Packer depth a mile wide and an inch deep

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overall, while Ted Thompson has continued to supply the Packers with players of upper level ability, I've always maintained his critical flaw is he views undrafted free agents in the same vein as top level draftees. He and cap guru Russ Ball are masters at keeping the Packers flexible under the cap. But I've always complained that that approach has also left the team('draft and develop') with a perilous shortage of depth, or talent a mile wide at the top and an inch deep behind them.
The secondary is a prime example. Facing the Bears this weekend at the corners will be two young players far down the depth chart. Every team faces injury concerns, but few place such importance on marginal players.
New England has had horrible injury problems this year along with Brady's suspension. They didn't miss a beat. Why? New England scans the league for affordable veterans as backups. Thompson sees veterans as salary cap liabilities(Sitton) and replaces them with lesser, cheaper players(Taylor).
Here's something else to ponder: why are the Packers seemingly every year shredded by injuries? Yes, all teams have injuries, but the Packers every year seem to have many, many people out. I think it's McCarthy's approach in the pre-season of taking it easy on the vets. They don't get 'hardened' to live action, and then when it hits, the injury bug pops up.

D

Deleted member 6794

Overall, while Ted Thompson has continued to supply the Packers with players of upper level ability, I've always maintained his critical flaw is he views undrafted free agents in the same vein as top level draftees. He and cap guru Russ Ball are masters at keeping the Packers flexible under the cap. But I've always complained that that approach has also left the team('draft and develop') with a perilous shortage of depth, or talent a mile wide at the top and an inch deep behind them.
The secondary is a prime example. Facing the Bears this weekend at the corners will be two young players far down the depth chart. Every team faces injury concerns, but few place such importance on marginal players.
New England has had horrible injury problems this year along with Brady's suspension. They didn't miss a beat. Why? New England scans the league for affordable veterans as backups. Thompson sees veterans as salary cap liabilities(Sitton) and replaces them with lesser, cheaper players(Taylor).
Here's something else to ponder: why are the Packers seemingly every year shredded by injuries? Yes, all teams have injuries, but the Packers every year seem to have many, many people out. I think it's McCarthy's approach in the pre-season of taking it easy on the vets. They don't get 'hardened' to live action, and then when it hits, the injury bug pops up.

I have been advocating for Thompson to use free agency more often for several years but don't expect it to happen anytime soon.

FYI the Packers have been among the least injured teams in the league over the last two seasons.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We do realize that we were down to our 4th and 5th options at outside CB against the Cowboys, right?

Even Nickel was #2 in stead of #1 with Hyde out there.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think the injuries only seem bad because you are looking for them...

Have you seen the colts secondary? The Falcons or Bills linebackers? Patriot quarterbacks (their backup for two weeks was a wide receiver lol)? The list goes on, it's just more apparent to you because you pay more attention to the Packers.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we're now complaining about our CB depth?

Please list the number of teams that would be better set then us with their #4, #5 and #6 CBs all starting at the same time in the nickle. Here's a hint it's a very short list

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is there always an attempt to deflect away from seeing this team for what it is, and for seeing what it isn't? There are more talented teams than this one, but I'm not going to get into a long drawn out debate about all 32 teams talent level. I'm talking about this one.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is there always an attempt to deflect away from seeing this team for what it is, and for seeing what it isn't? There are more talented teams than this one, but I'm not going to get into a long drawn out debate about all 32 teams talent level. I'm talking about this one.

I just asked a simple question, who you believed is more talented. That isn't a deflection either, I am trying to get a feeling for who you feel is talented. Patriots? Broncos? Eagles? Cowboys? Vikings?

I am not even saying your wrong, likely i'd agree with you. Just a conversation my friend.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just asked a simple question, who you believed is more talented. That isn't a deflection either, I am trying to get a feeling for who you feel is talented. Patriots? Broncos? Eagles? Cowboys? Vikings?

I am not even saying your wrong, likely i'd agree with you. Just a conversation my friend.

In rereading my post to you, I can see I came across all wrong. Not at all intended as a slap at you, or being pissy.
In general, probably 2/3 of the league is as much or more talented than Green Bay. Too many 2nd and 3rd tier players here.

Reaction score
This team is not as talented as it and it's fan base like to believe.
Personally, I honestly don't believe we have a lack of talent. We do however have a glaring lack of experience which is less crucial long term but more impactful in the short term.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Your talking about this one but when you say your talking about the talent level of this team the discussion begins with how their talent level stacks up across the league.

Refusing to even attempt to compare is just an attempt to complain without substance

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your talking about this one but when you say your talking about the talent level of this team the discussion begins with how their talent level stacks up across the league.

Refusing to even attempt to compare is just an attempt to complain without substance

Read my following post; 2/3 of the league as talented as or more.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bandwagon, one of the wheels has fallen off. We are now the freakin Browns. 2/3's? Really? Good lord. This is just ridiculous. I live in San Diego and they would give their eyeteeth to be us. Sometimes I just wonder at the mentality of fans.

I know we have issues, but so does every other team. Let the flipping season unfold and then let's see how it goes.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bandwagon, one of the wheels has fallen off. We are now the freakin Browns. 2/3's? Really? Good lord. This is just ridiculous. I live in San Diego and they would give their eyeteeth to be us. Sometimes I just wonder at the mentality of fans.

I know we have issues, but so does every other team. Let the flipping season unfold and then let's see how it goes.

And then they complain when others call them spoiled

D

Deleted member 6794

So we're now complaining about our CB depth?

Please list the number of teams that would be better set then us with their #4, #5 and #6 CBs all starting at the same time in the nickle. Here's a hint it's a very short list

These guys get paid to play the position as well, therefore I expect them to perform on a higher level. Otherwise bring in someone else.

All training camp there was talk about how much quality depth the Packers have at the position, obviously that evaluation was wrong.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These guys get paid to play the position as well, therefore I expect them to perform on a higher level. Otherwise bring in someone else.

All training camp there was talk about how much quality depth the Packers have at the position, obviously that evaluation was wrong.

Not sure any team can lose 3 starting corners. 1 ok we will be fine, 2 ohh boy, 3 is crisis level. Could you imagine losing 3 quarterbacks? Or 3 starting linemen? No team has THAT much depth. Salary cap makes sure of that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not sure any team can lose 3 starting corners. 1 ok we will be fine, 2 ohh boy, 3 is crisis level. Could you imagine losing 3 quarterbacks? Or 3 starting linemen? No team has THAT much depth. Salary cap makes sure of that.

There's no doubt it's extremely tough to adequately replace a team's best three cornerbacks but I expect their replacements to perform on a higher level.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well almost everyone nationally disagrees with that assessment. Prior to the season most were saying we had top 3 talent level

Except they don't play like it.
The 'talk' is top talent and Super Bowl contender. The result on the field- which counts far more than any opinions- is a very different story.

D

Deleted member 6794

Except they don't play like it.
The 'talk' is top talent and Super Bowl contender. The result on the field- which counts far more than any opinions- is a very different story.

But even while struggling the Packers currently have a better record than 18 other teams.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts