Packer Forum Midseason Awards

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which Packers would earn the following awards at the halfway point of this season, if it was up to you:

MVP
Best offensive player
Best defensive player
Best rookie
Most improved player

And a couple extras:
Unsung hero
Biggest disappointment

To make it more interesting, try not to give two awards to any one player. Explanations for your awards are very much welcome.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Which Packers would earn the following awards at the halfway point of this season, if it was up to you:

MVP
Best offensive player
Best defensive player
Best rookie
Most improved player

And a couple extras:
Unsung hero
Biggest disappointment

To make it more interesting, try not to give two awards to any one player. Explanations for your awards are very much welcome.

O - Brett Favre
D - Kampman or Barnett. Can't decide
R - Jones
I - Jennings. Sure, he started fast last year, but he tapered off. Now, he's a real playmaker. OR D Lee. I didn't expect Lee to be this solid.

U - Driver. He has to do the up the middle crap that gets lots of pain and little glory
BD - Jenkins. I was screaming he'd be a Pro Bowler before the season started.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

MVP
Best offensive player
Best defensive player
Best rookie
Most improved player

And a couple extras:
Unsung hero
Biggest disappointment

Or, biggest disappointment - can I give it to our entire OL? I was thinking the ZBS in its 2nd year will be opening holes all day long, and it hasn't happened at all.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVP - Has to be Aaron Kampman. After coming off his best season, he is on pace to have one just as big. He is clutch, Kampman is a big reason why we have held on to those fourth quarter comebacks.

Best offensive player - I think this has to be Favre. Sure he has five solid options now to throw to (excluding halfbacks) but he is getting them the ball. Defenses know they are going to pass the ball, yet he is torching them for massive yards behind only Brady. Sure he has made some stupid boneheaded plays, but he has more than made up for it with great ones.

Best defensive player - Since I can't give Kampman this award, I'll give it to Barnett. He has made some great plays, including a tremendous solo tackle on fourth down a while back. Woodson is a close second, the penalties and inconsistances cost him this one.

Best rookie - I don't want to give a tie (this obviously comes down to Crosby and Jones). So who comes out ahead? Jones is statistically the second best rookie WR, and had tied for 2nd most receptions on the team including two scores. Crosby has kicked a game winning field goal and is kicking 80%. You know what, I can't pick a winner.

Most improved player - Donald Lee. This guy is getting mentioned as a potential Pro Bowl TE. He has nicely stepped the play at a position that was horrible last year.

And a couple extras:
Unsung hero - Aaron Rodgers. Way to let McCarthy know to challenge the play last week man. :D . In all seriousness KGB. The Packers all-time sack leader has stepped back and is thriving in his new role.

Biggest disappointment - Vernand Morency? I don't know. I do know I'm not picking a rookie, and some of the older players are expected to lose a step (The Big Lamborghini) but still have played well enough to go 7-1. I don't want to say Morency, because I didn't expect much from him, but he's the only choice I got.

Great topic by the way.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

MVP - Brett
Best offensive player - In single - Brett as a group the 3 amigo's. (Driver, Jennings, Jones)
Best defensive player Tie..Pickett.. plugging up the middle.. shutting down the run and keeping the opposition in lots of 3rd and longs.. So Kampman can do his thing on the pass rush.
Best rookie - James Jones.. hands down.. Crosby close second.
Most improved player - From last year.. Donald Lee.

And a couple extras:
Unsung hero - Jon Ryan - His kicks for the most part have kept the field position in our favor.
Biggest disappointment - Interior of the offensive line.. moreso the guards.. haven't rose play from last year as of yet..

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My own picks would be as follows:

MVP: Brett Favre. One of the best NFL players of all time, and he's playing near his highest level. The only reason Brady has more passing yards, by the way, is that he's played an extra game. Favre has also been a great leader this year, helping to keep these young players on an even keel. McCarthy's style of allowing Favre more freedom to change plays at the line has been a key, and a refreshing throwback to more of an old time style of football.

Best offensive player: Donald Driver. It's close between him and TD machine Greg Jennings, but I have to give it to Driver for sucking up all those double coverages and STILL leading the team in receiving yards. I love Zombie's choice of Driver as unsung hero, however.

Best defensive player: Al Harris. He is the most indispensable player on our defense. I would really be sweating if he had to miss a game. He continues to neutralize the opposing team's best receiver, for the most part. It's hard to deny Aaron Kampman, who is fantastic, but I will point out that Kampman has feasted on some pretty bad right tackles this season. I hate to deny Nick Barnett as well. It's hard to decide on one guy when we have dynamic players at each level of the defense.

Best rookie: James Jones. To step in at #3 like he has is very unusual for a rookie, especially in this kind of offense. He's very mature and has great hands. Think of how much better he is than first round pick Javon Walker was as a rookie.

Most improved player: Donald Lee. He came out of nowhere to become a very reliable TE this year with big play ability. Up until a couple games ago, I would've given the award to Atari Bigby, but he's been exposed in coverage often in the past few games.

Unsung hero: Ryan Pickett. He does most of the dirty work inside. He doesn't get the sacks or the glory, but teams are not running the ball up the middle on us as much as they used to. He's also allowed Barnett the freedom to make big plays.

Biggest disappointment: Darryn Colledge. He's struggled with run blocking and has also had a couple bad days in pass protection, especially against KC last Sunday. He's a second round pick, but is not performing as well as the O-linemen who were picked lower. And they're not playing all that well, either.

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
My own picks would be as follows:

MVP: Brett Favre. One of the best NFL players of all time, and he's playing near his highest level. The only reason Brady has more passing yards, by the way, is that he's played an extra game. Favre has also been a great leader this year, helping to keep these young players on an even keel. McCarthy's style of allowing Favre more freedom to change plays at the line has been a key, and a refreshing throwback to more of an old time style of football.

Best offensive player: Donald Driver. It's close between him and TD machine Greg Jennings, but I have to give it to Driver for sucking up all those double coverages and STILL leading the team in receiving yards. I love Zombie's choice of Driver as unsung hero, however.

Best defensive player: Al Harris. He is the most indispensable player on our defense. I would really be sweating if he had to miss a game. He continues to neutralize the opposing team's best receiver, for the most part. It's hard to deny Aaron Kampman, who is fantastic, but I will point out that Kampman has feasted on some pretty bad right tackles this season. I hate to deny Nick Barnett as well. It's hard to decide on one guy when we have dynamic players at each level of the defense.

Best rookie: James Jones. To step in at #3 like he has is very unusual for a rookie, especially in this kind of offense. He's very mature and has great hands. Think of how much better he is than first round pick Javon Walker was as a rookie.

Most improved player: Donald Lee. He came out of nowhere to become a very reliable TE this year with big play ability. Up until a couple games ago, I would've given the award to Atari Bigby, but he's been exposed in coverage often in the past few games.

Unsung hero: Ryan Pickett. He does most of the dirty work inside. He doesn't get the sacks or the glory, but teams are not running the ball up the middle on us as much as they used to. He's also allowed Barnett the freedom to make big plays.

Biggest disappointment: Darryn Colledge. He's struggled with run blocking and has also had a couple bad days in pass protection, especially against KC last Sunday. He's a second round pick, but is not performing as well as the O-linemen who were picked lower. And they're not playing all that well, either.

im with you on all but al harris......id say charles woodson..... hes made 2 defensive touchdowns that iced 2 games that were seper close in the final seconds

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, you guys bring up some good points.
That's why I hate doing this stuff sometimes because you feel bad about leaving out some real contributors.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVP - Brett Favre

This was an easy one. Favre is clearly the MVP of this team. I think you can make an argument for Harris, Woodson, and Kampman but the QB position is just so important and Favre is as steady as he's ever been.

Best offensive player - Donald Driver

Thought about Greg Jennings but went with Driver. He goes across the middle and fights for 1st downs. The guy is rock solid for the Packers. Hopefully he continues this production for many more years.

Best defensive player - Aaron Kampman

This was tough because I think 5 players on the Packers defense are playing up to Pro Bowl caliber. Ryan Pickett, Al Harris, Charles Woodson, Nick Barnett, and Aaron Kampman. I went with Kampman because a consistent pass rush helps everything. It helps the linebackers and defensive backs. Kampman seems unblockable at times when I watch him.

Best rookie - James Jones

Mason Crosby has made some big kicks but Jones has been rock solid this year outside of one game. Best hands I've seen from a rookie receiver maybe ever.

Most improved player - Johnny Jolley

For me it's Jolley. He was inactive a lot last year. Battled through injuries and some people weren't that high on him. I liked Jolley coming into the year but I didn't expect him to make this type of impact. He makes a lot of big plays and could be an All Pro if he continues to progress like he has.

Unsung hero - Ryan Pickett

He gets very little credit for the job he does. He plugs up the middle and penetrates the offensive line every single snap. He's the main reason why Nick Barnett is going to the Pro Bowl this year. To bad he's not going to join him because he should.

Biggest disappointment - Daryn Colledge

I just don't think Colledge has what it takes to be an NFL offensive lineman. He's undersized and not that strong. His technique isn't the greatest either. Going into the year I was hoping for him to have a solid season but he's been the weakest link on our team through the 1st 8 games. Hopefully someone can get his motor going.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVP-Brett Favre, Brett Favre, and don't forget Brett Favre

As much as I believe that everywhere you look there is serious overkill on the Favre-love, you probably haven't been watching the games if you genuinely don't think that it's Brett. Gunslinger, yes. Most Valuable? Definitely!

