Packers’ training camp goes prime time

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/archives/new ... 2803.shtml
Training camp in Green Bay is going to look radically different under coach Mike McCarthy.
[align=right]
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
[/align]

The first-year Packers coach on Tuesday unveiled a schedule that eliminated traditional two-a-day practices and introduced regular evening practices under the lights.

Camp McCarthy will open on July 28 with a 6:30 p.m. workout — the first of eight scheduled night practices under temporary lights to be set up at Clarke Hinkle Field. When the Packers settle into their normal camp routine, the schedule will look like this: One day there will be a 9 a.m. practice in shells (light pads) and a full-pads workout at 6:30 p.m. The following day will feature one full-pads practice at 2 p.m.

A typical day in training camp under recent coaches, going back to Mike Holmgren, would be a morning practice (usually around 8:45) and an afternoon workout (usually around 2:30).

“There’s a number of things I did not like about (the old schedule),â€

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hahahahahahaha. You guys are in for a long season. Either this new coach of yours is sandbagging or you guys are in for a rough season.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
big3 said:
hahahahahahaha. You guys are in for a long season. Either this new coach of yours is sandbagging or you guys are in for a rough season.

Our season will be jus as long as the Lions. 16 games with the possibilty of post season.
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH wait there is no chance for the lions in the post season

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I probably shouldn't have talked smack here in the packerforum but I just couldn't help myself. The lion's have visibly upgraded their coaching staff. Marinelli may be a rookie, but the assistant coaches are a definite upgrade. Mike Martz, Donnie Henderson, Larry Beightol. They also have 100% player participation in the minicamps and OTA's. (anyone who hasn't participated has been traded or cut) Not to mention finally getting a decent qb and adding lots of new options on the offensive line, wide receivers, and linebackers. Those were all problem areas for us last year. What exactly have the Packers or their coaching staff done to improve this year besides drafting AJ Hawk and keeping Brett Favre?

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
big3 said:
What exactly have the Packers or their coaching staff done to improve this year besides drafting AJ Hawk and keeping Brett Favre?

You can read threads that contain packers information ya know so you dont have to inquire this ;)

Charles Woodson.
Ryan Pickett.
This article.

there is three off the top of my head while I'm at work

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
okay, that's 2 players. I don't think your new coaching staff is any better than the old one. For the most part it seems like you are coming back with the same base of players. Alot of packer fans were even *****ing during free agency that the packers didn't make any moves. This is kind of a pointless argument because you won't listen to logic from a rival team fan (is that an oxymoron?). We'll see who's right once the season starts.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
big3 said:
okay, that's 2 players. I don't think your new coaching staff is any better than the old one. For the most part it seems like you are coming back with the same base of players. Alot of packer fans were even ****** during free agency that the packers didn't make any moves. This is kind of a pointless argument because you won't listen to logic from a rival team fan (is that an oxymoron?). We'll see who's right once the season starts.

Couple corrections. We'll find out at the end of the season. Many teams (Vikings) start out strong, but fizzle at the end of the season. We'll wait to atleast mid-season before we begin to analyze which is better. :)

For the most part the Packers were not a 4-12 team last season. They had many critical injuries to very key positions. Losing their best offensive weapon, Walker hurt, losing Ahman was a loss but he was injured since last season so he wasnt producing much, davenport lost among many others.

Thats not to say other teams didnt endure injuries either, but the Packers had players that were key to victories taken away from them and did not recover.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know, I think Mike Sherman was the casualty of your injury ridden season. I think he was a good coach, and he had some great seasons in Green Bay. I honestly think McCarthy is a step down from Sherman.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
big3 said:
I know, I think Mike Sherman was the casualty of your injury ridden season. I think he was a good coach, and he had some great seasons in Green Bay. I honestly think McCarthy is a step down from Sherman.

I think Sherman was a casualty of lack of depth on the team which he helped build. Granted we had some injuries that completely depleted a position, RB.
Our OL was crap because we didn't do well in drafts and we lost Rivera and Wahle which Ted was unable to sufficently replace. The OL did do better towards the end of the season.

I'm not sure about McCarthy although I like his off field presence far more than Sherman, but as we know that doesnt win games. I also like how he operates his team better than Sherman. His changes make sense and are logical. He also delegates tasks through his staff which Sherman lacked. Sherman even requested Brett to sit down and give his ideas then when game day came Brett's ideas were never considered or used.

