Packer Pro Bowlers

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel bad for Barnett, but it's tough to make it to the Pro Bowl as an MLB. Those other guys may be more deserving. I've hardly seen them play this year, so I just don't know.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Pro Bowl voting should be done by NFL scouts. These guys are paid to watch every player in the league, and they know what to look for in evaluating players. Fans, coaches, and players only watch a fraction of the games, and don't watch individual players nearly as closely as the scouts do.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harris got in and didn't even deserve it no matter how much he whined. Yet you guys are complaining about Vikings and Cowboys.

Don't like it? Vote more than once. Everybody votes for Favre, but the guy doesn't even play in the game.

But yes, Barnett was screwed.

Of course he deserved it. He's been burned a couple of times, then tried to cover all three Cowboys receivers by himself, and every one says he sucks.

Seeing as Chuckwood was leading the fan voting for weeks, I'd say that Harris got some dap from coaches/players. After hearing them say he's one of the best CBs in the game the last few years, I'm glad that they backed their talk with votes. Good for Al. Much deserved.

ttsather

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always feel that unless a guy has an outstanding year that gets media coverage (Favre), the Pro Bowl is routinely a year behind.

Of the four guys that made it, 3 of the guys are ones that are going based off of merits last season and not completely falling off the face of the earth this season - Kampman, Harris and Driver. Favre, deservedly, is going in part because he's also been in the news so much this season.

Collins could've been an alternate if the voting was done right last year.

Next year, if they don't totally fall out or get injured, I'd look for Barnett, Woodson and Gregorious to get nods.

(Bubba, however, I don't understand at all. It's like they all said "that one Green Bay TE has been great", and couldn't remember his actual name.)

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Harris got in and didn't even deserve it no matter how much he whined. Yet you guys are complaining about Vikings and Cowboys.

Don't like it? Vote more than once. Everybody votes for Favre, but the guy doesn't even play in the game.

But yes, Barnett was screwed.

Of course he deserved it. He's been burned a couple of times, then tried to cover all three Cowboys receivers by himself, and every one says he sucks.

Seeing as Chuckwood was leading the fan voting for weeks, I'd say that Harris got some dap from coaches/players. After hearing them say he's one of the best CBs in the game the last few years, I'm glad that they backed their talk with votes. Good for Al. Much deserved.

I agree, and I'm not saying Dirty 1 is a bad player. He's definitely one of the top corners in the league. But it wasn't until AFTER the Dallas game that he's been playing at a Pro Bowl-caliber level. Granted, he's hurt, but Woodson is hurt too but he's been a fantastic playmaker for us.

Maybe it's a good thing Woodson didn't make it in. There's a clause in his contract that allows him to receive more cash if he makes the Pro Bowl. lol...

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a Packer fan, I'll feel at least partly vindicated for the lack of Pro Bowlers if Mike McCarthy wins Coach of the Year. And there's a good chance that he will.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I feel bad for Barnett, but it's tough to make it to the Pro Bowl as an MLB. Those other guys may be more deserving. I've hardly seen them play this year, so I just don't know.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Pro Bowl voting should be done by NFL scouts. These guys are paid to watch every player in the league, and they know what to look for in evaluating players. Fans, coaches, and players only watch a fraction of the games, and don't watch individual players nearly as closely as the scouts do.

I admit to not watching all of the MLB's in the league, but I cannot believe that there are many more deserving than Barnett this season. He's been an absolute monster for our defense...definite Pro Bowl-caliber player that got snubbed.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

I admit to not watching all of the MLB's in the league, but I cannot believe that there are many more deserving than Barnett this season. He's been an absolute monster for our defense...definite Pro Bowl-caliber player that got snubbed.

I hear you, but that guy in San Francisco is leading the league in tackles (which may or may not mean anything, but a stat like that helps a player's cause when the voters haven't watched many games), and I remember Tatupu being a great MLB as a rookie two years ago. He could be even better now, for all I know. MLB is a playmaking position, so a lot of teams are bound to have very, very good players there. That Witherspoon for the Rams was very impressive on Sunday.

