Packer News And Notes

Travis Duncan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Throwback Sunday

The Packers will be donning their 1929 throwback uniforms on Sunday against the Rams. Below is a look from last year's game against the 49ers in Week 13.

The actual circle with the number is enlarged from what was actually worn in '29 because the NFL mandates a certain size for jersey numbers. The brown helmet is meant to simulate the leather helmets which were worn in that era.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Selling the Action

The Packers sold play-action so well on Sunday night, people are still talking about it, writers are writing about it.

It was mentioned on the NBC broadcast that Aaron Rodgers has made play-action a particular point of improvement for himself in recent years.

Chris Brown of the ESPN website "Grantland" points out that the Packer offensive line also should be given credit for selling play-action so well.

Brown writes "More often, they are reading the offensive linemen to the running backs, and those are the players that all too often give away that the play is not a true run but is instead a pass play. But the Packers' do an excellent job: instead of immediately popping their heads up and sinking back on their hips as they would in pass protection, Green Bay's linemen fire out low and flat, making it impossible to detect the play's true intent."

You can watch the video here, as the Packers go playaction as Rodgers hits James Jones on the post-dig play

TV Ratings

-NBC says 22 million people watch the Packers-Falcons on Sunday Night Football. Milwaukee was the highest rated market, with a 51.2 rating and a 66 share.

Public Stock Sale

-Speaking of shares, The Packers will hold their first public stock sale since 1997 in the coming weeks, the Associated Press reports. Shares are expected to cost $200 each, are non-transferable and do not provide dividends. The sale of the shares will be used to fund $130 in renovations to Lambeau Field-to be completed before the 2013 season. The 112,205 shareholders currently own 4.75 million shares of the team.

The teams says the renovations to Lambeau will include a new entrance tower and viewing platform in the north end zone as well as about 6,600 new seats in the south end zone.

Power Rankings

-The Packers didn't blow the Falcons out of the Georgia Dome on Sunday by an stretch of the imagination, but there is no waivering among the National Media as to there right full position atop power rankings for the fifth straight week.

Fox Sports, by Brian Billick: No.1 followed by the Saints, Ravens, Lions and Patriots.
Sporting News, No.1 followed by the Saints, Patriots, Ravens and Chargers.
Washington Post No.1 followed by the Saints, Ravens, Lions and Patriots.
Pro Football Weekly No.1 followed by the Patriots, Saints, Lions and Ravens.
Real Clear Sports (aggregated) No.1 followed by the Saints, Lions, Patriots and Ravens.
NFL.com No.1 followed by the Saints, Ravens, Lions and Patriots.

Security Measures

-The Packers will add additional officers and security personal for Sunday's home game to help speed up the full-body sweep process as fans enter into the game.

Crosby Player of the Week

Mason Crosby was named this week's NFL Special Teams Player of the Week. Crosby was 4-for-4 on field goals, including a franchise record tying 56-yarder in the third quarter.

Clifton out

Left tackle Chad Clifton will miss significant time-at least several weeks if not longer-because of a hamstring injury Mike McCarthy said this week.

As was the case when Clifton went down, Marshall Newhouse will move from right tackle to left tackle and rookie Derek Sherrod will play right tackle.

The team Wednesday announced that it had officially placed Nick Collins on injured reserved ending his season and has signed Ray Dominguez off the practice squad to give more depth on the offensive line. Dominguez, a 6-foot-4, 334-pound rookie out of Arkansas, signed with the Packers as a non-drafted free agent on July 28

Stats Miscellany
(courtesy of Packers PR)

-The Packers and Detroit are the only teams in the NFL who remain undefeated. The last time both the Packers and Lions each got off to 5-0 starts was in 1931.

-The Packers lead the NFL in scoring offense through Week 5 with an average of 34.6 points per game.

-The Packers have scored at least 25 points in each game this season, the first time in franchise history (since entering the NFL in 1921) that Green Bay has accomplished that feat. The last time that the Packers scored 25-plus points in five straight games in a single season came in 2007 (seven straight, Weeks 9-15).

-Through Week 5, all five of Green Bay’s wide receivers (Jennings, 29; Jordy Nelson, 18; Jones, 14; Driver, 9; Randall Cobb, 9) have at least nine catches. The Packers are the only team in the league this season to have that many wide receivers catch nine or more passes.

-The Packers have scored 49 third-quarter points, good for No. 2 in the NFL. The Lions lead the league with 52 third-quarter points.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
read those two points you made and tell me they make sense.. you contradict yourself alot
-The Packers have scored at least 25 points in each game this season, the first time in franchise history (since entering the NFL in 1921) that Green Bay has accomplished that feat. The last time that the Packers scored 25-plus points in five straight games in a single season came in 2007 (seven straight, Weeks 9-15).

-Th Packers have scored 49 third-quarter points, good for No. 2 in the NFL. The Packers lead the league with 52 third-quarter points.

OP
OP
Travis Duncan

Travis Duncan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
read those two points you made and tell me they make sense.. you contradict yourself alot

-Th Packers have scored 49 third-quarter points, good for No. 2 in the NFL. The Packers lead the league with 52 third-quarter points.
That's a typo on the second paragraph, should be the Lions, thanks for the catch. On the 25-points in 5 games, I got that from the game release, I see your point, I believe they mean the first time in franchise history they have scored 25 points in the first five games.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe the 25+ points was for 1st 5 games...That has never been done before?

They do have 49 3rd quarter points...

Detroit is leading the league in 3rd quarter points with 52..

So i think that 52 was a typo for the team

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a typo on the second paragraph, should be the Lions, thanks for the catch. On the 25-points in 5 games, I got that from the game release, I see your point, I believe they mean the first time in franchise history they have scored 25 points in the first five games.
no problem! sorry if i sounded like a **** lol i just wanted to clear that up.. nobodys perfect and as i always say, **** happens lol

OP
OP
Travis Duncan

Travis Duncan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no problem! sorry if i sounded like a **** lol i just wanted to clear that up.. nobodys perfect and as i always say, **** happens lol
no need for apology, comments and feedback are always preferred... I added those stats at the last minute and forgot to proofread it..thanks for reading and be on the look out for more Packers news and info in this space

Members online

Latest posts