Pack just needs to take care of their own business

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Romo was not a rookie last year. ie. that's just the way it is! He played horribly yesterday, and the boys lost. TO is getting pissed off. Dallas is abandoning the run game. Dallas' defense is allowing the opposing teams' mediocre offense dictate the game. i like the way this is playing out.

meanwhile, when the Packers offense sputters, the defense picks up the slack. When both the offense and defense don't play up to par, our special teams control the game for us. Complete football teams win championships (and beat the Bears & Lions!)

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Talking about Dallas is fruitless, because as you stated in the title, The Pack just needs to take care of their own business. After controlling the Rams, GB needs to shore up that defensive effort, which lacked in the first half and get ready for Chicago.

duh bears handed us our first loss this season. We need to go into their house and show them just who is the dominate team in this division. A team needs to dominate their division before being able to dominate a conference or the league. These last two games are against division rivals and will be a great test for getting us ready for the playoffs. Obviously both of them would love to knock us off.

Pride and momentum mean as much as seeding and homefield advantage IMO! As stated in the thread title, if we take care of our business, then we'll be fine. We still need to win our home playoff game before getting to the NFC championship. Once there, be ready to win in Dallas or GB.

It's a long ways away with much to accomplish first. It'll be interesting to see how MM and his young staff are able to prepare the youngest team in the NFL for the biggest stage!

GO PACK GO!!!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
Talking about Dallas is fruitless, because as you stated in the title, The Pack just needs to take care of their own business. After controlling the Rams, GB needs to shore up that defensive effort, which lacked in the first half and get ready for Chicago.

duh bears handed us our first loss this season. We need to go into their house and show them just who is the dominate team in this division. A team needs to dominate their division before being able to dominate a conference or the league. These last two games are against division rivals and will be a great test for getting us ready for the playoffs. Obviously both of them would love to knock us off.

Pride and momentum mean as much as seeding and homefield advantage IMO! As stated in the thread title, if we take care of our business, then we'll be fine. We still need to win our home playoff game before getting to the NFC championship. Once there, be ready to win in Dallas or GB.

It's a long ways away with much to accomplish first. It'll be interesting to see how MM and his young staff are able to prepare the youngest team in the NFL for the biggest stage!

GO PACK GO!!!

Us talking about the Packers is just as fruitless as us talking about the Cowboys.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
meanwhile, when the Packers offense sputters, the defense picks up the slack. When both the offense and defense don't play up to par, our special teams control the game for us. Complete football teams win championships (and beat the Bears & Lions!)

Well said. I'm so sick of that awful cliche that defense wins championships. You need all three to be solid. Our O is solid, our D is solid, and our ST is solid. I'm expecting great things this year. I do think we have a shot of winning it all. :cool:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
T.O. has caught 4 balls in the last 2 weeks, can anyone hear the steam whistle as the pot is beginning to boil over, TO self-implosion could happen at anytime now.

Buckeye - I'm glad you bumped this thread. Not meaning to take things to a tangent, but as I've said on several other threads, I'd take Driver or Jennings over TO. This is why. Morale is crucial to winning championships, and if his psychological problems to erode a locker room, you'll see it translated to the field and it will demoralize everyone else on the team. he is a locker room cancer. I'd hate to have him on my team.

Driver and Jennings may not have the God given ability that TO has, but they have heart. Heart is an underrated attribute. Heart makes others around you play harder. Heart helps morale. Heart keeps you in games that should have been lost.

Watch Driver and Jennings. They never give up. They keep fighting until the end. They have no need to be a superstar. They just want their team to win the game.

Driver smiles really big when his fellow WR catches a TD pass. He doesn't care so much about his own stats. He's happy for you. He doesn't have to be in the spotlight every game. He only has 2 TD catches this year, but you know what? I guarantee you he's happier now than he's ever been playing. It's because the TEAM is winning.

This is one of the reasons we can have the Big-5 and it works so well. The Big-5 is bad for individual WR stats. Really bad. You spread the ball around and not one player will rack up elite stats. You need some serious team-oriented WRs for Big-5 to work, and that's what the Packers have.

I wouldn't trade Driver or Jennings for TO, ever. The Cows can have TO. I'm happy with what we have - a TEAM.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I still don't think it would hurt to ensure Jess is at the final 2 Dallas games. :lol:

Distract poor ol Romo a little ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Back to thread... absolutely it only makes sense for the Packers to worry about the Bears and Lions at this point.. 3 more important weeks of football to play... then the Pack will have to worry about 1 of 4 teams after that.. Seachicks, bucs, the Giants or ??? whomever wins the final wild card.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm getting completely giddy thinking of us stealing HF from under the Boys' noses. I can't help it. Forget all that jazz of talking about the Cowboys being fruitless. Bozz is right, our focus affects the team's focus by exactly zero.

I think the girls will slip up, and I could care less about when or if we see them again this year. I just want the road to Arizona going through Lambeau. You KNOW if Favre is playing in his backyard for a SB berth in what he may decide is his final year, he aint losin.

Home Field Advantage = Guaran-damn-teed trip to the Super Bowl.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Must be on everyone's minds.. but the 'tude of the team sounds about right.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/262458

Packers: Bye-product of success

By JASON WILDE

ST. LOUIS — It wasn't pretty.

Oh, we're not talking about the Green Bay Packers' 33-14 victory over the St. Louis Rams Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome.

While the win certainly wasn't a work of art, certain moments (Greg Jennings' game-breaking, 44-yard touchdown catch; Brett Favre surpassing Dan Marino's NFL record for career passing yards) and certainly the end result (clinching a first-round playoff bye) were things of beauty.

No, what was truly ugly was what happened after the game, in the far back corner of the visitors' locker room: Guard Jason Spitz — clad only in a towel — bursting into post-shower song.

"Takin' care of business ...," Spitz sang to no one in particular, after overhearing a question to veteran right tackle Mark Tauscher — the closest, most unfortunate observer of Spitz's act. "We're takin' care of business ..."

But what Spitz's Bachman Turner Overdrive karaoke falsetto lacked in melody and choreography, it made up for in accuracy.

It's been the Packers' mantra all season long, and it's exactly what they did again Sunday.

"We didn't play our best game of the year, but these games where you plug along and get the victory — and put yourself in position to have a home (playoff) game and a first-round bye — that's huge," Tauscher said, referring to how the Packers were outgained (364-279) and committed their second-most turnovers (three) in a game this season.

Added Packers coach Mike McCarthy: "We're a good football team, we're a focused football team and we have kept our eye on the target. We need to continue to."

That's because, while the Packers (12-2) went to St. Louis (3-11) and beat a lesser team with a losing record to keep their NFC postseason momentum rolling, the Seattle Seahawks and Dallas Cowboys had their chances to do the same thing Sunday — the Seahawks at Carolina and the Cowboys at home against Philadelphia — and failed.

First, the 9-5 NFC West-champion Seahawks fell to the 6-8 Panthers, 13-10, meaning Green Bay will play at Lambeau Field Jan. 12 or 13 in the NFC divisional round.

Then, 12-2 Dallas fell to the 6-8 Eagles, 10-6, meaning the Packers can gain the NFC's No. 1 seed and home-field advantage throughout the playoffs if they win their final two games (at 5-8 Chicago next week, at home against 6-8 Detroit on Dec. 30) and the Cowboys lose one of their remaining games (at Carolina and at Washington, which was 6-7 heading into Sunday night's game).

"That whole 'You're supposed to' is overrated. Everybody can play in this league," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said. "If you have a couple turnovers and the other team plays well, you're going to get beat. But I think our team has taken the approach of, 'This is our job. Let's be professional, let's be a machine, let's do what we're supposed to do.' And for the most part, we did that. We kicked it around a little today (with the three turnovers), but it's hard to win as many games as we've won this year. It's a tough league."

So while Dallas still holds the head-to-head tiebreaker over the Packers by virtue of its Nov. 29 victory, who knows what'll happen if the Packers keep this businesslike approach going?

"We made things happen when we needed to. That's what you have to do," Packers cornerback Charles Woodson said. "No disrespect to the Rams or anybody we played this year, but we were a better team than them, and we're supposed to win this game. And that's the difference: If we would've come down here and lost this game, then it's back to the drawing board. Seattle, for them to drop a game against a team they should beat, maybe the focus isn't there, or you think the game is over before you even play. When you're a good team, you play better when you have to, and we did."

Not early on, when Steven Jackson (143 yards rushing) kept the Rams in it, and his 46-yard touchdown midway through the second quarter tied the game at 14-14. But after Packers rookie kicker Mason Crosby hit a pair of field goals — one just before halftime, one just after — Favre and Jennings broke the game open when the Rams gambled with an all-out blitz and lost.

In the shotgun in a four-receiver, one-back set, Favre saw the Rams were bringing the house and knew he had to unload quickly. When safety Oshiomogho Atogwe and cornerback Ron Bartell covered Donald Driver on a shallow cross, Jennings was so open he could've fair-caught Favre's arching pass at the 10-yard line.

"It seemed like it took forever to get there," Jennings said. "Atogwe was (supposed to be) covering me, but he tried to jump the underneath route, for whatever reason, and left me streaking down the middle of the field."

Said Rams coach Scott Linehan: "Obviously, you can't do that."

On his next pass, Favre hit Driver for 7 yards on a slant, breaking Marino's career record of 61,361 passing yards. Favre now owns every significant quarterback record.

"I'm tickled to death that I've had a chance to break these records and be a part of a lot of wonderful things," said Favre, who threw six interceptions in an NFC divisional playoff game here after the 2001 season and also lost the team's last regular-season visit in 2003. "But there's nothing like standing here today with this win after some of the games I've had to stand up here before and face some questions about how bad I played and our team played. The most important thing is we won."

And as a result, the Packers will have a playoff bye for the first time since 1997 — their last trip to the Super Bowl.

"To get a week off is great, and the good thing about it is you know you only have two games to get to the big show," Driver said. "Now we just have to make sure we do what we do."

Members online

Latest posts