Packer Breakout players of 2021

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time for some positive Packer threads.

Pick one for offense and 1 for defense. The player who will step up his game and make the biggest impact to the team

Offense:

Josiah Deguara. I think he is a special talent for what MLF wants to do on offense. He wants to keep the defense guessing. Deguara can do it all. Run, catch, and block very well in space. I don't think you will see numbers to show his impact, because his biggest impact will be blocking, but he will be a boost to the offense. 35 receptions and 2 TDs.

Defense
Keke - he was looking good late last season. Word is he put on 17 lbs of muscle and is in outstanding shape. Clearly he is working hard and is focused. I think he can be an impact player which will help Clark as well as the Smiths/Gary. I'm thinking 12 more sacks by the defense with 7.5 by Keke.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Keke can turn out to be consistently above-average, I will be super happy!

AJ Dillon is an easy pick for offense. His production with limited touches was very good last year, and he'll be getting plenty of looks in 2021.

Josh Myers is another one I'd go to just because he stands a decent chance of being thrust into the starting line-up and I trust our FO to find good OL at this point. Calling a rookie a "breakout" player is I think against the spirit of the discussion though because you can't break out of mediocrity without having played a season yet.

Defense, I'm not super optimistic about anyone having a breakout year. Does a "bounce back" year count? :D Then I'd hope Kenny Clark can play a bit better.

Rashan Gary, similar to AJ Dillon, has been good when used, so if he sees a large increase in snaps, he should do well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So to follow the parameters of the OP, on June 1st, 2021 - I'll say my two players are:

MVS - He puts up 1,000 yards receiving, sees his receptions percentage get above 56% and shows the last 25% of the 2020 campaign is the MVS of the future.

Kevin King - He is pissed the FA market wasn't better for him, he knows with Stokes drafted he is merely insurance for a year hopefully and had better produce for his next contract. Could play lights out and he is still someone that SHOULD NEVER hit the field in 2022 on our roster - but I'll welcome a 2021 solid season.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So to follow the parameters of the OP, on June 1st, 2021 - I'll say my two players are:

MVS - He puts up 1,000 yards receiving, sees his receptions percentage get above 56% and shows the last 25% of the 2020 campaign is the MVS of the future.

Kevin King - He is pissed the FA market wasn't better for him, he knows with Stokes drafted he is merely insurance for a year hopefully and had better produce for his next contract. Could play lights out and he is still someone that SHOULD NEVER hit the field in 2022 on our roster - but I'll welcome a 2021 solid season.
The biggest thing for King is the new coach and different system. He is a good potential canidate for a breakout on defense.

As far as MVS goes, there are bold predictions and then there is just plain old bat-shit crazy. I think it's the former in this case but it's close. Hope you are right!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to take Barnes on D. With a huge flier from way out in left field on Black.
On O I'm going to take Amari Rodgers.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sternberger - Takes time for a TE to get acclimated and I think having an actual off-season to practice will help a lot. I think he gets 45 targets, 40 receptions, and 400+ yards. Not a massive year but enough to show he's a TE to be excited about. I'd like to imagine it's one of the WRs but I just don't see MVS increasing his targets that much and while Lazard could improve markedly I'm using my card on Sternberger.

On defense I'm going Savage. He's been impactful at times but his missed tackles have prevented him from becoming a Pro Bowl worthy player. I think he cleans up some of the missed tackles but, more importantly, makes an even larger impact in pass defense this year (whether it's more interceptions or a move to the star position I don't know).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest thing for King is the new coach and different system. He is a good potential canidate for a breakout on defense.

As far as MVS goes, there are bold predictions and then there is just plain old bat-shit crazy. I think it's the former in this case but it's close. Hope you are right!

LOL He isn't terribly far from the point of 1,000 however to be fair a lot of this would depend upon him having to be the #2 more than usual. The fact he has put up the yard totals he has with very limited number of receptions is amazing.

Now had this question been just who is going to be the biggest impact the clear easy answers are Rodgers (if here), Adams or Jones - but with the twist of personal growth I was down to Tonyan, MVS, Lazard, EQSB or Sternberger - because they're the biggest growth candidates. Runyon and Patrick are the two OL that I could see with massive growth.

Jones and Adams are locks and we know what they are. Dillon illustrated perfectly just what he is and it won't be growth as a player his amount of use will just go up - and I personally feel the same with Deguara as well. So right off the top Rodgers, Lewis, Adams, Jones and Dillon are not options. Jenkins, Bahk I also would eliminate we know they're elite. Rookies all are eliminated for me as they're an unknown NFL level commodity which zero measure of "growth" can be taken.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you say we know perfectly what Dillon is with 90 career carries? :eek: He's been very good on a small sample size. Maybe calling it a "coming out" year rather than a "breakout year" would be more appropriate if he performs well in 2021, but if this is going to turn into another semantics debate, shoot me in the face right now.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you say we know perfectly what Dillon is with 90 career carries? :eek: He's been very good on a small sample size. Maybe calling it a "coming out" year rather than a "breakout year" would be more appropriate if he performs well in 2021, but if this is going to turn into another semantics debate, shoot me in the face right now.

Not semantics, he proved when his number was called he was exactly what he was in college and could do it on the Pro Level. I personally feel unless injuries hit, Dillon is very much a known commodity. I could be wrong 100%, but just explaining why I eliminated him personally.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll play!
Offense - Jordan Love!! Is handed the reins to the offense after a Bortles injury by game 6 and doesn't let Blake back onto the field. Usually able to make first 3 reads before dumping off to the safety valve receiver. Throws a few more INT's than we've grown accustomed to but also consistently moves the chains giving the offense frequent scoring opportunities.
Defense - Kamal Martin - ILB ~ I think his athleticism allows him to shine early & often in TC and he stakes a claim for staying on the field for all 3 downs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL He isn't terribly far from the point of 1,000 however to be fair a lot of this would depend upon him having to be the #2 more than usual. The fact he has put up the yard totals he has with very limited number of receptions is amazing.

Now had this question been just who is going to be the biggest impact the clear easy answers are Rodgers (if here), Adams or Jones - but with the twist of personal growth I was down to Tonyan, MVS, Lazard, EQSB or Sternberger - because they're the biggest growth candidates. Runyon and Patrick are the two OL that I could see with massive growth.

Jones and Adams are locks and we know what they are. Dillon illustrated perfectly just what he is and it won't be growth as a player his amount of use will just go up - and I personally feel the same with Deguara as well. So right off the top Rodgers, Lewis, Adams, Jones and Dillon are not options. Jenkins, Bahk I also would eliminate we know they're elite. Rookies all are eliminated for me as they're an unknown NFL level commodity which zero measure of "growth" can be taken.
Seriously, my hesitation with MVS is more about opportunities. Adams and then Lazard will get more targets. Then you have Jones and Tonyan will get the next most. Then I expect Amari Rodgers and Deguara will get some targets as well. MVS is a great field stretcher. If he had better hands he would hit those numbers you mention. But I just don't think he gets that many targets.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously, my hesitation with MVS is more about opportunities. Adams and then Lazard will get more targets. Then you have Jones and Tonyan will get the next most. Then I expect Amari Rodgers and Deguara will get some targets as well. MVS is a great field stretcher. If he had better hands he would hit those numbers you mention. But I just don't think he gets that many targets.

No I get it! Honestly, MVS could have a massive impact and still only get his 30-40 catches and put up 750 yards not 1,000

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not semantics, he proved when his number was called he was exactly what he was in college and could do it on the Pro Level. I personally feel unless injuries hit, Dillon is very much a known commodity. I could be wrong 100%, but just explaining why I eliminated him personally.

We should know by now that you can’t trust small sample sizes from RB’s. And don’t get me wrong, I like Dillon, but saying we know what and who is is pretty presumptuous. Remember Samkon Gado? Peyton Hollis? Dillon has proven he’s talented. He needs to prove he can consistently do it.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EQB- becomes Jordan Love's favorite target.
Josh Jackson- wins a starting spot at safety and frees Savage up to play the star position in the new defensive scheme.

Reaction score
we definitely don’t know anything perfectly yet. One of the bigger concerns with Dillon was if his physicality would transition to the Pros where his competition is bigger and faster (than college level).
In his limited usage he was not only hard to stop, but he also displayed delicate hands (see Tampa in quarter 4) But the best part is his poise as a Rookie.
Dillon was just not intimidated at all by playing top competition in a big game (LA&Tampa) and had we not gotten behind in the second half we could’ve featured him more.

I’m hoping Dillon gets another opportunity late in a big game with a smidge more time. Had we had 3-4 minutes left in that Tampa game or 3 TO’s left (instead of 2:22 on the game clock) and 1st n goal?
I think Dillon is used at least twice and I believe we score 6 minimum there (still questionable on the 2-point).

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My first reaction on offense was Dillon as well but I'm not sure he gets enough work to consider it a breakout. If Jones gets hurt then yeah I'd say Dillon but Jones is still going to be the workhorse. He will get his chances and I do think he will be effective but will it be a true breakout.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me, stats are not that important for a beak out/impact player. Sure, they have to do some things or they are not making an impact. But I would say how well a guy helps us win games. How much reliability he has can be considered. Actually, for me, it could be a million things I guess. But affecting the game.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me, stats are not that important for a beak out/impact player. Sure, they have to do some things or they are not making an impact. But I would say how well a guy helps us win games. How much reliability he has can be considered. Actually, for me, it could be a million things I guess. But affecting the game.

That’s one thing I think many will learn to appreciate about Deguara and if they watch MVS game film outside of solely when targeted they’ll be impressed. Deguara and big dog Lewis honestly could be two of the biggest cogs that make this system run well if it does and they won’t even combine for 50 targets probably.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its Dillon. Maybe Amari breaks a few. I'd love to see an ILB breakout. I'd like to see Rodgers distribute the ball a bit more so maybe Deguara becomes a factor. I think Gary becomes our best OLB this year.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My #2 defensive breakout player is Savage. He was playing better and more quickly towards the end of the season. I believe 'the game slowed down' for him. My thinking is that now with the addition of CB Stokes and maybe a slightly more CB friendly scheme, Savage will be able to freelance a little more without worrying about sliding coverage to compensate.

Reaction score
I think its Dillon. Maybe Amari breaks a few. I'd love to see an ILB breakout. I'd like to see Rodgers distribute the ball a bit more so maybe Deguara becomes a factor. I think Gary becomes our best OLB this year.
One thing Rashan excelled at that was quietly under the radar was setting the Edge. He was pretty effective there it just kinda comes natural to him forcing the runner inside. He’s ideal because when he’s already fading to seal the Edge, he gets to a threshold where he’d be hard to beat around the corner. Unless your an elite level sub 4.4’s type RB it ain’t happening on his watch.

Gary is also good at shedding blocks and tackling from the backside. He’s too strong for an OT to overpower and too quick for them to hang. Some of the below average OT get absolutely tossed like rag dolls by Rashan.
I think it’s his ceiling to set after watching season 2 and the jump he made from a Rookie.
If we can get 1 more iDL to take make jump? Rashan and Z will just be too much for opponents to handle.

Rashan’s combination of raw power and speed and tackling and motor is hard to ignore. Some guys are elite and refined and closer to their ceiling coming out of college and that’s what makes them go top 5. Rashan is just getting started and in a “draft do over” there’s no question he goes top 15 all over again. This year he has an opportunity to raise that bar again. Very Disruptive

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can a rookie break out? I don’t think they can. I’m of the opinion that breaking out means you have to have been in a place first.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense - Dillon
Defense - Alexander (MVP-caliber year)
Special Teams - Scott

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts