Pack takes Aaron Rodgers -

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
I was listening to a local Sports radio show down here in Arizona, and the radio host is blasting the Cardinals for not selecting Aaron Rodgers.

He said he's sick of these over the hill stop gap QBs for the Cardinals like Warner, Jeff Blake, Dave Kreig, Boomer Esiason, etc.....

In their defense, Warner is better coming into AZ than any of the other listed QBs are...Arizona's gonna have a good team, and I think Warner's gonna lead a very young offense in a very soft division.

There was no way the Packers couldn't take Aaron Rodgers at this point, a QB who was the first overall pick before Alex Smith "impressed" (lol) a few scouts--i'll just add in that if it were reversed and Alex Smith fell to GB, I'd be upset, because Smith isn't gonna make that good of a pro. His offense was all shotgun in college, that wont translate to the NFL, sorry.

The 'Favre successor' debate is now over. And if Brett manages to play another 3 years, who's gonna complain--if he retires after '05, we're covered. First round picks in the future--we dont have to blow them on more QBs...teams like the Redskins, Bengals, a few others...every other year it seems they take a QB in the first round.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
DAY 1 WINNERS

Ohio State RB Maurice Clarett
Not only does the guy end up going higher than anyone thought possible – the last pick in the third round – he lands with a team that suits his skills perfectly. The Denver Broncos have become a factory when it comes to transforming guys like Clarett into 1,000-yard rushers. Oh, and the third round might have been his best-case scenario last year, so Clarett essentially lost no ground in the past 12 months

Day 1 Losers
Green Bay Packers
Getting Rodgers at the 24th pick is nice, but the Packers failed to make any choice that will make an immediate impact on next season's team. And that's not good when you have an aging icon like Brett Favre who is constantly teetering on retirement. Beyond Rodgers, safety Nick Collins was an atrocious reach in the second round, and wide receiver Terrence Murphy is not a need whatsoever.

Yup, Yahoo was money on their analysis! :whistling::laugh: :rolleyes:

Reaction score
I don't want to say it, but Favre will eventually.........retire. With this pick, Favre is able to teach Rodgers and maybe make him better than he is. But the Pack have to fix his release. It is too high. The Packers will also need to draft defense with the next 3 picks. :D
This basically summed up what happened the last 6 years.
They have jersey numbers by all the rookies on the packers.com roster, are they accurate?

If so, Nick Collins is wearing the #36 belonging to Leroy Butler, the anchor of a secondary on two super bowl teams, wow thats a shocker right there... :cry:
And Nick Collins had the numbers to be on pace to be in the Hall of Fame 5 years later. Let alone the pick 6 in the Super Bowl!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you'll allow it? what kind of nonsense is that? this old thread has alot to do with all these "experts" who say this or that. when really we all need to basically just wait and see how the draft selectees pan out.

Dude, lighten up. "I'll allow it" is a catch phrase from and old show, "Celebrity Death Match."

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was no way the Packers couldn't take Aaron Rodgers at this point, a QB who was the first overall pick before Alex Smith "impressed" (lol) a few scouts--i'll just add in that if it were reversed and Alex Smith fell to GB, I'd be upset, because Smith isn't gonna make that good of a pro. His offense was all shotgun in college, that wont translate to the NFL, sorry..

YOU NAILED IT!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Wish that I could say that I just KNEW Rodgers would be the player that he has become when he was drafted ... I didn't. I don't watch college ball. Not even the Badgers...I'll have the game on the radio out in the garage..but... anyway... as I've said in the past, I don't take on individual players as heroes or what have you, so... when McCarthy and Thompson chose to go with Rodgers, I was ok with it. I am EXTREMELY impressed with Rodgers...who wouldn't be... having watched Brett in his prime and now Rodgers in his prime ... I will categorically state that I much prefer the cerebral style of play that Rodgers brings to the table versus Brett's wild-eyed country boy style. Don't get me wrong ... I'm not a Brett hater but nor was I Brett apologist -- just saying that both guys are winners, I just prefer the Rodger's style of play...probably because I'm a former coach and Favre's rocket balls used to drive me nuts...

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you'll allow it? what kind of nonsense is that? this old thread has alot to do with all these "experts" who say this or that. when really we all need to basically just wait and see how the draft selectees pan out.

Come on, I was just messing around. ;) It was a good read to go back a few years and see what some people here were saying and the so called "experts".

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
That was a good post by PWT36, I of course particularly like the reference to the 1958 draft. “This could be one of the most important draft choices since…” Very prescient post.

Of course I didn’t know how good Rodgers would be but I was so excited to have a GM in place who trained under Ron Wolf and whose only job was to be GM, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I did think it was obvious Rodgers was the best player available and that pick was concrete evidence Thompson would be building the team for the long-term and not reaching for positions of need as Sherman had done. Back to back grand slam home runs are impossible in baseball but that’s how I’d categorize Thompson’s first two picks, Rodgers and Collins. A recent column about Collins says Collins was on a HOF pace before his injury and I agree.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Wish that I could say that I just KNEW Rodgers would be the player that he has become when he was drafted ... I didn't. I don't watch college ball. Not even the Badgers...I'll have the game on the radio out in the garage..but... anyway... as I've said in the past, I don't take on individual players as heroes or what have you, so... when McCarthy and Thompson chose to go with Rodgers, I was ok with it. I am EXTREMELY impressed with Rodgers...who wouldn't be... having watched Brett in his prime and now Rodgers in his prime ... I will categorically state that I much prefer the cerebral style of play that Rodgers brings to the table versus Brett's wild-eyed country boy style. Don't get me wrong ... I'm not a Brett hater but nor was I Brett apologist -- just saying that both guys are winners, I just prefer the Rodger's style of play...probably because I'm a former coach and Favre's rocket balls used to drive me nuts...

McCarthy had nothing to do with it. He was in San Fran at the time. As a matter of fact, he helped pick Alex Smith OVER Rodgers. The first time he met Rodgers after being picked as Green Bay's coach he told Rodgers, OK, I didn't pick you. Deal with it!

D

Dan115

Ma
McCarthy had nothing to do with it. He was in San Fran at the time. As a matter of fact, he helped pick Alex Smith OVER Rodgers. The first time he met Rodgers after being picked as Green Bay's coach he told Rodgers, OK, I didn't pick you. Deal with it!

Maybe McCarthy just kind of fell into a good situation. LOL

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
McCarthy had nothing to do with it.
weeds can speak for himself but when he posted, "when McCarthy and Thompson chose to go with Rodgers, I was ok with it." I believe he was talking about the 2008 pre-season in which both McCarthy and Thompson preferred Rodgers to Favre.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DAY 1 WINNERS

Ohio State RB Maurice Clarett
Not only does the guy end up going higher than anyone thought possible – the last pick in the third round – he lands with a team that suits his skills perfectly. The Denver Broncos have become a factory when it comes to transforming guys like Clarett into 1,000-yard rushers. Oh, and the third round might have been his best-case scenario last year, so Clarett essentially lost no ground in the past 12 months

Day 1 Losers
Green Bay Packers
Getting Rodgers at the 24th pick is nice, but the Packers failed to make any choice that will make an immediate impact on next season's team. And that's not good when you have an aging icon like Brett Favre who is constantly teetering on retirement. Beyond Rodgers, safety Nick Collins was an atrocious reach in the second round, and wide receiver Terrence Murphy is not a need whatsoever.

Yup, Yahoo was money on their analysis! :whistling::laugh: :rolleyes:

I love the part about Collins.

If these guys were good at their job they would be working for an nfl team. Since they arent they work for the media.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about Clarett? What happened to this "winner"?

He went on to be a MONSTER in Denver with their factory of 1,000 yrd rushers.

He is now part of the gold standard of running backs: Jim Brown, Gayle Sayers, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith and of course MAURICE CLARETT!!!! :p:x3:

Nah, he's probably working at supermarket somewhere in the midwest.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

Yeah...yeah... I've heard that story a million times. What I should have said was that when McCarthy and Ted decided to go with Rodgers and part ways with Favre, I was ok with that. As I said, I don't watch college ball so... I never heard of Aaron Rodgers OR Alex Smith for that matter.

Members online

Latest posts