Packer fans, who do you give the Rookie of the Year to?

Who gets your vote for ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

• Total voters

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Redskins seem to hover aroun .500 every yr.
RGIII has helped a lot and given that fan base / team somthing to cheer about.

Wilson was / is a huge suprise and is having a great season not to mention getting Seattle into the playoffs.

But my vote would go to Luck.
In the come from behind games he won he looked like a Vet.
and NO ONE thought the Colts would be in this postion at the begining of the season.
This team was garbage last year....
Luck deserves the award and I hope they slap up Houston this weekend.
That place is going to be going bananas on Sunday!

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I would prefer the men at the top of the Colts to get the most recognition the more I think about it. Arians/Pagano/Grigson.

This Colts team gives me the warm fuzzies!!!! We are such a fearless little group of small market misfits. :inlove:

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most experts I have talked to said Griffin has been the best by far of them, but in the last month-2, Wilson has been the best.
Luck has been asked to do the most, and he has as far as yardage and Ints. His TD production still isn't higher though.

However, because he had 2 years of superhype at Stanford and because many said he was the most NFL-ready QB prospect since Elway, etc..... he has the hype you usually only see from NFC East teams... and Luck is, I heard, the Vegas betting favorite for this award.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to disagree. RG3 gets the nod. His performance overall has been more consistent than Luck. And while Luck technically turned around a "2-14 team", IMO they weren't really a 2-14 team last year. They threw the season, plain and simple. The started arguably the worst QB the NFL has seen in a decade in Painter for 8 games until they all but had the #1 pick locked up. When they finally switched to Orlovsky, they finished the last 5 games at 2-3, including a win against Houston. If they had been playing to win last year, they could have easily won 5-7 games. But they didn't. So I don't credit Luck with turning around a 2-14 team. IMO, they were more legitimately a 6-10 quality team last year. BTW, the Redskins were 5-11 last year.

The case for RG3 over luck is clear. RG3 is 2nd in passer rating at 104.1. That's almost unheard-of for a rookie. Luck's rating is an abysmal 75.6. I don't think RG3's WRs are any better than Luck's. Luck only completes 54% of his passes and has 18 INTs. RG3 completes 66% and only has 5 INTs. He's the second rookie to ever post a perfect Passer Rating (something Rodgers has never done.) RG3 is also a high character guy. He's hesitant to take credit for anything and gives all the praise to his teammates for his performance. I not only think RG3 deserves ROY honors, but if he had about 7 or 8 more TD passes, he would also be included in the MVP discussion.

Rodgers didn't start his rookie year.

Character doesn't factor into an award.

You can say all you want about a team not really being a 2-14 team but the fact is that the colts were a 2-14 team last year. They were terrible. Luck has done more with less and it's really not even close on the talent comparisons from the colts to the redskins. You really can't go wrong with either and even though Luck clearly has done more with less I give a slight nod to RGIII.

not sure about defensive ROY but I would like to see hayward win it

Edit:

It's also worth noting that completion % and interceptions, while they offer some merit, are not even close to being the top factors in what makes a good quarterback.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Skins rookie RB Alfred Morris deserves more credit than he recieves for turning the team around. Great talent.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
If luck wins this award, how much you wanna bet Al Sharpton comes out with some race related comments about how the "black man" was held back? Not nice to say, and I don't mean anything negative by that, but it's the truth. Either sharpton or some commentator will speak of it...bet on it.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No they had a 2 win coaching staff in Indy last year. They had no coaching staff with brains and no QB. That means 2 wins at best.

You're one of the only Colts fans I know that won't admit they threw the season last year. That's the ONLY explanation for starting Curtis Painter for 8 straight games. It wasn't because the coaching staff was too dumb. It's because they did as they were told.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rodgers didn't start his rookie year.

The point was he's never had a perfect passer rating.

It's also worth noting that completion % and interceptions, while they offer some merit, are not even close to being the top factors in what makes a good quarterback.

Production and efficiency are top of the list. RG3 blows Luck away in these aspects. Frankly, if Luck's last name was "Weeden" or "Tannehill" with the exact same performace, he wouldn't even be in the conversation. The talk would be about whether Pagano/Arians should share the COY award. Do you really think Wilson and RG3 wouldn't have done at least as well win-wise with the Colts this year? Please. Frank hit it on the head regarding the hype machine.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If luck wins this award, how much you wanna bet Al Sharpton comes out with some race related comments about how the "black man" was held back? Not nice to say, and I don't mean anything negative by that, but it's the truth. Either sharpton or some commentator will speak of it...bet on it.

If he wins it, there's be a whole lot of WTF all over the place by anyone who pays attention.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RGIII. Honestly you have to ask yourself....who would you not wanna face RGIII, Luck, or Wilson?? we lost to Luck but that was one of the worse collapses i've seen. I'd hate to gameplan against RGIII.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
RGIII. Honestly you have to ask yourself....who would you not wanna face RGIII, Luck, or Wilson?? we lost to Luck but that was one of the worse collapses i've seen. I'd hate to gameplan against RGIII.

He's everything Michael Vick was supposed to have been plus brains and accuracy. He'll be MVP at least once in his career.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the thing. I don't buy into the crap that last year's Colts were truly a 2-win team. They intentionally threw their season last year by starting Painter for 8 straight games until they all but had the top pick locked away. If they had actually tried to win last year, they would have won at least 5 games and probably 6 or 7.

I just don't see the argument for Luck over RG3. Their efficiency as passers simply don't compare at this point.

My only argument against your Colts theory is that Painter was the back up since 2009. It wasn't like they signed him at the beginning of the year to "throw the season". The Colts kept him on the roster for two full seasons before naming him the starter last season. The Colts were legitimately grooming him to be a serviceable backup/future starter.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only argument against your Colts theory is that Painter was the back up since 2009. It wasn't like they signed him at the beginning of the year to "throw the season". The Colts kept him on the roster for two full seasons before naming him the starter last season. The Colts were legitimately grooming him to be a serviceable backup/future starter.
It shows how lucky they were to get Luck, someone they said was the most NFL-ready prospect at QB since...... they landed Manning.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It shows how lucky they were to get Luck, someone they said was the most NFL-ready prospect at QB since...... they landed Manning.

I totally agree. Look at the poor Chiefs. They're last playoff win was quarterbacked by Joe Montana. They'll have the first pick this year, but no good options at quarterback. They'll draft either a DT, DE or OT.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree. Look at the poor Chiefs. They're last playoff win was quarterbacked by Joe Montana. They'll have the first pick this year, but no good options at quarterback. They'll draft either a DT, DE or OT.
Look for them to go the Jamarcus Russell route, and take Geno Smith as their supposed QB of the future.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look for them to go the Jamarcus Russell route, and take Geno Smith as their supposed QB of the future.

I don't think they have to go that route. Geno Smith or Matt Barkley could be available with their first pick in the second round. There are also always teams eager to trade a pick between #21 and #29 for a 2013 second round and future pick (usually a 2014 first or second round pick).

Members online

Latest posts