Packer Draft - what would you have done?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no clue what I would have done but one thing I think should be noted is if you wanted Jackson after taking James or Edmunds you would have traded up to get him. There is no way you would assumed he would slide. If the Packers would have took Edmunds at 14 and Jackson was on the board like he was in the late first early second people would have been screaming to trade up to get him.

So if you go James or Edmunds then Jackson you likely don't have a 3rd. Since you passed on corner early you would have trade up to grab the best one left.

That's not true it wasn't far fetched at all that the Packers could get Jackson in the 2nd without trading up. Running slow and being a one year wonder it was fairly easy to see he wasn't likely to go in the first round. I would of gone...

#14 Terrell Edmunds lb
#45 Josh Jackson cb
#65 Lorenzo Carter lb
#76 trade packers 76, 133, 174 for raiders 65
#101 Antonio Callaway wr
#138 jmon Moore wr
#172 parry Nickerson cb
#186 equanimus St Brown wr
#207 Bradley Bozeman ol
#232 bo scarobrough rb
#239 Kendall donnerson lb

But in the end I like the Packers draft I think alexander, Jackson, Burks, Moore, St brown, Scott, and Madison are gonna be players while donnerson will be a special teams ace

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers have mentioned that after every single draft since I started following them closely though.
This was Gutekunst first year. I wasn’t sure what to expect. I’ve always felt the Packers front office was very disciplined since Sherman left. I still have that feeling.

D

Deleted member 6794

This was Gutekunst first year. I wasn’t sure what to expect. I’ve always felt the Packers front office was very disciplined since Sherman left. I still have that feeling.

I didn't expect anything else with Gutekunst having worked under Thompson for a long time.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not true it wasn't far fetched at all that the Packers could get Jackson in the 2nd without trading up. Running slow and being a one year wonder it was fairly easy to see he wasn't likely to go in the first round. I would of gone...

Fairly easy? At least 90% of mocks had him going in the first round. I just did a quick look and found one or two that didn't. Of the ones that went to second round I never saw him slipping to where the Packers picked.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have drafted all the guys who will be in the Pro-Bowl in three years. Well, maybe not all of them, but at least five.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't expect anything else with Gutekunst having worked under Thompson for a long time.
I was hoping for that, but wasn’t completely sure. Wasn’t sure how he’d handle the pressure. Generally speaking, most of Thompson’s guys have appeared to adopt many of his principles.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Fortuntely Gutekunst seems to be more aggressive in using all methods available to upgrade the roster though.
While Thompson made such moves over the course of his tenure, not as many in such a short time, nor like you said, as aggressive IMO. Now just maybe a FA signing/Trade or 2 and Gute has the roster ready to open camp and the 2018 season! :tup:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fortuntely Gutekunst seems to be more aggressive in using all methods available to upgrade the roster though.

Ted was very conservative all around and I see Gute leaning that way but not nearly as much. He did pay Graham a lot of money but I don't see that as any indication he will throw money willy nilly at the highest hyped free agents just to address a problem.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted was very conservative all around and I see Gute leaning that way but not nearly as much. He did pay Graham a lot of money but I don't see that as any indication he will throw money willy nilly at the highest hyped free agents just to address a problem.

Because him offering Watkins, Robinson and Fuller huge money isn't really indicative of that?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We’ll see. He hasn’t picked up a player of Woodson’s or Peppers calibre yet.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Good point, but Wilkerson and Graham are a good start and both have the potential to be high impact players for the Packers. I don't remember the full media and fan reactions to the signings of Woodson or Peppers, but I imagine at the time, there were quite a few who thought maybe TT was just getting 2 guys past their prime.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This exercise is difficult because there are guys who fell for weird reasons that we weren’t aware of before the draft (Hurst, Landry, Sweat, St. Brown) that I think most of us would taken well before they actually got drafted.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because him offering Watkins, Robinson and Fuller huge money isn't really indicative of that?

And none of them are Green Bay Packers now are they?

What were the offers he made to Watkins and Robinson? I had heard rumors he was interested but I didn't know he offered them contracts.

I see where Robinson says it came down to the Bears and Packers so they must have offered him a contract but we have no idea what it was. Obviously it wasn't enough. He could have been weighing his options between a chance for a ring and the money and in the end the money won out.

Being serious isn't the same as being stupid.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers definitely shouldn't overpay for free agents but I like Gutekunst seemingly having been in discussion with veterans having the potential to address positions of need.

Once again, it's exciting that the Packers are finally in the discussion for top free agents again. I'm absolutely fine with Gutekunst setting a bar he doesn't want to exceed in those contract talks though.

Well, while that's true Thompson only did it twice in 13 years. Overall Gutekunst was more aggressive over his first few months than TT has ever been.

I don't remember the full media and fan reactions to the signings of Woodson or Peppers, but I imagine at the time, there were quite a few who thought maybe TT was just getting 2 guys past their prime.

A lot of Packers fans were skeptical about what Peppers had left when the Packers signed him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This exercise is difficult because there are guys who fell for weird reasons that we weren’t aware of before the draft (Hurst, Landry, Sweat, St. Brown) that I think most of us would taken well before they actually got drafted.
I wouldn't call the exercise itself "difficult", since using hindsite actually makes it really easy to say things like "oh hell, that guy (EQ) was still there in the 6th, so I won't draft him in the 3rd". But I think I know what you mean, it isn't a "realistic" exercise in the sense that it allows use of that perfect vision of knowing what happened. Much like the vision people use on grading players and selections 1-4 years out....."TT was an idiot for selecting player X, when player Y was available."

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously this is much easier in hindsight but this would have been my best case scenario. My scenario involves the trade back with the Saints and picking up our extra 2019 first but instead of trading back up with the Seahawks I would have just stayed at 27. I still think we may be able to get Jaire but if not we could have still gotten Hughes who I think is very similar. Obviously in my scenario we really address corner, OL, and EDGE.

1st Round Pick 27: Jaire Alexander/ Mike Hughes, CB- Should start immediately as slot CB

2nd Round Pick 45: Josh Jackson CB- Sit and learn behind Tramon and add playing time as the year progresses

3rd Round Pick 76: Josh Sweat, EDGE- High upside pass rusher to spell Matthews. Even with medical concerns would be situational his rookie year and just see what happens. Too talented to pass up.

4th Round Pick 101: Ian Thomas TE- 2nd or 3rd TE to develop. The future when Graham is gone.

4th Round Pick 133: Tyrell Crosby, OL- Competes for starting RG and even tackle in the future.

5th Round 138: Maurice Hurst DL- Too talent to not take a shot. I know our docs are as conservative as they come but here would have been WELL worth the risk.

5th Round 147: Jamarco Jones, OL- Another high upside OL prospect. Compete for G spot or quality youth and depth.

5th Round 172: Deon Cain WR- talked as a possible 2nd rounder. Type of prospect we went for this year and great value here.

5th Round 174: Duke Ejiofor, EDGE- More great depth on the edge. Something we haven’t had in a long time.

6th Round 186: Colby Gossett, OL- Same as Jones. Quality youth and depth to help keep 12 clean.

6th Round 207: EQ St. Brown WR- Loved this pick! Wouldn’t change it for the world.

7th Round 232: Quenton Meeks, CB- CB depth and competetion. Very surprised he wasn’t drafted so why not make our biggest weakness last year much more competitive.

7th Round 239: Trey Quinn, WR- Good slot prospect. Really liked Igwebuike here as a freak safety but he wasn’t drafted and would have made him #1 UDFA to sign.

UDFA’s in priority order
  1. Godwin Igwebuike, S
  2. Jeff Holland, OLB
  3. Holton Hill, CB
  4. Lowell Lotulelei, DL
  5. Simmie Cobbs, WR
  6. Desmond Harrison, OL
  7. Hercules Mata’afa DL
  8. Kevin Toliver CB
  9. Deontay Burnett, WR
  10. Josh Adams RB
  11. Akrum Wadley RB
  12. Ryan Izzo TE
  13. Sean Welsh OT
  14. Tegray Scales OLB
  15. Punters and Long Snappers
In this scenario I could see us possibly adding Dez or another vet WR like Maclin, or Decker after the draft but wow would we have some great depth and youth! ILB would still be weak and I really tried to fit in an athletic LB like Malik Jefferson or Oren Burks but it was hard to say how far he would have fallen if we didn’t trade up for him. All in all I really like our draft but I am a little biased towards mine.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Good point, but Wilkerson and Graham are a good start and both have the potential to be high impact players for the Packers. I don't remember the full media and fan reactions to the signings of Woodson or Peppers, but I imagine at the time, there were quite a few who thought maybe TT was just getting 2 guys past their prime.
Agree. Not as much excitement as surprise. I too have high hopes for Graham and Wilkerson

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And none of them are Green Bay Packers now are they?

What were the offers he made to Watkins and Robinson? I had heard rumors he was interested but I didn't know he offered them contracts.

I see where Robinson says it came down to the Bears and Packers so they must have offered him a contract but we have no idea what it was. Obviously it wasn't enough. He could have been weighing his options between a chance for a ring and the money and in the end the money won out.

Being serious isn't the same as being stupid

If they offered a contract comparable to the one he got, which is a safe assumption, then it does mean he was being stupid.

For years this board was in agreement that it was best to stay away from high prices guys and the best course was to be more aggressive with the 2nd and 3rd tier guys. My did that tune change when Gute made runs at Watkins, Robinson, Fuller and actually signing Graham (probably the worst contract handed out this offseason) after missing out on Watkins and Robinson

But hey I guess making runs at 4 of the highest priced guys on the market doesn't qualify as being aggressive

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they offered a contract comparable to the one he got, which is a safe assumption, then it does mean he was being stupid.

For years this board was in agreement that it was best to stay away from high prices guys and the best course was to be more aggressive with the 2nd and 3rd tier guys. My did that tune change when Gute made runs at Watkins, Robinson, Fuller and actually signing Graham (probably the worst contract handed out this offseason) after missing out on Watkins and Robinson

But hey I guess making runs at 4 of the highest priced guys on the market doesn't qualify as being aggressive

Again, being aggressive in free agency is not the same as being stupid. They went after 4 top free agents and got one. Had they signed Robinson or Watkins I doubt they would have gone after Graham. Its also been one year. You have your reasons to think Gute will be stupid in free agency and I have my reasons to think he will not be. To each his own.

And I am not sure the board was in agreement. Many here were calling for top level signings all along.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not sure how anyone can say that Gute wasn't aggressive in Free Agency, especially when considering how much cap space he had to play with, unless those people saying it, just aren't happy about the players he signed.
  • He went after and signed the top FA TE.
  • He tendered one of the top CB's and who knows how active he was with a few of the others.
  • He signed one of the top FA DT.
  • He was rumored to be trying to sign one of 2 of the top 5 FA WR's.
  • How many other possible FA signings did Gute go after that we aren't aware of?
Come on man, what do you want? Cut everyone and go for broke with the savings? Cutting Jordy loose was also an aggressive move IMO. I believe this wasn't just because the Packers thought Jordy didn't have much left in him, but they wanted the savings to spend on improving the team, which they may still do (spend the savings).

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure how anyone can say that Gute wasn't aggressive in Free Agency, especially when considering how much cap space he had to play with, unless those people saying it, just aren't happy about the players he signed.
  • He went after and signed the top FA TE.
  • He tendered one of the top CB's and who knows how active he was with a few of the others.
  • He signed one of the top FA DT.
  • He was rumored to be trying to sign one of 2 of the top 5 FA WR's.
  • How many other possible FA signings did Gute go after that we aren't aware of?
Come on man, what do you want? Cut everyone and go for broke with the savings? Cutting Jordy loose was also an aggressive move IMO. I believe this wasn't just because the Packers thought Jordy didn't have much left in him, but they wanted the savings to spend on improving the team, which they may still do (spend the savings).

I don't know if you are talking about me or not. I never claimed he was not aggressive I was just saying I don't think he was being stupid about it just throwing money after the top guys just to get the top guys. Obviously if you want one of the top guys you are going to have to go after them and if you don't get your first one you try to get the next and the next until you either sign one or it gets to the point where you don't want anyone who is left. I doubt he would have pursued Graham if he would have signed Robinson so saying he threw big money at Robinson Watkins and Graham makes it sound like he offered them all big money at the same time which I do not believe was the case.

Gute was aggressive but he was smart about it. He had his limits and he stuck to them and took what he felt he could live with and afford. He could have spent more on Robinson but he didn't think he was worth it. RRyder seems to think he offered Watkins a deal (I have not seen evidence of this) but even if he did he obviously felt he was too expensive and went no higher. He offered Fuller a fair deal probably knowing the Bears would match it. If it had been a stupid deal the Bears wouldn't have matched it. The Wilkirson deal was not a stupid deal in any sense of the word IMO. You could argue that the Graham deal was stupid but if your goal was to obtain a top rated pass catcher you do have to pay for them.

The whole recent discussion between RRyder and I stems from me saying I didn't think Gute was going to be one of those GMs who simply went all out and bought all the top FAs in an attempt to buy a championship and RRyder disagreeing with me. He could have had any FA he wanted but the fact he didn't sign every one he went after tells me he is going to be a bit more conservative than just spending as much as it takes but certainly more aggressive than Ted was.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't know if you are talking about me or not.
Nope, wasn't including you in my "come on man" statement ;)

I think Gute did quite a bit with the limited funds available. While Fuller might have turned into a good signing, I really wasn't that sad when we didn't sign him after I saw what the contract was for. Yes, we need a top CB, but not so sure Fuller at that price will end up being a great deal for the Bears, not to mention, one injury and there goes a big chunk of your cap. I just hope JA and Jackson turn out to be better picks than DR and QR were.

Latest posts