Packer Draft - what would you have done?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There might be an argument to be made that Thompson wasn't that siccessful bringing in talent on the defensive side of the ball as well.
Pick after high round pick going to the defensive side of the ball without results. Was it Thompson, Capers, or (most likely) both? The cornerback position was a revolving door, and when he got some good ones he let them go. I thought the whole idea behind "draft and develop" was to resign your own players.

D

Deleted member 6794

Pick after high round pick going to the defensive side of the ball without results. Was it Thompson, Capers, or (most likely) both? The cornerback position was a revolving door, and when he got some good ones he let them go. I thought the whole idea behind "draft and develop" was to resign your own players.

To be fair, close to every fan was fine with Thompson letting both Hayward and Hyde walk away in free agency. TT doesn't have the benefit of using hindsight to make moves.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They weren't performing at a high level. The new rookies, Randall and Rollins, looked promising as rookies. Just like Hyde and Hayward did. Even looking back at other teams Capers coached players look good early and then fade. Like Haha. The fact that Hyde and Hayward are now performing well is a proof the talent was there all along. The continual pattern as a clue should seal the deal. We had a serious deficiency in defensive coaching.

H

HardRightEdge

They weren't performing at a high level. The new rookies, Randall and Rollins, looked promising as rookies. Just like Hyde and Hayward. Even looking back at other teams Capers coached players look good early and then fade. Like Haha. The fact that Hyde and Hayward are now performing well is a pretty strong indicator. The continual pattern as a clue should seal the deal. We had a serious deficiency in defensive coaching.
Randall and Rollins were on cheap rookie deals vs. the more expensive alternatives. It was a play that did not work out. I say that as having not been a defender of Thompson or Capers.

Take note today that nobody here rues the departure of Randall. Let's see what they say if he has a nice season playing free safety in Cleveland, an eventuality that has a decent probablility.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall and Rollins were on cheap rookie deals vs. the more expensive alternatives. It was a play that did not work out. I say that as having not been a defender of Thompson or Capers.

Take note today that nobody here rues the departure of Randall. Let's see what they say if he has a nice season playing free safety in Cleveland, an eventuality that has a decent probablility.
I've said since the end of his 2nd season, if he gets his head right and accepts his coaching he could be very good. he has all of the physical tools to make a lot of plays and be a lot more than just a starting DB. He could be a real play maker. I am surprised they traded him. Maybe the know something I don't. Maybe they made a mistake, but the kid has talent.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said since the end of his 2nd season, if he gets his head right and accepts his coaching he could be very good. he has all of the physical tools to make a lot of plays and be a lot more than just a starting DB. He could be a real play maker. I am surprised they traded him. Maybe the know something I don't. Maybe they made a mistake, but the kid has talent.
Did not seem to be a happy camper and that did not win him friends in the locker room. Did it all generate from not being happy having to play out of position? Based on Cleveland interviews he thinks so - it bothered him greatly. Time will tell

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Yeah, that’s what I’m afraid of too. I always thought Randall was that naturally instinctive ball-hawking free safety prospect. I think his natural instincts surpassed Collins’ and were more comparable to Darren Sharper.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this is tough. I would have loved to stand pat and draft Derwin James, even more so since Jackson was available to us in the second (for realism I assume that this would not be known to us). However the extra 1st rounder next year can turn out to be priceless. We have a lot of room to move up if needed in 2019, or in the worst case we land 2 late first round prospects.

Round 1; trade up about 5 spots from the Saints pick by giving away our first fourth rounder. Grab either Alexander or Hughes.

Round 2; trade away our second fourth rounder which imo would allow us to jump ahead of the Titans and snatch Landry.

Round 3; i’d go WR here. Grab either Hamilton or Gallup.

Round 4; Dalton Schultz

These would be my ideal picks in the first rounds.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not afraid of that. It was simply an observation.

I'm somewhat sympathic to Randall's Packer situation, a talent misapplied.
to a degree, but they didn't leave him wasting on a bench. He has the talent to be a very good DB too. The only thing misapplied was his attitude it seems. If he'd have just sucked it up and played his part, we could have been pretty dang good for us. Maybe he could be a better safety, and maybe he would have been. But you're in the pro's now playing your role on a team. He has the skills to cover and make plays and when he wasn't too busy sulking and moping, he did. He'd have had more INT's and more break ups etc had he just applied himself rather than feel sorry. ****, he's out there making all sorts of plays, once Hyde was gone and we saw HaHa display the same sort of quit when things got tought attitude, maybe he'd be making the switch to safety this year for us, while we let Ha Ha take a hike or moved Jones up to hybrid and had Randall and Ha Ha back there.

I liked to see Matthews moving around because they wanted to from an attack angle, not because we had nobody else to play inside, and he went in and just did it. Best he could, stats and glory be damned. He did it. Randall didn't.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So not being able to get guys like Randall and Ha Ha "under control" and/or playing to the level that they should, is that on the players themselves, Capers, Whitt or the secondary coaches? As much as people seem to want to pass every defensive issue off on Capers or TT, I gotta believe its the positional coaches that should be taking some of the heat for players like this. They are the ones who spend more time with these guys, as well as being on the field.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there is no great answer. Someone can be a great coach, but not reach every player. No coach does. Personally, I wouldn't have written off Randall yet, and I haven't for Ha Ha. Both are young enough and talented enough to be better and mature. I think Ha Ha is more likely to mature and realize this, but I think Randall has more play making ability by a lot. But he won't do it here, so now I hope he flops :) I guess I should add, I believe Randall did play well when he was healthy. I don't think he was feeling sorry for himself too much while on the field and healthy. BUt he certainly let his feelings be known thru body language on the field and off the field i'm sure the coaches and other players it appears were tired of it.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, close to every fan was fine with Thompson letting both Hayward and Hyde walk away in free agency. TT doesn't have the benefit of using hindsight to make moves.

However had Hayward and Hyde been used properly by the coaches close to no fans would have been fine with it. And TT should have recognized they weren't being put in position to succeed.

H

HardRightEdge

So not being able to get guys like Randall and Ha Ha "under control" and/or playing to the level that they should, is that on the players themselves, Capers, Whitt or the secondary coaches? As much as people seem to want to pass every defensive issue off on Capers or TT, I gotta believe its the positional coaches that should be taking some of the heat for players like this. They are the ones who spend more time with these guys, as well as being on the field.
You're going to find out sone eoungh. The DC is new. The GM is new. The GM spent two high picks on corners. The GM brought back two FA corners coached by Whitt. The only constants remaining from last season are Whitt and Whitt's former players.

1) If the new guys stink it up again, then blame it on Whitt.

2) If King, Jones, et. al., stink it up in thier second years while the rookies and FAs perform well, blame past failures on Thompson's lost draft mojo.

3) If they all perform well, blame the past on Capers.

4) If they all stink it up, blame everybody. There are other more subtle permutations than those above, but this last one would surely be a winner in these pages.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you know for a fact they didn't or that Arizona didn't just laugh at them?

What? The thread is “What Would You Have Done”...not “what the Packers should have done.” I would have called Arizona and tried to make a deal for Peterson.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
What? The thread is “What Would You Have Done”...not “what the Packers should have done.” I would have called Arizona and tried to make a deal for Peterson.
Sorry, forgot where I was for a moment. So after they laughed in your face, what would you have done? Called emergency services to do a welfare check on them? In case they didn't catch there breath and passed out.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, forgot where I was for a moment. So after they laughed in your face, what would you have done? Called emergency services to do a welfare check on them? In case they didn't catch there breath and passed out.
I think AZ would have excitedly accepted. It would have fallen apart later, though, when the paper work the Packers sent them said Patrick and not Adrian.

Not sure what AZ would do. The trade isn't worth it to AZ but then again, they may be in a more rebuilding mode and would have taken it. I would say probably not, but there was a decent chance they take it.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yea nothing like having a chance to get another corner who’s younger and cheaper in the 1st rd along with another weapon for your young QB and to help Fitzgerald. That would be dumb

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea nothing like having a chance to get another corner who’s younger and cheaper in the 1st rd along with another weapon for your young QB and to help Fitzgerald. That would be dumb
I would question why they would want Cobb. Here is your view of Cobb:

. . . Cobb is an average wr...there are plenty of average WRs on the market who are bigger and faster than Cobb... but cost millions less. I’d be willing to cut Cobb and sign Dez Bryant..basically give him Cobbs salary. People are down on Bryant but he ALWAYS has given the Packers problems and he’s a lot better than Cobb.
So, why do you think AZ would trade for a player when there are cheaper and better options?

So taking Cobb and his contract would actually be a negative. Therefore you are suggesting they trade an all pro CB for an unproven rookie and take a cap hit with an overpaid WR.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Its not that far fetched of an offer. Some of the best players don't get 1st round offers and they would be getting a decent young WR to boot. I'm just curious rodell. Would you have made the call prior to the draft or when we were on the clock. The reason I ask is if it would have been prior to the draft the Cardinals would have had the firepower to move up even higher had they wanted to. If it were during the draft they would have had their QB and the opportunity to get one of the best, if not the best, D back in the draft in James James and even though it CB vs S it may have been an intriguing proposition

Whether they would have accepted would have probably depended on how badly they wanted to move Peterson. If it was a situation like the Chiefs were in with Peters they obviously wanted to move on so it didn't take as much as many thought it might to get him. If the Cardinals were just dangling their most attractive trade bait (other than D. Johnson) to try and get a offer the couldn't refuse it may not have been enough.

Members online

Latest posts