Pack vs Cards part 2

Reaction score
Rob Demovsky "McCarthy: Sam Shields had a really good workout yesterday. He's going to do some on-field workout today. Still in the concussion protocol."

Good news here. This means he's progressing through the protocol. Sounds like he's moving on to step 4. Just needs final clearance to be available for Saturday's game.

Rest and recovery. Players may stretch and work on their balance, but they don’t work out beyond that. In addition, they’re advised against spending time on computers, any electronic device and social media. They don’t take part in team meetings.

Light aerobic exercise. Under supervision of the team’s medical staff, the player can start cardiovascular exercise, such as riding a stationary bike and using a treadmill, and work on more dynamic stretching and balancing. The workload is increased gradually and halted entirely if concussion-related symptoms recur. Players can attend team meetings and study film.

Continued aerobic exercise, introduction of strength training.Building gradually on the work of step 2, the player can start weight training.

Football-specific work. The player adds non-contact football drills, such as throwing, catching and running to his repertoire of exercise. No contact allowed with other players, tackling dummies or sleds.

Full football activity, full clearance. The player resumes practicing with the team, with no limitations. Once the team physician clears him to complete, the player is examined by the independent neurological consultant, who also reviews any relevant neurological tests.
Funny. Back in The Lombardi era Shields would've been playing a few series later. Lol
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up"
Vince Lombardi

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cardinals 2015 Home and Road Splits:

Cardinals Away (7-1):
Non-Divisional Opponents: Bears, Lions, Steelers, Browns, and Eagles
Points For: 32.75
Points Against: 18.75
Passer Rating (Avg. Opp. DVOA against Pass): 102.4 (19.8)
Opp. Passer Rating (Avg. Opp. Pass DVOA): 84.1 (17.2)
Rushing Yards/Game (Avg. Opp. DVOA against Rush): 133.5 (20.8)
Opp. Rushing Yards/Game (Avg. Opp. Rush DVOA): 99.1 (14.4)

Cardinals Home (6-2):
Non-Divisional Opponents: Saints, Ravens, Bengals, Vikings, and Packers
Points For: 28.38
Points Against: 20.38
Passer Rating (Opp. DVOA against Pass): 96.7 (16.8)
Opp. Passer Rating (Opp. Pass DVOA): 74.4 (12.8)
Rushing Yards/Game (Opp. DVOA against Rush): 106.1 (17.6)
Opp. Rushing Yards/Game (Opp. Rush DVOA): 83.38 (11.8)

*NOTE: All DVOA metrics are the average ranks of non-divisional opponents (i.e. opponnents that are not shared between home and away schedule.

SUMMARY: Just looking at scoring numbers, the Cardinals performed significantly better on the road this year than they did at home. However, looking at the non-divisional opponents, it's clear that the Cardinals had a much easier road schedule, facing only 1 playoff team, as opposed to 3 at home. Delving into the numbers a little deeper, the offense had a lot more success passing and running the football on the road, against only slightly better defenses. One might conclude that the Cardinals offense has been worse, or at least no better, at home. What's impressive is the performance of the defense at home. Despite playing significantly better offenses at home, the Cardinals defense held opposing teams to 16 less yards rushing per game at home, and allowed an average passer rating that was nearly 10 points below their road average.
So what that means is if they played us at Lambeau they would have beaten us 68-8?

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't wait for the game Saturday. Arizona will come out flat and rusty.. We'll have a chance to jump out to an early lead.
No turnovers, no stupid penalties.
Lacy/Starks 22 carries 130 yards
Janis = 101 yard kick off return
Rodgers 31 for 44 330 yards 3 td's
Pack 38 Cardinals 35

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't wait for the game Saturday. Arizona will come out flat and rusty.. We'll have a chance to jump out to an early lead.
No turnovers, no stupid penalties.
Lacy/Starks 22 carries 130 yards
Janis = 101 yard kick off return
Rodgers 31 for 44 330 yards 3 td's
Pack 38 Cardinals 35

See I keep getting this feeling that the Cardinals getting a 2 week bye is going to bite them in the butt. The Packers are coming right off of a game with a short week and the adrenaline still pumping. Palmer is in trouble.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last week was a pleasant surprise. IMO, we're playing with house money now. I'm certainly not raising my expectations for this team after one performance...

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cardinals are 7 point favorites. That's one touchdown + extra point. That's close from how I see it. I wonder if those odds include the recent Cardinals injury update.

Washington was favored by 1 point last week. We won by 17. That's 18 points better than projected. Maybe we can do just half that or 9 better than expected and win by 2.

So all we have to do is play half as good as we did against the Redskins. As long as the Cardinals play half as good as the Redskins did. :confused: It was my understanding that there would be no math.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One can only hope a similar video of Cardinal fans will air next week:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

That's funny but to be honest if it was Packer fans reacting the same way to a missed Crosby FG I'd be laughing just as hard. Well, OK not just as hard because it was the vikings but come on, no one should get that worked up over a game.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Posted this at another forum. Thought I would share it with you all.

Ok, here what I see. The Packers have played 10 games against team that had a top 12 defense in passing during the regular season. 3 of those games, Chicago 1, Seattle, and KC were played before November 1st. They won all three. Rodgers had 10 TD's and 0 interceptions in those three games.

His stat line for those three games looks like this.

91/67 73% 771 yards 8.5 YPA 10 TD's 0 Int 135.4 rating.

Since the November 1st game at Denver, they played 7 more games against those top 12 teams. In those games Rodgers threw 11 Td's, and 4 Int. And his completion percentage in those 7 games is down to 56%. The Packer won two of those games. Vikings 1 and Dallas. However, in that first Vikings game he has his lowest completion percentage all year at 47%, which is his second lowest since he became the starter.

His stat line for those 7 games looks like this.

254/142 56% 1520 yards, 6.0 YPA, 11 TD's 4 Int. 81.5 Rating.

I am thinking he is really having a hard time against the top passing defenses the last half of the season. And watching the Skins game, I don't see anything that would change my mind. Something is way off with him. Does anyone remember him taking a real hard hit in the Denver game? Or maybe the two games before that?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
There has been quite a bit of speculation about an unknown injury to Rodgers, as well as rumors of Olivia Munn having something to do with his "being off". But its just that, speculation and an attempt to try to explain his sudden change in performance. Personally, I would not be surprised if he may have an injury, but I also think the inconsistency of his O line and receivers has something to do with it. Not going to go chase stats down, but I remember reading about the number of hits the guy has taken this year and its way up.

Let's face it, AR is a very cerebral guy. When he lost Jordy, he lost his favorite target. As the season progressed and his line and receivers weren't playing as well as last year, I think AR started feeling the pressure and weight of the offensive failures and begin making uncommon mistakes as well. The offense as a whole has spiraled downward since the Chiefs game. All we can hope for is that maybe.....just maybe they gained enough confidence and are healthy enough to build off of what they did last week.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Does anyone remember him taking a real hard hit in the Denver game? Or maybe the two games before that?

If I recall it correctly Rodgers took a hard hit at San Francisco in week 4 and there has been speculation ever since that he's injured. He even appeared on the injury report at some point during the season with a shoulder injury. I don't think it's the main reason for him struggling though.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Rodgers is not injured if that's what you're implying.
Really? Explain this. Completion percentage.

First 4 games. 70.6%
Games since. 57.1%

That's a 13.5 point spread on his completion percentage. I'm not buying into the O-line theory. I think he is hurt and either he is not bringing it up or the team isn't.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Explain this. Completion percentage.

First 4 games. 70.6%
Games since. 57.1%

That's a 13.5 point spread on his completion percentage. I'm not buying into the O-line theory. I think he is hurt and either he is not bringing it up or the team isn't.

Haha, nice. "Explain this, but I won't let you use the very practical explanation that he's not getting enough protection." I actually think it's partially due to the offensive line and partially due to defenses figuring out that they can press our receivers and not have to worry about getting beat deep. The lack of protection and lack of open receivers probably explains a lot of the decrease in completion percentage. You might argue that he's missed throws he normally makes when he has time and open receivers, but I think that's probably the combined result of a lack of established rhythm and "tightening up", knowing he's only going to get a few of those opportunities a game.

ETA: As far as the offensive line struggles are concerned, Rodgers was sacked 6 times in the first 4 games (1.5/game) and 40 times in the remaining 12 (3.3/game). Not sure what the hits and hurries look like, but I'd imagine there's a similar trend.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
An undisclosed injury to AR would be a very easy explanation for his drop in play, but then I am pretty sure there are 10 other starters on offense playing with undisclosed injuries too. :coffee:

Not saying AR doesn't have something wrong with him, but I think the offensive woes are much more complicated then that and have been discussed all season.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haha, nice. "Explain this, but I won't let you use the very practical explanation that he's not getting enough protection." I actually think it's partially due to the offensive line and partially due to defenses figuring out that they can press our receivers and not have to worry about getting beat deep. The lack of protection and lack of open receivers probably explains a lot of the decrease in completion percentage. You might argue that he's missed throws he normally makes when he has time and open receivers, but I think that's probably the combined result of a lack of established rhythm and "tightening up", knowing he's only going to get a few of those opportunities a game.

ETA: As far as the offensive line struggles are concerned, Rodgers was sacked 6 times in the first 4 games (1.5/game) and 40 times in the remaining 12 (3.3/game). Not sure what the hits and hurries look like, but I'd imagine there's a similar trend.

Finally the voice of reason lol.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quarless to IR and a CB promoted to active roster from PS.
Adams still not participating in practice, so I'd guess he's questionable at best leaving GB with 4 WR's for Sat.
Elevating a CB I'm also guessing that Shields is probably a no-go.
At least Bakhtiari is back practicing to some degree, so hopefully AR won't be draped in Red/White all night.

Guessing that we'll see a generous amount of 2 TE sets or full backfield sets, and very little Cobb in backfield. He takes some hard shots when running and GB can't afford to lose him.

Also optimistic that with 2 TE sets we're able to run the ball and consistently get 4-6 yds., enabling AR some time and the WR's some room to get open when there is a pass play called.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quarless to IR and a CB promoted to active roster from PS.
Adams still not participating in practice, so I'd guess he's questionable at best leaving GB with 4 WR's for Sat.
Elevating a CB I'm also guessing that Shields is probably a no-go.
At least Bakhtiari is back practicing to some degree, so hopefully AR won't be draped in Red/White all night.

Adams has been ruled out (see injury thread). Bakhtiari is probable and Shields is questionable. I think the CB was brought up because both Shields and Rollins are questionable, so we're thin if either or both of them can't go or re-aggravates an injury (Rollins).

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The offensive line was not very good last year either, yet he was league MVP. He has taken quite a few shots. He may or may not be physically injured, but his mind is injured. He is too busy looking for where the next hit is coming from than looking downfield for a WR (who isn't open BTW).

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Guessing that we'll see a generous amount of 2 TE sets or full backfield sets, and very little Cobb in backfield. He takes some hard shots when running and GB can't afford to lose him. Also optimistic that with 2 TE sets we're able to run the ball and consistently get 4-6 yds., enabling AR some time and the WR's some room to get open when there is a pass play called.
I thought Cobb looked “shiftier” (in a good way) than normal against the Redskins running from the backfield. McGinn had him breaking 4 tackles on his 5 rushes. But I think the main advantage of Cobb in the backfield is making it more difficult to cover him in the passing game, so we may see him there about the normal number of times.

If the Packers could consistently get 4-6 yards rushing in the 2 TE set they should be in that set every down except third and long! But since neither RRodgers or Perillo are even average blocking TEs IMO, I don’t see it. Not only that but the Cardinals D during the regular season were tied for 5th in rushing yards/game surrendered and tied for 7th in average rush. If Bakhtiari starts as expected, maybe Tretter at one of the TEs would be better?

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just read that 7000 more tickets were released to StubHub this morning for the game. What does that say for your fan base? Maybe the Cardinals should start looking to move back to St. Louis, I hear they have a vacant stadium!

But hey, going to cut the Cardinal fans some slack, I read there was a big RV Show in Phoenix this weekend.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The irony is that 2 of those first 4 games were against Seattle and KC, two of which you would expect sack nos. closer to what we saw with Arizona.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts