1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Packers 1st pre-season game

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by kemosabe, Aug 2, 2005.

1. kemosabe

kemosabe Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Packers are (2 1/2 pt) favorites at Lambeau vs San Diego in 1st pre-season game.

2. fondypackfan

fondypackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't believe there are spreads in preseason games.

3. P@ck66

P@ck66 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    believe it!

what..you think nobody in America's gonna bet..???

4. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Idk man, but I will tell you this it is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant wait until FOOTBALL SEASON STARTS!! This is awsome! GO PACK GO!!! I cant wait.

5. PackerTraxx

PackerTraxx Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  6. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

had the same thought myself

7. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that does seem wierd. But just by looking at that you can see what is the TOP SPORT in the United States, by far football!!! :mrgreen:

8. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I am more interested in how the O and D linemen perform. I will also be watching our DB's and the rookie WR's.

9. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    We will see what we are made of now.

10. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Here, here.... that's where the game is won!
    Just be ready for the weaknesses to stand out during the first part of the Season.
    It should only get better...

11. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe, it is hard to tell by preseason somtimes, wasn't it the year when the Packers won the superbowl that they lost all of their preseason games, and I might add they looked bad doing it. Correct me if I am wrong, I just seem to remember it as the year that the Packers won it all.

12. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Wrong. They won all but one game.

13. Steel Wheels

Steel Wheels Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

You are wrong again as usual...

The Packers went 3-1 in pre-season in 1996, the season they won the Super Bowl.

The Packers will need to win 2 pre-season games to remain in contention for the Super Bowl.

14. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    So in order to be a super bowl contender you must win 2 pre season games? Thats really odd, why would teams that only get one or goose egg even play the season?

I did a little research and found this

I did only skim over it, however I didnt see any mention about pre season record.

:roll:

15. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    You're right - there isn't any specifics demanding that....
    But, in '96, I do believe we won only one Pre-season game and the skeptics were crowing (like they are now) about how the Packers just might have a hard time making it back to the Playoffs - '95 we won the NFC Central Championship game, but got no further...

[The HATS that you could get (btw) for that year were pretty kool - they had a chunk of cheese on the front - and now they're collector's items... hard to find]

...The pundits on the other hand like to say there's some corrolation about losing in Pre-season and finishing tough in the Playoffs - winning the Superbowl.. but it's just not well founded in its argument. What really should be looked at, is how well they've done by December and are they now injured or are they starting to peak and get on a roll as we head towards Christmas (???) That's what to look for... Some Teams know how to pace themselves... others do not!

Good call, SV!

16. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    What your crazy, why preseason games dont mean anything at all. I dearly hope that you are not serious about that.

17. Steel Wheels

Steel Wheels Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Try reading it slow this time, maybe you'll understand it better...

NFL preseason games are a good gauge for regular season success

By Greg Dempson

The very first nationally published article I wrote (in Winner's Edge magazine) contained a football quote by Bill Parcells, the master at winning and covering preseason contests. Parcells stated, "People who think preseason football is meaningless don't know anything about football."

Preseason success is a remarkably accurate barometer in determining a teams' success during the regular season. Did you know that 30 out of the previous 39 Super Bowl champions (76.9%) won .500 or more of their preseason contests straight up? You do now! Since Super Bowl I, the 39 winning teams had a combined preseason margin of 116 - 68 - 2 or 62.3% straight up. Marv Levy was one coach who didn't take the preseason seriously; he had a losing record in three of the four preseason years that Buffalo advanced to the Super Bowl. Perhaps that is one of the reasons why the Bills went 0 - 4 straight up!

Free agency and parity as well as salary caps have changed the way the game is played since 1993. When reviewing the past decade, I noted the following preseason records with regards to the past 11 Super Bowl champions.

1994 - the 49ers went 3 - 1.
    1995 - the Cowboys went 2 - 3.
    1996 - the Packers 3 - 1.
    1997 - the Broncos went 3 - 2.
    1998 - the Broncos went 3 - 1.
    1999 - the Rams went 2 - 2.
    2000 - the Ravens went 4 - 0.
    2001 - the Patriots went 3 - 1.
    2002 - the Buccaneers went 3 - 1.
    2003 - the Patriots went 4 - 0.
    2004 - the Patriots went 1-3

The past 11 Super Bowl winners produced a 31 - 15 or 67.3% preseason record and only the Cowboys (1995) and Patriots (2004) had a losing records in the preseason. Both the Cowboys and Patriots were defending Super Bowl Champions so they were able to overcome their poor pre-season records.

18. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Please show the link for your source.. if you would... thanks!
    (Dang, coulda sworn the Pack only won one preseason game in '96)

19. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Um............yeah??????? Why do they need to win two preseason games to remain in contention for the superbowl?????!? :?: :?: :?:

20. PackerTraxx

PackerTraxx Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    This team could be very misleading by their preseason record. I would think they are not going to risk Brett, Ahman, Javon, or Flanny very much. And possibly some others on O. On defense they will be looking at a lot of youngsters and rookies quite a bit. So I don't believe we will get a very good read on the team util the last preseason game, if then.

21. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    not this again...

:|

22. Steel Wheels

Steel Wheels Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Well your dang wrong...

23. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    you're

Show me in the NFL Playoff Rules where it states 'for a team to be eligble for conention for that years super bowl said team must have won atleast two pre season games' until you come up with something of that nature, move on to something that can hold water because with this argument you WILL look like a fool the more you preach the pre season 'matters'

24. Steel Wheels

Steel Wheels Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess you can't read too well. Reread the article real slow....and maybe you will understand the facts....that's if you can read.

25. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Which article? I will locate my Hooked on Phonics tapes and do my best!!