1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

packer fan arrested for taping jersey to his son

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by JoshTheChild, Jan 17, 2008.

1. JoshTheChild

JoshTheChild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    PORTAGE, Wis. -- Upset that his 7-year-old son wouldn't wear a Green Bay Packers jersey during the team's playoff victory Saturday, a man restrained the boy for an hour with tape and taped the jersey onto him.

Mathew Kowald was cited for disorderly conduct in connection with the incident with his son at their home in Pardeeville, Lt. Wayne Smith of the Columbia County Sheriff's Department said. Pardeeville is about 30 miles north of Madison.

The 36-year-old Kowald was arrested Monday after his wife told authorities about the incident. Kowald was taken to the county jail and held until Wednesday, when he pleaded no contest, paid a fine of $186 and was released.

Kowald's wife filed a restraining order Wednesday, so Kowald will not be able to have contact with his family, Smith said. Smith said other domestic issues have surfaced, though he wouldn't elaborate.

The boy refused to wear the jersey Saturday, when the Packers beat the Seattle Seahawks in a playoff game, Smith said. Smith said the incident sounded strange when reported at first, but the mother took pictures with her cell phone and that type of evidence is difficult to dispute.

Kowald, contacted later Wednesday by the Portage Daily Register, said the incident started as a joke. His son challenged him by saying he wouldn't root for the Packers. When he tied the boy up, the youngster was laughing while his wife took pictures, he said.

"Then he couldn't get out and he got upset and that's it. It lasted a minute," he said. "I didn't mean no harm, and he knows that, but I haven't been able to tell him that."

District Attorney Jane Kohlwey said there wasn't enough evidence to support felony charges.

"I wouldn't agree with what he did, but legally a parent can restrain a child,"' she said. "I have no proof of emotional damage. ... I have to follow the law.

2. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    Yes i just read about that on sky news LOL thats so horrible how could you do that to your own son

3. Profizzle99

Profizzle99 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That would suck to be that kid lol.

4. JoshTheChild

JoshTheChild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    lol ya I had to post this up since I didnt see anybody else do it. This is so funny and shows how hardcore our fan base is! however I would never do that

5. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I first saw it on USA Today.

Even as a Packers fan, I have to be outraged. Sure we want to pass on our love for the Packers to future generations, but not like that.

6. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483

7. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Well.......that IS bad, but it could have been alot worse. He could have forced him to wear a Bears or, oh the HUMANITY, a VIKING jersey!!!!
    That would have scarred the kid for LIFE!!!
    (i'm just kidding!!!)

8. flep

flep Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It must be my warped sense of humour but I find this funny.

Prepares to be banned.!!!

9. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    It IS funny.........and strange at the same time. I don't think it was right for the Dad to do that though.
    But truth is, if it wasn't interesting, it wouldn't be all over the news like it has been.

10. vikefan

vikefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    So thats what happened to you poor souls........Your parents forced the Pack on you!

I can imagine the horror some of you felt as your own Ma or Pa duct taped all those cheesefoams to your heads........

Please, get help while you can, before you commit the same horrors to your own children! :p :p :p

11. flep

flep Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully in a few years father and son will be able to laugh about this.

So vikefan what did your dad do to you to force you into being a viking.

Threaghten with taking you to soldier field??

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh i KNOW!!! The HORRER of all those world championships!
    (Thats nothing you will ever have to worry about) :wink: :lol:

13. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    How about a cowboys, patriots or giants jersey? This poor kid would have had PTSD.

14. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Why wouldnt the kid root for the pack? Crazy.

15. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly read the bolded part this whole thing been such a big deal sounds stupid to me

16. JoshTheChild

JoshTheChild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i bet it aint that serious

17. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Sometimes we don't get all the facts of a story, and it kind of takes on a life of its own.

18. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I do believe it would have been a Capital offense and a possible death sentence had it been a Lions jersey. :wink:

19. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh YES!!! That would be "Cruel and unusual punishment" for the poor child to go through that!!! :lol: