Packer depth a mile wide and an inch deep

D

Deleted member 6794

Holy Christ! One half, 2/3, 52.739, what the f**k ever. You get the point or you don't.

While I agree the Packers aren't the most talented team in the league they have a chance to make the playoffs. That's not the case if 2/3 of the other teams are better though.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt it's extremely tough to adequately replace a team's best three cornerbacks but I expect their replacements to perform on a higher level.

I'm starting to wonder if this isn't a coaching issue. For thew last few year the secondary consistently has had issues with miscommunication. Now with lesser talent its more glaring with guys out of position. I don't expect perfection but at least know your job. Maybe Perry isn't the coaching guru everyone thinks he is!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree the Packers aren't the most talented team in the league they have a chance to make the playoffs. That's not the case if 2/3 of the other teams are better though.

Captain, I love ya buddy, but sometimes I'm not sure if I'm talking to a person or a computer.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe Perry isn't the coaching guru everyone thinks he is!

Whitt is actually coaching the cornerbacks. Taking a look at what he has been given it's more likely the talent isn't there. The cornerback group consists of a first round pick that played safety in college, a second rounder with a total of one year experience in college, a sixth rounder and three undrafted free agents.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whitt is actually coaching the cornerbacks. Taking a look at what he has been given it's more likely the talent isn't there. The cornerback group consists of a first round pick that played safety in college, a second rounder with a total of one year experience in college, a sixth rounder and three undrafted free agents.

I say we dress Jabrill Peppers in a Randall uniform for Thursday night...

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
These guys get paid to play the position as well, therefore I expect them to perform on a higher level. Otherwise bring in someone else.

All training camp there was talk about how much quality depth the Packers have at the position, obviously that evaluation was wrong.
More than half the CB's in the NFL are not suited to be a team's #1 CB fulltime and likely going to struggle when a decent QB is not getting consistent pressure to throw before he wants to.
For you to expect our #4 and #5 to play at the same level as your normal starters and be consistently successful under those circumstances is unrealistic imo. Gunter, Hyde and Goodson shouldn't be expected to play at the same level as Shields, Rollins and Randall.

They would have fared better had Matthews, Perry and Peppers been able to apply more consistent pressure. Dang Witten hurt us again with first down catches and I saw him get clearly open against Dix. I found that disappointing.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we even just had below average QB play, (not even good, not even average), instead of just plain bad QB play from our two time MVP QB we'd be 4-1, and leading the division, without breaking a sweat.

What do some people take from that?.... Theres not enough talent on this team.

What I take from that?... That TT has put more then enough talent on this roster and Rodgers needs to stop playing like crap

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You are correct Whitt coaches CB's. Perry coaches safeties

I agree with you the talent isn't there. But that can't be the great Ted Thompson never misses on talent evaluation..............

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are correct Whitt coaches CB's. Perry coaches safeties

I agree with you the talent isn't there. But that can't be the great Ted Thompson never misses on talent evaluation..............

The talent isnt there only because the top 3 CBs are all hurt. Heaven forbid we aren't rolling out 6 starting CBs to start a season. And outside of Goodson name a CB he's missed on?

D

Deleted member 6794

More than half the CB's in the NFL are not suited to be a team's #1 CB fulltime and likely going to struggle when a decent QB is not getting consistent pressure to throw before he wants to.
For you to expect our #4 and #5 to play at the same level as your normal starters and be consistently successful under those circumstances is unrealistic imo. Gunter, Hyde and Goodson shouldn't be expected to play at the same level as Shields, Rollins and Randall.

Unfortunately the backups have played at the same level as Randall and Rollins did early in the season. Once again, if thise guys can't cover NFL receivers there's no reason to keep them on the roster but to bring in other guys capable of getting the job done.

What I take from that?... That TT has put more then enough talent on this roster and Rodgers needs to stop playing like crap

The Packers don't have enough talent to win without elite quarterback play. Take a look at the last 17 games (8-9) for evidence.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately the backups have played at the same level as Randall and Rollins did early in the season. Once again, if thise guys can't cover NFL receivers there's no reason to keep them on the roster but to bring in other guys capable of getting the job done.

The Packers don't have enough talent to win without elite quarterback play. Take a look at the last 17 games (8-9) for evidence.

Is it lack of talent or lack of coaching? The only reason I bring up this is because you look at what the Patriots did without Brady. Are they better with him sure. But without him, I don't believe they are more talented. I think they are better coached. They get more from their players than other coaching staffs would.

Honestly I see the Packers as just underachieving more than not being talented. Lacy last year, Rodgers this year, Rollins, Adams, even Clay this year....

You can't convince me that Brady is more talented than Rodgers. He is however playing much much better. Same with Lacy to Blount or Hogan to Adams.

They just do soo much more with the same or less talent.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read my following post; 2/3 of the league as talented as or more.
I don't think teams down to regularly playing #'s 4,5,6 deep in the secondary are doing very well. toss in a 20mil+ qb that's playing like the worst qb in the league, good luck stacking a roster. I think they have plenty of talent. I also think Randall and Rollins struggled because of inexperience and needing to grow, not for lack of talent

D

Deleted member 6794

Is it lack of talent or lack of coaching? The only reason I bring up this is because you look at what the Patriots did without Brady. Are they better with him sure. But without him, I don't believe they are more talented. I think they are better coached. They get more from their players than other coaching staffs would.

Honestly I see the Packers as just underachieving more than not being talented. Lacy last year, Rodgers this year, Rollins, Adams, even Clay this year....

You can't convince me that Brady is more talented than Rodgers. He is however playing much much better. Same with Lacy to Blount or Hogan to Adams.

They just do soo much more with the same or less talent.

There's no doubt the coaching staff deserves part of the blame for the Packers struggling over the last 17 games.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think teams down to regularly playing #'s 4,5,6 deep in the secondary are doing very well. toss in a 20mil+ qb that's playing like the worst qb in the league, good luck stacking a roster. I think they have plenty of talent. I also think Randall and Rollins struggled because of inexperience and needing to grow, not for lack of talent

They haven't been with out these guys the whole time.
It's the same thing every year.
Same expectations, same TT, same MM, same results, same excuses from the fans.
Time for change.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clinton-Dix has been below average in coverage but in my opinion it's too harsh considering him a disappointment.

Disappointing in that much more was expected from him this year. He hasn't played all that well, and frankly, has been invisible for the most part.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You keep saying they need Elite QB play to win. Anything other then bad QB has been enough. There's a pretty stark difference.

8-9 with bad QB play actually points to there being plenty of talent to go around when with even just average play that record changes drastically

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams that have been winning SB's the past few years have patched their depth up with a mix of Vets, rooks and 1st-2nd year players. But these teams aren't afraid to sign Vets. I to think we should sign a Vet or two every single off season for depth purposes. Nothing wrong with it. The Steelers for example, who are another "draft and develop" team, sign Vets themselves at times.

If TT would add the "vet for depth" to his current philosophy, we'd be okay. He needs to expand his current approach some if he wont completely change it. Either that, or get out.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heh, I see I'm setting a personal record for 'disagrees' today.
Disagree all you want, you're whistling past the graveyard, gang. This team isn't nearly as talented as some, including myself, thought. Note they just got their heads handed to them at home by Jerry Jones Cowboys. This team has no identity, no answers, and is a hot mess, especially now with injuries beginning to pile up.
Wish I could 'agree' with all of you, but I don't see this getting much, if any, better.
Time for change.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heh, I see I'm setting a personal record for 'disagrees' today.
Disagree all you want, you're whistling past the graveyard, gang. This team isn't nearly as talented as some, including myself, thought. Note they just got their heads handed to them at home by Jerry Jones Cowboys. This team has no identity, no answers, and is a hot mess, especially now with injuries beginning to pile up.
Wish I could 'agree' with all of you, but I don't see this getting much, if any, better.
Time for change.

You say "Jerry Jones Cowboys" like Dallas was a talentless scrub team that beat us or something. Dallas has actually drafted extremely well over the past 5 years. Dak and Zeke are going to be hell on wheels together for the next several years.

When Dallas gets a legit pass rusher on that squad, they'll be legit Super Bowl contenders (hell they might be right now) but all the more when they get a pass rusher.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You say "Jerry Jones Cowboys" like Dallas was a talentless scrub team that beat us or something. Dallas has actually drafted extremely well over the past 5 years. Dak and Zeke are going to be hell on wheels together for the next several years.

Going into this season, not much was expected of them- especially missing their QB, shortly followed by Dez. The Packers, however, were touted as a SB contender. Every year it's the same. We talk SB, other teams come out of nowhere and pass us by. Last year the Vikings,Cards and Panthers, this year the Cowboys and Falcons.
Who next? The Lions and Bears?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
personally, I expected a lot out of Dallas this year. Wasn't sold on their defense, but their offensive line has been built on studs and seasoned. Putting a guy like Elliot behind that line wasn't going to lead to anything other than a tough offense to stop

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going into this season, not much was expected of them- especially missing their QB, shortly followed by Dez. The Packers, however, were touted as a SB contender. Every year it's the same. We talk SB, other teams come out of nowhere and pass us by. Last year the Vikings,Cards and Panthers, this year the Cowboys and Falcons.
Who next? The Lions and Bears?

The Vikings -again- you mean. They are 5-0. Lost AP and Teddy and are dominating with defense, special teams and ball control O.

Staff online

Members online