hey SV - I was at the 9th game at the Nipper Dome in '97 ... still got my ticket / Aisle 116-Row 16-Seat 105 / end score was 41-38.... Sittin' down front pretty close to the field by accident almost - got my tix thru a friend on the IUPUI campus at the last minute.... That last field goal was what did it. No one could believe it... I had to put up with everyone splashin' my truck with the next day's paper.... But, we went on to the SuperBowl anyway...! If I remember right, the Colts went 3-13 that year.. and when they came to Lambeau two years later - they lost.

This time around - no one knows, probably until after our BYE WEEK.
Injuries will be the telling signal this year....

I got a question for EVERYBODY - How would you feel if there was NO Pre-season?
I think quite a few Teams would suffer from that type of change in the System.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
SlickVision said:

Ok, I'll help you out. 76.9 % of the Super Bowl winners ( 30 of 39) went .500 or above in pre-season.

The Packers have 4 pre-season games in 2005. For the Packers to be .500 they would need 2 wins.

2/4= .500 Simple math.

ROFL are you reading what you post?? You're silly

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
SlickVision said:
http://www.packers.com/news/schedule/1996/ They did win 3. That was the year everyone panicked because the Colts (during that time they were a doormat team) made the Packers look like a JV team.
Hey SV - I was at the 9th game at the Nipper Dome in '97 ... still got my ticket / Aisle 116-Row 16-Seat 105 / end score was 41-38.... Sittin' down front pretty close to the field by accident almost - got my tix thru a friend on the IUPUI campus at the last minute.... That last field goal was what did it. No one could believe it... I had to put up with everyone splashin' my truck with the next day's paper.... But, we went on to the SuperBowl anyway...! If I remember right, the Colts went 3-13 that year.. and when they came to Lambeau two years later - they lost.

This time around - no one knows, probably until after our BYE WEEK.
Injuries will be the telling signal this year....

I'd like to see the Pre Season narrowed to two games. If players can't get in gear after two games they are not professionals. I feel the extra games are too risky for players to get injured.

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:

Actually the NFL is looking into going to an 18 game schedule with a 2 game pre-season.

In the new setup a team would play their regular 6 games in their division and they would play the remaining teams in their conference once. 6 division games and 12 games with the remaining teams in the conference.

There would be no inter-conference games until the Super Bowl.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
The Packers will need to win 2 pre-season games to remain in contention for the Super Bowl.

ROTFLMAO! That's good, Steel. Did you get that one from the same source that told you Holmgren will be HC in Green Bay next season?

Steel Wheels said:
Actually the NFL is looking into going to an 18 game schedule with a 2 game pre-season.

In the new setup a team would play their regular 6 games in their division and they would play the remaining teams in their conference once. 6 division games and 12 games with the remaining teams in the conference.

There would be no inter-conference games until the Super Bowl.

No interconference games? Then would you care to explain this?

NFL Scheduling Format, 2002-09

The NFL is in its third year of an eight-year period that will take each team through a cycle of games

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
Robert C. Hedley
(Who unlike Steel, looks forward to *yet another* NFC North Title for Green Bay in '05, as well as an extension of Sherman's contract... Go Pack!)

Dream on Bobby Boy...get ready for a big plate of crow.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision said:
LMAO great post man
Ditto - knockin em down.... call that a strike!

Least some Cheeseheads know how to provide a link... as proof!

If you go to www.Southendzone.com - You'll find the Owner of that site makes it possible to see who plays whom all the way thru the current contracted agreement...

I'm sure other sites do too, but that one is probably one of the first Packerfan sites ever built...

Scott's been around a long time with his site. A good friend, too! Scott & his buddy, Dave, started that SAVE LAMBEAU chant the whole country heard....! The should both be congratulated!

Members online

Latest posts