Sherman's biggest flaws as a Coach were his need to overthink himself and not trust his staff. McCarthy I feel will do far better in the area.

Hopefully the rest of the team will buy into McCarthy-ism and the Packers will get their fourth ring faster than the Lions can have another losing season :p

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
big3 said:

You know, you might have a little more credibility talking smack if your team had made the playoffs or even had a winning season in the past 5 years. Instead we have:

GB 12 - 4
Det 2 - 14

GB 12 - 4
Det 3 - 13

GB 10 - 6
Det 5 - 11

GB 10 - 6
Det 6 - 10

GB 4 - 12
Det 5 - 11

Winning percentage summary:

Green Bay .600 (GB made the playoff in 4 of those 5 seasons)
Detroit .262 (Detroit has known they were watching the playoffs on TV by the end of October every single year -- 0 playoffs in 5 seasons - which of course matches their number of Super Bowls EVER).

Get back to us when your team gets to .500

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
big3 said:

You know, you might have a little more credibility talking smack if your team had make the playoffs or even had a winning season in the past 5 years. Unstead we have:

GB 12 - 4
Det 2 - 14

GB 12 - 4
Det 3 - 13

GB 10 - 6
Det 5 - 11

GB 10 - 6
Det 6 - 10

GB 4 - 12
Det 5 - 11

Detroit .262 (Detroit has known they were watching the playoffs on TV by the end of October every single year -- 0 playoffs in 5 seasons - which of course matches their number of Super Bowls EVER).

And yet our coach was fired :shock: But I digress.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
big3 said:
I'm sorry, I probably shouldn't have talked smack here in the packerforum but I just couldn't help myself. The lion's have visibly upgraded their coaching staff. Marinelli may be a rookie, but the assistant coaches are a definite upgrade. Mike Martz, Donnie Henderson, Larry Beightol. They also have 100% player participation in the minicamps and OTA's. (anyone who hasn't participated has been traded or cut) Not to mention finally getting a decent qb and adding lots of new options on the offensive line, wide receivers, and linebackers. Those were all problem areas for us last year. What exactly have the Packers or their coaching staff done to improve this year besides drafting AJ Hawk and keeping Brett Favre?

Are you kidding me? You have not upgraded at all. Marinelli is a rookie and Martz outthinks himself. When he was with St. Louis at least he had some talent to work with. You consider a back-up QB an upgrade? or better yet, 2 back-up QB's?

I personally think the Lions are a Mediocre team at best. I don't even know if you have one area of your team that looks like a SOLID unit. Mediocre QB's, a subpar ground game and a bunch of WR's that can't stay healthy. Your O-line is decent at best. Your front 4 won't put fear into anybody soon. You LB core is still weak. Your secondary is ok but not a Woodson/Harris/Collins type.

You took a terrible team and made it mediocre.

Pickett/Woodson/Manual/Boerighter/Hawk
Vs
Kitna/Mccown/Bradford/Verba/Sims

And we had a bad off-season?

Also please explain how holding practices later in the day means we are doomed?

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Is it me or does McCarthy look bigger every time I see him. Is he EATING his new contract?

LMAO... I was thinking the same thing.. Maybe he's been, er... working out more?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Bruce said:
big3 said:

You know, you might have a little more credibility talking smack if your team had make the playoffs or even had a winning season in the past 5 years. Unstead we have:

GB 12 - 4
Det 2 - 14

GB 12 - 4
Det 3 - 13

GB 10 - 6
Det 5 - 11

GB 10 - 6
Det 6 - 10

GB 4 - 12
Det 5 - 11

depack, thats cuz GBs level of expectations are higher than the Lions.

If you are a Lions coach, you better get 6 wins to keep that job.

If you are a Packers coach, you better get postseason wins to keep that job. Sherman just couldn't do it, but he is a fine man with an incredible regular season record.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
DePack said:
Bruce said:
big3 said:

GB 12 - 4
Det 2 - 14

GB 12 - 4
Det 3 - 13

GB 10 - 6
Det 5 - 11

GB 10 - 6
Det 6 - 10

GB 4 - 12
Det 5 - 11

depack, thats cuz GBs level of expectations are higher than the Lions.

If you are a Lions coach, you better get 6 wins to keep that job.

