Packer records that could be broken

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As we approach the end of the season, here are some team records to keep your eye on:

Single season passing yardage record:

Lynn ****ey--4,458 in 1983

Brett Favre has 3,905. He needs 553 yards in the last two games. He's about on pace for it, but both remaining games are in cold weather, and that last game against the Lions could be meaningless, which would result in him being pulled early.

Most passes completed:

Brett Favre--372 in 2005

Favre is at 330 right now, which puts him on pace to break the record. It would be nice for him to erase a record that he set during the worst season of his career.

Completion percentage:

Brett Favre--65.39% in 2003

Favre is currently at 67.1%. Again, bad weather is the biggest threat to this one.

Points by a Packer kicker:

Ryan Longwell--131 in 2000

Mason Crosby has 130, so this one is pretty much in the bag. (By the way, we can forget about the team scoring record. Paul Hornung had 176 points in 1960--15 TD, 41 PAT, 15 FG.)

Receptions by a tight end:

Paul Coffman--56 in 1979

Donald Lee has 47. He was on pace to break this record until a couple games ago, but has now fallen off. (By the way, he will not come close to Coffman's yardage record for a TE. Coffman had 814 yards in 1983. Lee currently has 573.)

Another number to keep your eye on: Greg Jennings has 878 receiving yards, which puts him on pace to break 1,000. With one more long bomb he'll be more than halfway there. Driver is already over 1,000. It would be nice to have two in the same year, as that's only happened a few times before.

Any other good stats that I've forgotten to mention?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lynn ****ey is horribly underrated. He was an excellent QB. He played his whole career though with a bad OL, and sometimes the worst OL in the NFL. He suffered a lot of injuries, and missed a lot of time unfortunately. It would be neat for Favre to break that yards record, but keep in mind ****ey did it with a horrible OL and no real RB threat.

Coffman was fun to watch. I have fond memories in the early 80s of Lofton, Jefferson, and Coffman. We were bad, but our O was unstoppable. The problem was our D was pathetic, so we'd score, then the opposing team would score. One INT and the game was lost.

To this day, I don't know why we got rid of Longwell. That guy is good in bad weather. I root for him in MN as long as he's not playing us.

Jennings should pass 1000 yards. I don't remember a year when we had 2 1000 yard WRs in the same year. I think '83 was the best ****ey year. Lofton had 1300 and both Jefferson and Coffman had 800+. Is there a year you had in mind? I could do research if you'd like to see if we'd had 2 1000 yard WRs, but I don't think we ever did.

Scythe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lynn ****ey is horribly underrated. He was an excellent QB. He played his whole career though with a bad OL, and sometimes the worst OL in the NFL. He suffered a lot of injuries, and missed a lot of time unfortunately. It would be neat for Favre to break that yards record, but keep in mind ****ey did it with a horrible OL and no real RB threat.

Coffman was fun to watch. I have fond memories in the early 80s of Lofton, Jefferson, and Coffman. We were bad, but our O was unstoppable. The problem was our D was pathetic, so we'd score, then the opposing team would score. One INT and the game was lost.

To this day, I don't know why we got rid of Longwell. That guy is good in bad weather. I root for him in MN as long as he's not playing us.

Jennings should pass 1000 yards. I don't remember a year when we had 2 1000 yard WRs in the same year. I think '83 was the best ****ey year. Lofton had 1300 and both Jefferson and Coffman had 800+. Is there a year you had in mind? I could do research if you'd like to see if we'd had 2 1000 yard WRs, but I don't think we ever did.

In 2004 we had two receivers to pass 1000 yards.

Donald Driver - 1208 yards
Javon Walker - 1382 yards

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok. I researched and I was wrong.

In '97, Freeman had 1200+ and Brooks had 1000+.
In '99, Freeman and Schroeder had 1000+.
In '04, Walker had 1300+ and Driver had 1200+.

I was surprised we didn't have 2 in the ****ey years.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:

In 2004 we had two receivers to pass 1000 yards.

Donald Driver - 1208 yards
Javon Walker - 1382 yards

Heh. We must have posted at the same time.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, those kind of records...

I thought you meant the records of "Bears Still Suck"... I hope that record never breaks!

Chicago's Favorite cheer: "..GO Bears! Take the Cubs with you..."
Chicago's favorite sign: "Hwy 21, Bears 3"
Chicago's Radio announcer: "...Will the lady that dropped off 11 kids at soldier field PLEASE come and get them... They are beating the Bears 14 to 3..."

I know, I know, they're corny but it's Bears week.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I thought you meant the records of "Bears Still Suck"... I hope that record never breaks!

Chicago's Radio announcer: "...Will the lady that dropped off 11 kids at soldier field PLEASE come and get them... They are beating the Bears 14 to 3..."

cheesey just wrote all of those down.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:

cheesey just wrote all of those down.

Where?

IF he did, he stole them from ME!

packer_backer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
would another record be 457 pts scored. i may be wrong but i think the most pts scored in season by the packers was 456 by the 96 team. they would have to average 32 pts to get though.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packer_backer said:
would another record be 457 pts scored. i may be wrong but i think the most pts scored in season by the packers was 456 by the 96 team. they would have to average 32 pts to get though.

That would be a good one. But looking at the weather forecast for Chicago today (very windy and cold, with some snow possible), I'm afraid some of these offensive records are going to be hard to break.

Zero mentions a good one: wins in the regular season.

Also, I was thinking that TEAM passing yardage per season will probably be broken, even if Favre doesn't reach the individual mark, because Aaron Rodgers has 218 yards of his own.

Getting back to what Zombie said, Lynn ****ey was one of the best pure passers I've ever seen. As a QB overall, I rate him a bit lower, though, because he was so immobile and couldn't stay healthy. Those two problems were related in a big way.

But it was great to have a quality QB after the Hunter/Tagge/Whitehurst years. The Packers were so boring in the 70s, then all of a sudden we had ****ey, Coffman, Lofton, and Jefferson.

I can't root for Longwell. His departure left a bad taste in my mouth. That's what happens when a Packer player goes to Minnesota. It's like a gag reflex I have.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
14 regular season wins in one season.

I was surprised this wasn't the first one mentioned. To me this is the big one and the rest are just gravy. To have this team win more games then all the great teams this franchise has had is a huge statement

mateus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
great time to be a packers fan then!
history in the making. though i gotta ask, even if the weather is a "curse" to the records being broken...dont any of you think it may just make them all the sweeter!
i dont know about football, but i do know that in some other sports the records that stand were marked when "the game was harder to play". allowing favre, for example, to break some of these records in horendous weather could make the bragging rights to it so much better than if it was sunny and game prime weather.
i say bring on the snow and lets see if we cant have a little magic in the air!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Getting back to what Zombie said, Lynn ****ey was one of the best pure passers I've ever seen. As a QB overall, I rate him a bit lower, though, because he was so immobile and couldn't stay healthy. Those two problems were related in a big way.

This I don't hold against him. He was tough, considering how many hits he took. He was immobile because of all the blows to the knees.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts