Packer Potential Draftee Visits

H

HardRightEdge

The Captain and I started a discussion in the Austin Johnson thread regarding how the allowable 30 potential draftee visits to Green Bay were actually converted to picks. The Captain identified several mid round-to-UDFA prospects visiting Green Bay last year who ended up with the team. Neither of us could recall possible day 1 draftees who ended up being picks.

In any case, it's probably worth some effort to try to track this stuff at least for mid-round to UDFA possibilities.

I'll kick it off with a link from Walters, where they track visits starting with the All-Star games:

http://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/byteam

Packers:

• Willie Beavers, OT, Western Michigan (COM)
  • James Bradberry, CB, Samford (SR)
  • Chris Jones, DT/3-4DE, Mississippi State (COM)
  • Jay Lee, WR, Baylor (PRO)
  • Kolby Listenbee, WR, TCU (COM)
  • Dadi Lhomme Nicolas, OLB, Virginia Tech (PRO)
  • Reggie Ragland^, ILB, Alabama (SR, COM)
  • Luke Rhodes, ILB, William & Mary (PRO)
  • Alonzo Russell, WR, Toledo (PRO)
  • Jaylon Smith, OLB/ILB, Notre Dame (COM)
  • Noah Spence, OLB/DE/3-4OLB, Eastern Kentucky (PRI)
The list is not complete; Austin Johnson was quoted by nfl.com saying he did in fact visit with the Packers at the Combine. There may be others. But it's a start.

The one thing you'll notice is that list includes 3 LBs projected as possible day 1 picks: Ragland, Smith and Spence. Nobody at other positions are projected that high. So it indicates a particular focus, one we'd expect.

Ragland has already been hashed over quite a bit.

Just looking at Combine numbers, Spence looks like he'd be targeted as an ILB in a 3-4. I've not looked at any of his tape, so if he has edge rush projection for OLB that would be interesting to know. That's possible since some (most?) project him as a 4-3 DE, as was the case with Perry.

Smith is interesting in that he's only 223 lbs. Thomson may be viewing him as that SS/ILB tweener for coverage/and or box SS hybrid work; I don't see where he ran the 40 at the Combine or Pro Day; looks like he was coming off a knee injury. nfldraftscout pegs him in the 4.56 - 4.78 range.

This at least tells us the kind of players the Packers are interested in for roster and scheme fit.

The on-site visits will be heating up soon, so there should be more names to come.

One thing to note when looking at lists of visits past and present, the Packers always seem to be among the shortest.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Just looking at Combine numbers, Spence looks like he'd be targeted as an ILB in a 3-4. I've not looked at any of his tape, so if he has edge rush projection for OLB that would be interesting to know. That's possible since some (most?) project him as a 4-3 DE, as was the case with Perry.

Smith is interesting in that he's only 223 lbs. Thomson may be viewing him as that SS/ILB tweener for coverage/and or box SS hybrid work; I don't see where he ran the 40 at the Combine or Pro Day; looks like he was coming off a knee injury. nfldraftscout pegs him in the 4.56 - 4.78 range.

I would expect Spence to play as an outside linebacker in a 3-4. He seems to be a giftes pass rusher but has had his share of troubles off the field resulting in being banned from the Big Ten.

Smith suffered a terrible knee injury in the Fiesta Bowl and according to rumors teams are convinced he will miss the entire 2016 season with some of them even questioning him ever getting healthy enough to play in the NFL. It will be interesting to see which round he will get drafted.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I would expect Spence to play as an outside linebacker in a 3-4. He seems to be a giftes pass rusher but has had his share of troubles off the field resulting in being banned from the Big Ten.

Smith suffered a terrible knee injury in the Fiesta Bowl and according to rumors teams are convinced he will miss the entire 2016 season with some of them even questioning him ever getting healthy enough to play in the NFL. It will be interesting to see which round he will get drafted.
In these kinds of situations, it stands to reason the rationale behind a visit is to aid in a risk/reward assessment. Maybe the player gets ruled out; maybe a favorable value point is determined in a scenario where the player drops to where the risk is worth taking.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, Jay Lee looks a lot like Davante Adams. Same size, long arms. Even looks similar when he catches the ball. Not as twitchy, but looks faster on tape.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

Wow, Jay Lee looks a lot like Davante Adams. Same size, long arms. Even looks similar when he catches the ball. Not as twitchy, but looks faster on tape.

Lee isn´t anywhere near ready for the pro level though as his route tree is extremely limited after playing in Baylor´s system.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still love the idea of taking Smith as a draft and stash. TT has so many picks and only so many roster spots. Huge lottery ticket pick if he lasts until the 4th round or so.

D

Deleted member 6794

I still love the idea of taking Smith as a draft and stash. TT has so many picks and only so many roster spots. Huge lottery ticket pick if he lasts until the 4th round or so.

I would for sure not be opposed to selecting Jaylon Smith in this year´s draft. The question is in which round it would make sense to pick him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Another prospect that has been linked to the Packers is Cumberland (NAIA) WR Wendall Williams. The receiver had a laser-timed 4.32 40 and a 45-inch vertical at the NFL regional combine in Minneapolis.

He´s for sure an explosive athlete as illustrated by his averages but is mostly likely even way rawer than Jeff Janis coming out of college. Here are his numbers:

30.5 yards per catch (15 for 457), 29.1 yards per rush (7 for 204), 23.5 yards per punt return (6 for 141) and 32.4 per kickoff return (24 for 777)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...jets-others-show-interest-in-wendall-williams

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just can't see him lasting till the 4th. I'd be surprised to see him last thru 2 rounds actually.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lee isn´t anywhere near ready for the pro level though as his route tree is extremely limited after playing in Baylor´s system.
Lee would be a nice pick in the middle rounds somewhere. Baylor's other WR Coleman's stock seems to be rising within the pundit circles. I've seen him mocked in the top 15 (first WR selected)

D

Deleted member 6794

Lee would be a nice pick in the middle rounds somewhere. Baylor's other WR Coleman's stock seems to be rising within the pundit circles. I've seen him mocked in the top 15 (first WR selected)

Coleman is most likely the best receiver in this year´s draft. On the other hand Lee will probably go undrafted so using a mid-round pick would be a huge reach.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another prospect that has been linked to the Packers is Cumberland (NAIA) WR Wendall Williams. The receiver had a laser-timed 4.32 40 and a 45-inch vertical at the NFL regional combine in Minneapolis.

He´s for sure an explosive athlete as illustrated by his averages but is mostly likely even way rawer than Jeff Janis coming out of college. Here are his numbers:

30.5 yards per catch (15 for 457), 29.1 yards per rush (7 for 204), 23.5 yards per punt return (6 for 141) and 32.4 per kickoff return (24 for 777)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...jets-others-show-interest-in-wendall-williams
What's his size?

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Ian Rapoport Noah Spence, who would play outside linebacker in a 3-4, will visit the Packers on Friday.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

According to Ian Rapoport Noah Spence, who would play outside linebacker in a 3-4, will visit the Packers on Friday.
That's 2 visits now, if Walter is to be believed. Note in the OP that Walter had him down for a private interview already.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

The question I would have is, "why did he catch only 15 balls in NAIA?" It's not like he was stuck behind top drawer players. Maybe all he knows is playground...run the fly. As for the kick returns, it seems like every year there's some burner from a small college who shows up with big averages, never to be heard from again.

Here's some tape. Not sure if this is Cumberland or high school:

D

Deleted member 6794

That's 2 visits now, if Walter is to be believed. Note in the OP that Walter had him down for a private interview already.

Aside of Noah Spence I don´t see Walter listing any other prospect who has had a visit, counting against the total of 30 allowed, with the Packers.

The question I would have is, "why did he catch only 15 balls in NAIA?" It's not like he stuck behind top drawer players. Maybe all he knows is playground...run the fly. As for the kick returns, it seems like every year there's some burner from a small college who shows up with big averages, never to be heard from again.

I really have no idea why Williams only caught 15 balls. Scoring eight touchdowns on those receptions is impressive though.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers are bringing in BYU WR Mitch Mathews in for an official pre-draft visit. Last season he caught 54 passes for 737 yards and 11 TDs. Mathews will most likely go undrafted.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

The Packers are bringing in BYU WR Mitch Mathews in for an official pre-draft visit. Last season he caught 54 passes for 737 yards and 11 TDs. Mathews will most likely go undrafted.
His pro day was impressive:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=90139&draftyear=2016&genpos=WR

Tall, fast, athletic.

At 6'6", 222 lbs., and only 12 lifts, he's not a WR/TE tweener. He's a slot/perimeter receiver, not somebody you want in-line blocking.

Check out the back-shoulder at 2:42 and again at 3:23 in this tape:

There are even more examples in this tape, particularly the first play:

The positives that jump out in these tapes is the ability to adjust to the ball and what looks like pretty decent hands. These are not characteristics you would have seen in Janis' college tape and areas where it's taken Janis nearly 2 years to show improvement.

Negatives:

He chops steps coming off the line and looks a bit slow out of his breaks on short routes, better on longer routes. He's a long strider with long speed without quick twitch into the short routes...then again he is 6'6" so that's not so surprising. He's not ideal for attacking the short middle of the field; he looks better accelerating into the intermediate and seam routes. That's not quite an ideal fit in McCarthy's recently avowed necessity to attack the middle of the field with the accumulated rule changes if he's going to be running out of the slot. His route running is not what you'd call precise. The light lifts and step chopping suggest he'd be susceptible to press coverage.

This guy looks to be rising some after his Pro Day.

I think there's enough to work with here to put him down tentatively for the 7th. round, but don't expect him to be a TE. Evaluate him as a WR only.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

It just occurred to me that Mitch Mathews, at 6'6" and 222 lbs., kinda looks like a small forward, and we know Thompson's recent interest in basketball players. So there's this:

He was also an all-state first baseman.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Walter has added some names since the OP was posted:

http://walterfootball.com/prospectMeetings/byteam

New names are in bold:

• Willie Beavers, OT, Western Michigan (COM)
  • James Bradberry, CB, Samford (SR)
  • Kevin Byard^, S, Middle Tennessee (WOR, PRI)
  • Darion Griswold, TE, Arkansas State (PRO)
  • Chris Jones, DT/3-4DE, Mississippi State (COM)
  • Bronson Kaufusi, DE/3-4DE, Brigham Young (STM)
  • Jay Lee, WR, Baylor (PRO)
  • Kolby Listenbee, WR, TCU (COM)
  • Mitch Mathews, WR, Brigham Young (PRI)
  • Dadi Lhomme Nicolas, OLB, Virginia Tech (PRO)
  • Reggie Ragland^, ILB, Alabama (SR, COM)
  • Eric Rawls, CB, Kentucky State (PRO)
  • Luke Rhodes, ILB, William & Mary (PRO)
  • Alonzo Russell, WR, Toledo (PRO)
  • Jaylon Smith, OLB/ILB, Notre Dame (COM)
  • Noah Spence, OLB/DE/3-4OLB, Eastern Kentucky (PRI)
Though not listed here, Austin Johnson said he met with the Packers at the Combine.

Walters previously had Noah Spence down for a private meeting before the visit to Green Bay, so that would indicate 2 private visits.

It looks like Byard had an on-site workout and visit that may have slipped under the radar. A safety had to show up sooner or later. ;)