Packer HOF is WRONG !!!

Badjer83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just visited the packer HOF on Friday and the employee's are wrong about a piece of SBowl trivia...

Background Info:
about 15 years ago I visited the old Packer HOF and saw that the SBI trophy had a dent in the back of the ball. I also recall hearing that the trophy was dropped during the celebration and became dented. Furthermore I also seem to remember Lee Remmel once said he knew who dropped it but wasn't telling.

Friday... 2/12/10
I visit the new HOF and see that the trophy now has no dent in it. When did they fix this? I suspect when they brought it over to the new HOF home under the atrium? Also does anyone know who dented it and can provide a link or background to the story?

When I asked the two young female employees about what happened to the dent, they said it was still there and ignorantly pointed to the "points" of the football itself" where the 4 seams come together on each end. I laughed and told them no, that is not the dent, but how a real football is made. They have no idea of the real dent but knew enough that it had been dented.

So then... anyone out there with a reference and the real scoop?

Thanks
badjer

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
No idea. Sure you were looking at the right trophy? Last time I was there...last year....it was still dented. Don't know how you could repair it without cutting the trophy apart either. Seems unlikely.

OP
OP
Badjer83

Badjer83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm dead positive there was a dent in it. I asked a guy at work and he said he saw it too and agreed to the location. It was on the back and underside of the ball on a side panel between the seems. I recall it being elliptical and about 2" x 1".

It could easily have been repaired. Dents as shallow as it was can be removed by rubbing dry ice on it and the extreme contraction pulls the dent taught. I also saw a special on how the trophy is made. Go bing how the trophy is made... and read that the ball is detachable... ( I can't post a link yet)

"The base is formed from sheet stock, which is hand hammered and soldered. The football is attached by a silver rod that comes up through the base and is secured by silver nuts and bolts. "It has to be sturdy enough to hold up under handling by those 'little' football players," Wawrynek says."

That said, they could pull the ball off and chase the dent out from the inside.

Bottom line is - I want to find a link or the story how & who dented it.
Badjer

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they should redesign the trophy.
Sure it could still be called the Lombardi Trophy.
But I always thought the football is just too obvious and lame.
I like what they have for hockey. The Stanley Cup looks nothing at all like a hockey puck.
Don't get too excited.
It's JMO about a trophy that could be changed.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The trophies in the Hall of Fame are facsimiles. The real Super Bowl Trophies are located at the entrance inside the Packers locker room.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love seeing everyone getting all excited to take pictures in front of a bunch of replicas.

Members online

Latest posts