Looking on the bright side, at least it wasn't Urlacher who beat out Barnett.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Yup.

And to the poster who mentioned MM for COY, I would agree, but have to hate to say that Belichick is gonna get it if his team goes 16-0. You just have to almost.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is one more GB player that got shafted. Crosby. Granted he is a rookie but Folk is a rookie too.

Here are their stats from NFL.com.
Kickoffs- yards - Average - TB- out bounds- returns- TD
Crosby (84)-5358-(63.8)- (13)- 0- (21.1)- 0
Folk (86)-5415-(63.0)- (4)- 1- (23.1)- 1

Scoring totals-pts-FG-XPts- <30/30-39/40-49/50+
Crosby 130-29-43- 9-9/8-9/9-14/3-5
Folk 117-22-51- 9-10/5-5/6-6/2-5

Sure looks as if Crosby has out performed Folk in nearly every category.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Barnett
119 Tackles, 90 solo, 3.5 sack, 2 Int, 0 FF

The 2 who made the Probowl

Lofa Tatupu
101 Tackles, 78 solo, 1 sack, 4 Int, 3 FF

Patrick Willis
142 Tackles, 111 solo, 1 sack, 0 Int, 1 FF

Willis is a rookie and his stats are skewed because the 49ers dont have an offense so there D is on the field longer and the other team always gets far enough ahead they run the ball more therefore Willis gets more tackles. Tatupu well he would have only 1 Int if it wasnt for that game againist the Eagles were AJ Feely threw 3 right into his arms. Looking at the 2 who made it over Barnett I would say he got screwed.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets face it.............GB is a small market team. We get passed over because we arn't in the "limelight".
The big market teams always seem to get more guys, no matter HOW well our guys play.
Barnett should be a starter.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is one more GB player that got shafted. Crosby. Granted he is a rookie but Folk is a rookie too.

Here are their stats from NFL.com.
Kickoffs- yards - Average - TB- out bounds- returns- TD
Crosby (84)-5358-(63.8)- (13)- 0- (21.1)- 0
Folk (86)-5415-(63.0)- (4)- 1- (23.1)- 1

Scoring totals-pts-FG-XPts- <30/30-39/40-49/50+
Crosby 130-29-43- 9-9/8-9/9-14/3-5
Folk 117-22-51- 9-10/5-5/6-6/2-5

Sure looks as if Crosby has out performed Folk in nearly every category.

The most important stat is field goal percentage, and Folk has the clear advantage there. Crosby's 78.4 % is below the league average, while Folk is at a very solid 84.6%.

Crosby has been asked to kick more long field goals and has had to play in tougher conditions than Folk, but it's still pretty hard to ignore Folk's statistical advantage.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Barnett
119 Tackles, 90 solo, 3.5 sack, 2 Int, 0 FF

The 2 who made the Probowl

Lofa Tatupu
101 Tackles, 78 solo, 1 sack, 4 Int, 3 FF

Patrick Willis
142 Tackles, 111 solo, 1 sack, 0 Int, 1 FF

Willis is a rookie and his stats are skewed because the 49ers dont have an offense so there D is on the field longer and the other team always gets far enough ahead they run the ball more therefore Willis gets more tackles. Tatupu well he would have only 1 Int if it wasnt for that game againist the Eagles were AJ Feely threw 3 right into his arms. Looking at the 2 who made it over Barnett I would say he got screwed.

Good points. With the stats being basically similar, the player on the best team--Barnett--should've gotten the benefit of the doubt. I wonder if Barnett is disliked by other coaches and players. I do see him jawing at some people quite often out there.

brnt247

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harris is the best corner in the game. He played like it all season, and in the Dallas game. The reason TO did so well was because they continually put him in motion to put TO on other players or not let Harris get his jam on him. Matchup any reciever 1on1 with any corner and Harris does the best job.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well boys, if Darlene Sharpier can make the Pro Bowl at the FS position from 31st pass ranked defense in the league, then you know the whole game is crap. We know what we have in our players, and the ones that got shafted may have a little chip on their shoulder come playoff time.

brnt247

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets face it.............GB is a small market team. We get passed over because we arn't in the "limelight".
The big market teams always seem to get more guys, no matter HOW well our guys play.
Barnett should be a starter.

This doesn't really have much to do with how the NFC probowl teams roster ended up. The Vikings are a small market team too, and aren't a national team like the Packers are but they still have 7 players. The fact of the matter is, the Packers who made it should have made it aside from Barnett.

At every position we made it at, our 2nd player at that position is arguably a pro bowl level player.

WR- Jennings is just as good, they took the more experienced Driver

DE- KGB everyone knows the story, he's a great player and can rush the passer as well as anyone, and he faces the better OT pretty much every week.

CB- Woodson is very good, but he faces the #2 recievers week in and week out, Harris does the dirty work against the leagues best, and he doesn't miss games for anything.

So although these players may have gotten snubbed, it just shows how they push eachother and how much depth we have. The Boys don't quite have the depth at the positions they made it at aside from maybe corner.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
As a Packer fan, I'll feel at least partly vindicated for the lack of Pro Bowlers if Mike McCarthy wins Coach of the Year. And there's a good chance that he will.

I have a very good feeling MM will get Coach of the Year. It's been said by numerous "experts" he deserves it, and even a lot of non-Packer fans I talk to say he deserves it.

isocleas2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harris over Woodson? Driver over Jennings? I can agree with the Driver selection to some extent, but 12 TDs in 12 games is pretty damn good.

In order of most screwed over:
1.) Woodson (should be starting)
2.) Barnett (should be starting)
3.) Jennings
4.) Clifton
5.) Lee (should have been the reserve)

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a few points from my view
1)i thought hawk was one of the top Votes at outside LB what happened there
2) i think barnet has played better then Tatupu but Not Willis Willis for beening in is rookie season has played REALLY well And when the 49ers played the vikes he Very easyery Kept peterson in control
3)Woodson was screwed big time nothing more to say on that
4) Jennings should have easy been a reserve at least

But as usuall its the SAME PLAYERS YEAR IN YEAR OUT THATS HOW VICK DID NOTHING ALL YEAR BUT MADE IT EVERY TIME

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In Barnett's case the selection committee didn't even have the common courtesy of spitting on it first.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I Like Barnett but Willis is absolutely amazing. Honestly he is probably everything Barnett has the potential to be if he played with his head a little more. The amazing part he is rookie.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Greg could of gone but I see it being the same as the Johnson TJ situation for the Bengals. It's very tough for a WR whose known as a No 2 to beat out a No 1. Gregs #'s may look better then DD's but I think a lot of them come from drawing single coverage cause DD takes the double and the voters figure this in. There also seems to be a reluctance to vote a guy in who had his first big year so Greg can just look at TJ Whosyourmamma (lol) and take courage he'll see many pro bowls in the future.
As for Barnett if I look at it from a total outsider I can see Lofa starting and if it was the other way around I wouldn't think anything either. I think that 3 pick game he had a few weeks ago will of brought him a lot of spotlight. For as good as Barnett's been this year I get the feeling we're the only ones who know about it. I was even happy to see everyone's love for him on this thread cause even we havn't talked to much about him and I was wondering if I was the only one thinking this guys become a superstar

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. I like your idea about the scouts doing the voting!

I think the Pack got the right number into Hawaii. I had figured Favre, Kampman, Woodson, and Barnett would go.

I personally thought Harris and Driver were a bit of a stretch (although in the sense of a ron dayne-like heisman career award, I think it's very deserved for both!), so in a way it counters the screwjob that was Woody and Nick at least as you look at it from a packer perspective.

Latest posts