If you are a Packers coach, you better get postseason wins to keep that job. Sherman just couldn't do it, but he is a fine man with an incredible regular season record.

I hear ya!!

PackerSacker54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both the Lions and Packers are in a rebuilding phase it's just that the Lions have been rebuilding for 50 years and the Packers have only been doing it for 1 year in the last 15. Both teams are hurt in several areas though. I'd still rather see the Lions do better than the Packers anyday (gotta keep the Chicago/Green Bay rivalry and hatred the #1 rivalry in the NFL). :D

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
where is GB hurt at in 'several areas'?

QB - set
RBs - set
WRs - Driver,Gardner,Boreigter,Ferguson,Jennings ... call it what you will...
TE- set
Oline - much improved, but could still be a 'hurt' area...ill give it to ya.

Dline - set
LBs - set FOR YEARS NOW
DBs - set...thank god. Woodson\Al + young kids should be great to watch.
safeties - set

If WR and the Oline are all we have to worry about...that sounds good to me. Im not even worried abotu our WRs. WE are in a much better place than we were last year. We have depth, veterans, and size.

our o-line...it all looks good so far, but no games have been played yet. Colledge is doing well and looks to be LG for years. RG is the only hole I see

RG is the only hole in the entire team, as I see it (my opinion), but even that should work out with Spitz\Coston\Whitticker competing hardcore for that job...instead of whitticker just getting the job cuz everyone else sucked(like last year)

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
big3 said:
okay, that's 2 players. I don't think your new coaching staff is any better than the old one. For the most part it seems like you are coming back with the same base of players. Alot of packer fans were even ****** during free agency that the packers didn't make any moves. This is kind of a pointless argument because you won't listen to logic from a rival team fan (is that an oxymoron?). We'll see who's right once the season starts.

What have the Lions done? Added a Offensive lineman who hasn't played in a year and added Bashir who is a decent player. Let's not forget about adding two backup QB's and expect one to start. Both Green Bay and Detriot may be in for a long season but the difference is, Lions fans are used to it.

PackerSacker54

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
where is GB hurt at in 'several areas'?

QB - set
RBs - set
WRs - Driver,Gardner,Boreigter,Ferguson,Jennings ... call it what you will...
TE- set
Oline - much improved, but could still be a 'hurt' area...ill give it to ya.

Dline - set
LBs - set FOR YEARS NOW
DBs - set...thank god. Woodson\Al + young kids should be great to watch.
safeties - set

If WR and the Oline are all we have to worry about...that sounds good to me. Im not even worried abotu our WRs. WE are in a much better place than we were last year. We have depth, veterans, and size.

our o-line...it all looks good so far, but no games have been played yet. Colledge is doing well and looks to be LG for years. RG is the only hole I see

RG is the only hole in the entire team, as I see it (my opinion), but even that should work out with Spitz\Coston\Whitticker competing hardcore for that job...instead of whitticker just getting the job cuz everyone else sucked(like last year)

QB=set, but if Favre goes down then what...Rodgers?
RBs= Nice core but all are coming back from injuries(Gado should start he really impressed me the most last season hopefully he'll be in good shape for your sake)
WR= I'll actually give you that, Driver and Freguson are impressive(not Javon impressive, well maybe Driver is) but who the hell are these other non-factors?
O-line= much improved? are you kidding me?
TE= set, Franks is a beast but Martin outshined him last season.

D-line=set
LB's= set for years now? How do you know? Hawk hasn't even played a down in the NFL yet. That remains to be seen.
DB's Woodson is glass(Rex Grossman of DB's) and will be lucky to make it through a full season and Al Harris is good but he is getting old, young guys will have to step up.
Safeties=set
New coach, new systems to be learned(will take time to develop)

IMO there is plenty of room for improvement.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
every team has room for improvement, that wasnt your argument.

yes, the oline has much improved, are you new? I'm not saying it's great, or even good, but "much improved" is definitely true there.

Its kinda like how Ahmad Carroll improved...from '******' to 'bad' its still an improvement. I dont think the Oline is down to that level though. It should be at least an average offensive line in 2006. But what do I know, I only follow team news every day.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TROM said:"If you are a Lions coach, you better get 6 wins to keep that job."

Yes.........over TWO seasons!!!LOLOLOL!!!

And yes.......MM DOES seem to be getting bigger.......maybe he wants to be like Mike Holmgren........he was thin when he got here, and GREW also.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts