Packer fans, who do you give the Rookie of the Year to?

Who gets your vote for ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an unreal race of 3 QBs for this award.

#1 overall pick Luck has led the Colts to 10 wins, including an amazing comeback win over US dammit. He has broken the rookie record for yards passing already. But his overall stats are Sam Bradford-like.

#2 overall pick Robert Griffin has been pretty amazing and his legs aren't the only thing special about him. His passer rating is about 104.

And former Badger Russell Wilson has been fantastic and led Seattle to 150 points the past 3 weeks, a feat never accomplished...

MORE HERE

Unfortunately for the voters, a breakdown of the stat lines for the triumvirate doesn’t help things much. Just take a look at the chart below.

TDs
INTs
Yards
%
Rating
Wins
Rushing numbers
Robert Griffin III
752 yards, 6 TDs
Andrew Luck
254 yards, 5 TDs
Russell Wilson
431 yards, 3 TDs

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I went with Luck. He took a 2 - 14 team and turned them around to a playoff team. He broke a few rookie records and has been asked to do a lot of things that a rookie QB does not normally do, or do well, but he is. He has done all this with only having 1 real good WR (wayne) and a decent rookie WR. The colts dont really have a good run game for him to fall back on like the other 2 candidates you posted. Also, the colts defense is worse than the others.

Just tossing this out: defensive rookie of the year = LB Luke Kuechly (sp?) from the Panthers. He leads the NFL in tackles and has 2 INT's and fumble rec., and forced fumble. The dude is a beast.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went with Luck. He took a 2 - 14 team and turned them around to a playoff team. He broke a few rookie records and has been asked to do a lot of things that a rookie QB does not normally do, or do well, but he is. He has done all this with only having 1 real good WR (wayne) and a decent rookie WR. The colts dont really have a good run game for him to fall back on like the other 2 candidates you posted. Also, the colts defense is worse than the others.

Just tossing this out: defensive rookie of the year = LB Luke Kuechly (sp?) from the Panthers. He leads the NFL in tackles and has 2 INT's and fumble rec., and forced fumble. The dude is a beast.

Luke is a beast, but tackles are a misleading stat as any.

Hayward is hands down the DROY. He is PFFs top rated cb in the league and if you know the grading system you realize how special that is when he is doing it with 300 less snaps than the #2 guy.

Wilson is my pick for OROY. Doug Martin should get some love. Lucks numbers are Egh. I'd put rg3 ahead of luck. I think luck has a pro bowl year next yr though

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a toss-up between all three of those QBs. I'm kinda partial to RG3 cause I watch the skins a lot since they're on fox in the Richmond, Va area all the time.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would pick Luck though because he doesn't have as good of a team around him as the other two.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read the thread question, thought this was for a Packers rookie award... Im still going with Hayward :D

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I have to disagree. RG3 gets the nod. His performance overall has been more consistent than Luck. And while Luck technically turned around a "2-14 team", IMO they weren't really a 2-14 team last year. They threw the season, plain and simple. The started arguably the worst QB the NFL has seen in a decade in Painter for 8 games until they all but had the #1 pick locked up. When they finally switched to Orlovsky, they finished the last 5 games at 2-3, including a win against Houston. If they had been playing to win last year, they could have easily won 5-7 games. But they didn't. So I don't credit Luck with turning around a 2-14 team. IMO, they were more legitimately a 6-10 quality team last year. BTW, the Redskins were 5-11 last year.

The case for RG3 over luck is clear. RG3 is 2nd in passer rating at 104.1. That's almost unheard-of for a rookie. Luck's rating is an abysmal 75.6. I don't think RG3's WRs are any better than Luck's. Luck only completes 54% of his passes and has 18 INTs. RG3 completes 66% and only has 5 INTs. He's the second rookie to ever post a perfect Passer Rating (something Rodgers has never done.) RG3 is also a high character guy. He's hesitant to take credit for anything and gives all the praise to his teammates for his performance. I not only think RG3 deserves ROY honors, but if he had about 7 or 8 more TD passes, he would also be included in the MVP discussion.

H

HardRightEdge

I'd give the slight edge to Luck on the team turnaround. He's had some accuracy issues, but he's winning.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Offensive: Andrew Luck (4,000+ yards and a playoff spot)

How, exactly, does that trump RG3? Only reason Luck has 4000 yards is because he's thrown the ball 600 times, which is a result of playcalling. RG3 has nearly 2 more yards per attempt. In fact, he leads the NFL in yards per attempt. If RG3 had the same number of attempts as Luck, he'd most likely be very close to 5000 yards right now. Oh, and he has a playoff spot too.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd give the slight edge to Luck on the team turnaround. He's had some accuracy issues, but he's winning.

Didn't RG3 turn his team around? I don't think Luck gets extra credit for the Colts padding their loss column last year to get him.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By most accounts Luck had a less talented team than either the Seahags or Redskins. Maybe I should have voted for him. :confused:

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How, exactly, does that trump RG3? Only reason Luck has 4000 yards is because he's thrown the ball 600 times, which is a result of playcalling. RG3 has nearly 2 more yards per attempt. In fact, he leads the NFL in yards per attempt. If RG3 had the same number of attempts as Luck, he'd most likely be very close to 5000 yards right now. Oh, and he has a playoff spot too.

You could make an argument for either guy. Luck has 4,100+ plus yards, 21 passing TD's and helped turn a 2 win team into a 10 win team (already clinched the wild card). He's an excellent player having an excellent season.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Both RG3 and Luck turned around teams that weren't competitive. I voted Luck because of the better record and the records that he broke.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone acts like that Colts team was horrible. They had made the playoffs every year for a decade until last year's terrible season which was 100% the result of Manning going out and their backup QBs being horrrrrrrrible.

They still kept Reggie Wayne, who is great.
And they kept Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney for a reason and that wasn't to "rebuild". They are not as talentless as people think. Reggie is still a great receiver.

Luck's been an average QB who has made a lot of mistakes but come thru in the end in many cases. Good for him, clutch.

RG3 has carried his team... his receivers are worse than Wayne @ Company.
He's much of the reason why the rookie RB for Washington has done so well. Alfred Morris.... was drafted after a rookie RB on the Colts this year, plus they have/had Donald Brown at RB, a 1st rounder a few years ago who looked good against us this October.

That was not a 2-14 roster there.

Griffin's numbers are phenomenal... his passer rating is right there with Rodgers.
He is +15 in TD/Ints compared to Luck being +3. That is a GIGANTIC difference with the arm.
Plus RG3 has been an electric runner when needed.

And then there's Wilson and his +15 TD/Int ratio. Sure, we all know it really should be +13 as we got robbed.
But that guy has been phenomenal as well, very efficient. Yes he has a better team around him.

Luck's only impressive statistic is the passing yardage. But he's thrown 200 more passes then RG3, yet only has 1 more TD pass.... yardage is overrated, ask Matthew Stafford. Points translate to wins more than yardage does.

My Ballot and I have no qualms about any of my choices:
  1. Griffin
  2. Wilson
  3. Luck

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You could make an argument for either guy. Luck has 4,100+ plus yards, 21 passing TD's and helped turn a 2 win team into a 10 win team (already clinched the wild card). He's an excellent player having an excellent season.

Here's the thing. I don't buy into the crap that last year's Colts were truly a 2-win team. They intentionally threw their season last year by starting Painter for 8 straight games until they all but had the top pick locked away. If they had actually tried to win last year, they would have won at least 5 games and probably 6 or 7.

I just don't see the argument for Luck over RG3. Their efficiency as passers simply don't compare at this point.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Both RG3 and Luck turned around teams that weren't competitive. I voted Luck because of the better record and the records that he broke.

Luck has the records for rookie passing attempts and passing yards. Why? Because they do nothing but throw the ball ALL THE TIME. I promise you, I can take any QB in the NFL and get him the record for passing attempts if I am his coach and he stays healthy.

RG3 has the record by a good margin for rookie passer rating. He has completed 12% more of his passes than Luck and gets nearly 2 yards more per attempt.

RG3 throws a TD every 18.75 attempts and an INT every 75 attempts. He is tied for fewest INTs among starters.

Luck throws a TD every 28.5 attempts and an INT every 33.2 attempts. He is tied for the MOST INTs.

And that ignores RG3's ability to scramble when needed.

I just don't see any credible argument for Luck as ROY. A better argument can be made for Wilson.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Here's the thing. I don't buy into the crap that last year's Colts were truly a 2-win team. They intentionally threw their season last year by starting Painter for 8 straight games until they all but had the top pick locked away. If they had actually tried to win last year, they would have won at least 5 games and probably 6 or 7.

I just don't see the argument for Luck over RG3. Their efficiency as passers simply don't compare at this point.

No they had a 2 win coaching staff in Indy last year. They had no coaching staff with brains and no QB. That means 2 wins at best.

KC is not as bad as their record IMO either. They have no QB. Brady Quinn is bad.....really really bad.

Indy has a lot of holes though, don't kid yourself. This o line might have had many QBs on IR by week 4. The run game is shaky. The D didn't even get a turnover for weeks on end this year. The special teams messed up a few times. And yes for some reason I do think Bruce Arians has a fetish for Luck taking shots down field. Well we play with fire a lot this year. Luck has been his best in the clutch. And his picks won't even reach Peyton Manning rookie levels either.

We had so many injuries at CB our GM told a guy he brought in, "If you can't make it at CB for the Colts you are a *****."

Right. But, I don't really care if RG3 gets it either since I don't care much for this award anymore. I already figured it would go to the NFC East kid anyway.

The bigger story to me this season is the job Arians/Pagano has done. It has been a true team effort from top to bottom. Not just Luck.

I mean ask yourselves how many wins you called for Indy before the year started? And they still have a shot at 11 wins Sunday since they are not resting starters and Houston has yet to win in Indy so it's an interesting game actually.

On the plus side, all these rookie picks might make the chances less that Luck has a sophomore slump. Cause his interception total can only go down.....and he has taken a huge beating this year but has NEVER missed a game or a play. The kid in Washington had his backup win in OT vs. the Ravens and beat the Browns. Just saying.....;) And the kid in Seattle has one bad asss D.

Luck is one clutch tough **** though so far....but unless something drastic happens the final week I am not expecting him to take home the award.

Next year though we have cap space too so maybe we can shore up the o line with some better talent.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Oh and the NFC East is the most overrated division in the league to me. The media laps them up though like honey. Without Manning though it will be much tougher for the Colts players to get any awards. We lost our usual media trump card. We are lucky we even got Wayne in the pro bowl, this is a dude who many said used to be a product of Peyton. What? Right, Wayne and Marvin Harrison are/were AMAZING. So yeah I do agree with those who say Luck has had a big benefit having Wayne this year.

Wayne is actually my Colts MVP of the season. He didn't have to come back to Indy but he did. He got offers reportedly from teams like NE but came back to us.

Heck Garcon went and chased coin and fled for DC to play in Synder's fantasy football operation.

I despise the NFC East. All 4 of them. I don't mind at all if RG3 gets the award and he seems like nice funny guy too. But, I do not like that division. Do. Not. Like.

Members online

Latest posts