Best Offensive Player-Greg Jennings

Yes, Donald is in the trenches. But Gregarious is the deep threat that this offense sorely needed. He brings that speed/YAC dimension that makes this passing offense twice as formidable. Seriously, who else is as consistent of a home run threat as Greg on the O? Nobody, IMO.

Best Defensive Player-Al Woodson

No, that's not a typo. Al Woodson was born with too much talent to be contained in one man's body, so God split him into two men. Now, they are finally reunited and ready to bring about Armageddon.
Re-watching the games like I do every week I realized this: Both players get contact penalties, (which MM is fine with) and rarely get a legitimate PI called on them. We rarely blitz, and yet we get a lot of sacks-cause the coverage is lock-down. It's a better topic to start an entirely new thread for, but that's my take on them.

Best Rookie-Mason Crosby

Tempting to go with Jones, but Mason unseated a pretty good incumbent. He's had ice water in his veins, making kicks in VERY hostile venues on the road, and kicking it deep on every kickoff.

Most Improved-Spider Monkey

Most would go with D-Lee, but this guy was on the practice squad(!) last year at this time, and now has upgraded a position from 'liability' to 'solid' status in a couple of weeks.

Unsung Hero-Ryan Pickett/Johnny Jolly/Corey Williams/Colin Cole

I had to go with all 4. These guys and their freshly rotating, constant pressure, run-snuffing, pass-batting, suffocation are the reason the D has been so solid in late 4th quarter situations, and the D is the reason we've won 7 games. On a good defense, these four boys have played nearly flawlessly.

Biggest Disappointment-Will Blackmon

Had a great camp, better preseason, then got injured. Hopefully he heals in time for the postseason and is able to step in and contribute. I still think he is a good candidate for Al Woodson's understudy, but he's gotta get himself on the field.

Great thread, btw!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
MVP - Ryan
Best offensive player - tromadz
Best defensive player - AADP (very defensive)
Best rookie - trippster
Most improved player - warhawk

And a couple extras:
Unsung hero - Greg C.
Biggest disappointment - dhpackr

That was fun.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVP - Favre
Best offensive player - Jennings
Best defensive player - Kampman
Best rookie - Jones
Most improved player - Bigby

Unsung hero - Lee
Biggest disappointment - Bush

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVP - Favre
Best offensive player - Jennings
Best rookie - Jones
Most improved player - Bigby

Unsung hero - Lee
Biggest disappointment - BJax

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
MVP - Favre

Best offensive player - Jennings, would be Jones if not for the fumbles
(even tho he seemed to put that past him)

Best rookie - Jones

Most improved player - Lee

Unsung hero - Lee

Biggest disappointment - Entire offensive line..for a group that did pretty good last year, I am dissapointed in their play this year

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVP - Favre

Best rookie - Jones

Unsung hero - Lee

Biggest disappointment - Entire offensive line..for a group that did pretty good last year, I am dissapointed in their play this year

how could u say the best offense player is jones barring the fumbles????

thats mind bending

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
MVP - Favre

Best rookie - Jones

Unsung hero - Lee

how could u say the best offense player is jones barring the fumbles????

thats mind bending

Cuz i gots to be different dams it! :D 8) :p

But mostly cuz I got side tracked when posting it ( was at work) LOL

SORRYY

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVP: Brett and Kampman
O: Jennings AND Driver
D: Barnett
R: Crosby
I: Lee and Barnett
U: Corey Williams, John Ryan
D: Wynn (injury prone), Morency, Clifton

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVP: Brett and Kampman
O: Jennings AND Driver
D: Barnett
R: Crosby
I: Lee and Barnett
U: Corey Williams, John Ryan
D: Wynn (injury prone), Morency, Clifton

I'm surprised to see Clifton on the list of disappointments. His run blocking hasn't been good, but it hasn't been good for anybody else up front, either. And Clifton has done a very good job protecting Favre's blind side. He allowed a sack in the first game against Philly, but I'm not sure if he's allowed any since then. I watched the Chiefs game on videotape the other night, and the only time Allen got past Clifton to get a hit on Favre was on a play where Favre was back there for a long time and was forced way back to where Clifton no longer had a favorable angle on Allen.

I agree with you on Morency, though. It's not just that he missed so much time with injury. He's done almost nothing since returning. I wonder if h's still not 100%. He sure looked better last year.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I agree with you on Morency, though. It's not just that he missed so much time with injury. He's done almost nothing since returning. I wonder if h's still not 100%. He sure looked better last year.

Personally I am not disappointed in Mo... actually he has exceeded my expectations.. he has been healthier that I thought he would.. maybe that is because he isn't seeing the field alot. :lol:

At the end of the season, maybe Grant will be the biggest surprise of the year? That is if he can stay healthy.. the last couple of years for the Packers has been hit and miss with the health of our backs.. probably back to the days of Green, Davenport and Fisher..

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVP
Brett Favre, QB
Favre is playing some of the best football ever. It's hard to say he's going to have another 35 TD season, but he's playing at a high level and is definitely proving that he's still one of the best in the league.
Honorable Mention - Nick Barnett, MLB

Best offensive player
Greg Jennings, WR
It seems like every other catch he makes puts 6 on the board. Imagine how dangerous the Packers would be if Greg Jennings started this season healthy.
Honorable Mention - Brett Favre, QB

Best defensive player
Nick Barnett, MLB
Barnett has flourished as one of the top mikebackers this season. He has a nose for the ball carrier, and he's everywhere when it comes to making a tackle. He's also made some key interceptions that put the game away. Tough, tough decision--as Aaron Kampman and Charles Woodson have been making big plays as well.
Honorable Mention - Aaron Kampman, DE; Charles Woodson, CB

Best rookie
James Jones, WR
My boy from San Jose State. He lost us the Bears game, but his hands and run after the catch seperate him from most other #3's.
Honorable Mention - Mason Crosby, K

Most improved player
Atari Bigby, SS
From a nobody on a wack practice squad, to having the nickname Jamaican Spidermonkey--Bigby has worked hard, and now he's the best SS the Packers have had since Darren Sharper. He's been having some bad games lately, but expect him to bounce back with the loss of Nick Collins.
Honorable Mention - Donald Lee, TE

And a couple extras:
Unsung hero
Charles Woodson, CB
Two interceptions. Two touchdowns. We don't want him returning kicks, but he amazes us with his clutch performance after the 2:00 warning. Woodson is proving why he wasn't a Free Agent bust.
Hnorable Mention - Greg Jennings, WR; Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, DE

Biggest disappointment
Nick Collins, FS
After a sophomore slump followed by absolute brilliance in Week 17, we thought Collins would finally flourish and become one of the top safeties in the league in 2007. Instead he comes off as very ordinary, and now he's injured.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

MVP
Best offensive player
Best defensive player
Best rookie
Most improved player

And a couple extras:
Unsung hero
Biggest disappointment

MVP-Favre. We are not 7-1 without him under center
Best Offensive Player-Brett Favre
Best Defensive Player-Aaron Kampman
Best Rookie-Mason Crosby
Most Improved Player-Donald Lee and Johnny Jolly are a tie.

Unsung Hero-Donald Driver. He creates much of the room for Jennings and Jones to contribute
Biggest Disapointment-Daryn Colledge. I had high hopes for him.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVP
Brett Favre, QB
Favre is playing some of the best football ever. It's hard to say he's going to have another 35 TD season, but he's playing at a high level and is definitely proving that he's still one of the best in the league.
Honorable Mention - Nick Barnett, MLB

Best offensive player
Greg Jennings, WR
It seems like every other catch he makes puts 6 on the board. Imagine how dangerous the Packers would be if Greg Jennings started this season healthy.
Honorable Mention - Brett Favre, QB

Best defensive player
Nick Barnett, MLB
Barnett has flourished as one of the top mikebackers this season. He has a nose for the ball carrier, and he's everywhere when it comes to making a tackle. He's also made some key interceptions that put the game away. Tough, tough decision--as Aaron Kampman and Charles Woodson have been making big plays as well.
Honorable Mention - Aaron Kampman, DE; Charles Woodson, CB

Best rookie
James Jones, WR
My boy from San Jose State. He lost us the Bears game, but his hands and run after the catch seperate him from most other #3's.
Honorable Mention - Mason Crosby, K

Most improved player
Atari Bigby, SS
From a nobody on a wack practice squad, to having the nickname Jamaican Spidermonkey--Bigby has worked hard, and now he's the best SS the Packers have had since Darren Sharper. He's been having some bad games lately, but expect him to bounce back with the loss of Nick Collins.
Honorable Mention - Donald Lee, TE

And a couple extras:
Unsung hero
Charles Woodson, CB
Two interceptions. Two touchdowns. We don't want him returning kicks, but he amazes us with his clutch performance after the 2:00 warning. Woodson is proving why he wasn't a Free Agent bust.
Hnorable Mention - Greg Jennings, WR; Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, DE

Biggest disappointment
Nick Collins, FS
After a sophomore slump followed by absolute brilliance in Week 17, we thought Collins would finally flourish and become one of the top safeties in the league in 2007. Instead he comes off as very ordinary, and now he's injured.

What you wrote here I really like too. My only disagreement would be to add Al Harris to Unsung hero. I'd like to see his name somewhere, and that's probably where. Jennings you already have, so I'd take Jennings off Unsung Hero and put Al Harris up there in Honorable Mention.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts