Pack is observer in race for Turner by PG's T Pelissero

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack is interested observers in race for Turner By PG T Pelissera

By Tom Pelissero
[email protected]

The Packers haven't entered the Michael Turner sweepstakes, but where San Diego's backup running back lands could determine whether another veteran ends up in Green Bay.

Turner, a restricted free agent, was in Tennessee on Monday to visit one of several teams that have inquired about signing him or trading for him.

The Packers aren't one of those teams, Turner's agent, Bus Cook, said Monday afternoon.

But a deal with Tennessee could pave the way to Green Bay for free agent Chris Brown, who was close to a deal to return to the Titans before the team set up visits this week with Turner and Corey Dillon.

"Obviously, the (zone) blocking scheme up there (in Green Bay) fits Chris' style," Ryan Morgan, one of Brown's agents, said Monday afternoon.

"He's a big back, but he's also pretty explosive and has got pretty good wheels. He can make that (first) cut and go."

Like the Titans, who released Travis Henry in the offseason, the Packers need a starting running back because Ahman Green bolted for the Houston Texans. Turner, 25, is the biggest name left on the market.

A former fifth-round draft pick who has 941 yards rushing in three seasons playing behind NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson, Turner received a one-year, $2.35 million tender from San Diego, meaning any team that signs him would owe the Chargers first- and third-round draft picks. But San Diego is believed to be willing to deal Turner for less — perhaps a second-round pick and a player — because he will be an unrestricted free agent after the 2007 season.

"I have to believe Turner will be dealt before the draft. San Diego is right on the verge (of a Super Bowl run)," said agent Doug Hendrickson, who represents another free-agent back, Kevan Barlow.

"Could they play it safe in case something happens to (Tomlinson)? Yeah. But if you have a chance to get value and fill another need (through a trade), you can find another back in the middle rounds to replace (Turner)."

Still, the Packers have shown little or no interest. They're believed to be sizing up the top backs in the draft — Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson and California's Marshawn Lynch are considered first-round locks — and maintained publicly that they're comfortable with starter-by-default Vernand Morency.

It seems they've also kept an eye on Brown — Morgan said he has had a number of discussions with members of the Packers' personnel department, most recently last week — who continues to draw interest from the Buffalo Bills and two other teams Morgan wouldn't name.

Buffalo and the New York Jets reportedly are interested in Turner as well.

Brown, 25, rushed for a combined 1,918 yards for the Titans in 2004 and '05 — including 148 yards and two touchdowns in a 48-27 Titans win in 2004 at Lambeau Field. But he battled injuries and totaled only 156 yards in five games last season. He is dividing his offseason training between Tennessee and Chicago, Morgan said, adding his client will be flexible about contract terms if he can compete for a starting job.

"We're not putting any time restraints on it," Morgan said. "We want to make sure the deal we do is the right deal."

Hendrickson said he hasn't heard anything from the Packers about Barlow, 28, since preliminary talks last month. Buffalo, Tennessee and the Indianapolis Colts remain in the picture, Hendrickson said.

Dillon, 32, reportedly will fly to Tennessee today and visit with Titans officials on Wednesday.

Press-Gazette reporter Pete Dougherty contributed to this report.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I would imagine that some TT apologist will say something to the effect that we're as well off with Chris Brown as with Turner. If TT signs Brown, he will naturally mouth some of the same crap. It would tend to cover up his complete failure to strengthen the team in FA. "Doing his homework" (i.e. denial to falling asleep during FA) does NOT equate to getting something positive done. Frankly, I think the guy is more comfortable in the draft because if a player bombs, people will always excuse it because "the draft is just a crap-shoot." It's a lot scarier to sign a FA because your reputation would suffer if HE bombs. If he just depends on the draft to get us into the playoffs, he's in for a rude awakening. Very few players, especially those in "skill" positions blossom in the first or even the second year. I guess you can tell that I've lost patience with him. But then, any player he picks up now will only be a warm body.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Now I would imagine that some TT apologist will say something to the effect that we're as well off with Chris Brown as with Turner. If TT signs Brown, he will naturally mouth some of the same crap. It would tend to cover up his complete failure to strengthen the team in FA. "Doing his homework" (i.e. denial to falling asleep during FA) does NOT equate to getting something positive done.

:whippin:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I rather have Lynch than Turner to be honest. Mostly because the Chargers asking price is to high on Turner and to be real he has started only one game in his NFL Career. We're not missing out on Barry Sanders but his potential is high.

Chris Brown I would not mind but not as a starter. More so a change of pace back or at least someone that can come in and compete.

He is rather big. Perhaps the Pack could move him to FB but that's doubtful in my opinion.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I rather have Lynch than Turner to be honest. Mostly because the Chargers asking price is to high on Turner and to be real he has started only one game in his NFL Career. We're not missing out on Barry Sanders but his potential is high.

Chris Brown I would not mind but not as a starter. More so a change of pace back or at least someone that can come in and compete.

He is rather big. Perhaps the Pack could move him to FB but that's doubtful in my opinion.

Wow, you would rather have Lynch than Turner? I am trying to figure out the benefit of Lynch over Turner, but am struggling. Turner may have only played sparingly but when he did he didn't only compile a bunch of yards but broke tackles left and right and showed his speed.

Turners showed his stuff in the NFL. Lynch has not.

Why would you take Lynch over Turner?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
porky88 said:
I rather have Lynch than Turner to be honest. Mostly because the Chargers asking price is to high on Turner We're not missing out on Barry Sanders but his potential is high.

Wow, you would rather have Lynch than Turner? I am trying to figure out the benefit of Lynch over Turner, but am struggling. Turner may have only played sparingly but when he did he didn't only compile a bunch of yards but broke tackles left and right and showed his speed.

Prob just cuz of the asking price??

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
porky88 said:
I rather have Lynch than Turner to be honest. Mostly because the Chargers asking price is to high on Turner We're not missing out on Barry Sanders but his potential is high.

Prob just cuz of the asking price??

At first I thought hell no to a 1st and a 3rd but I am warming to the idea. I would be nice if we could swap with SD in the 3rd. Give us Turner and the 93 for our 16th and the 78th.

I would love to see Turner here and think that would solve one of our biggest dilemmas. I am not a fan of Lynch in our scheme and don't think he provides much on blitz pickup. Not to mention the personal issues and suspect speed.

I don't like Peterson running style, either. You would basically be giving up Lynch for Turner and swapping in the 3rd. I would pull the trigger.

Reaction score
ZB scheme calls for a RB that is quick more than fast. Morency fits that bill, and so does Brown. Not sure why we'd want Chris Brown given that he is like a bigger version of Morency.

I must say though, Brown at FB is a really interesting proposition. I wonder if he has the potential to improve his blocking...

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I rather have Lynch than Turner

i really dont think so what if lynch turns out to be a right flop at least we know what turner can do

Also i would like to see us go after dillion i think he has somthing to prove and would be good in a 2 maybe 3 combo punch at RB

i also think we will take a chance and draft a FB not go after 1 in f.a

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
ZB scheme calls for a RB that is quick more than fast. Morency fits that bill, and so does Brown. Not sure why we'd want Chris Brown given that he is like a bigger version of Morency.

I must say though, Brown at FB is a really interesting proposition. I wonder if he has the potential to improve his blocking...

I hear this alot but it's somewhat of a cloudy subject. The ZBS doesn't have a prototypical back. The only requirment is that the guy is patient and can wait for the hole to develop. You have to be QUICK to hit the hole when it does come open. If it doesn't you need to cut back to the off-side.

Fast or slow really doesn't matter EXCEPT the fast guy will have an obvious advantage when it comes to cutting back. Thats where the big plays in the ZBS come from. Power is nice when you burst through the hole as well.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ZBS requires a one cut runner, and apparently Turner is not that based on comments on football sights. Why sacrafice a 1 and 3 when you have a great chance of landing Lynch, who apparently is perfecly suited for the ZBS and WCO.

Rookie running backs make big impacts every year in this league...it is the easiest position to step in as a rookie and make a difference....plus you save the 3rd rounder and cash to resign our own up-and-comiong players.

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes but lynch could turn out to be a flop we know hes good in collage but its a big differance we could be stuck with a 1st flop (Ahmad Carroll or the 1st around de that denver just cut)

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Turner could also turn out to be a flop, it depends on where he goes and if he fits in.

The FA is pretty much a crapshot as well, how many big FAs have signed big contracts and flopped.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ZBS requires a one cut runner, and apparently Turner is not that based on comments on football sights. Why sacrafice a 1 and 3 when you have a great chance of landing Lynch, who apparently is perfecly suited for the ZBS and WCO.

Rookie running backs make big impacts every year in this league...it is the easiest position to step in as a rookie and make a difference....plus you save the 3rd rounder and cash to resign our own up-and-comiong players.

I don't agree with this at all. First off Lynch dances more than any RB in the draft. Turner has the speed and power and fits the scheme better in my opinion. Turner is at least somewhat proven, whereas Lynch is a toss up.

There were certain RB's that step up the first year but there are plenty who don't. I think it is the execption and not the norm.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every pick is a crap shoot...that is why GMs do their homework.

I just want to remind everyone that we won the SB with two very decent, yet unspectacular, RBs in Bennett and Levens. The key is that they fit what we did schematically. While it is nice to have an all world RB, it is not necessary to have success.

From my perspective, TT does a good job of bringing people in who fit what we do...maybe not the sexiest names available, but they mesh with the scheme. Don't get me wrong...I recognize Turner's immense potential. Would I like him? Sure....but not for a 1 and 3...or whatever high price will be paid for his services. In the end, winners are built through the draft, and put over the top with select FAs when the time is right. We are not there yet, IMHO.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

I hear this alot but it's somewhat of a cloudy subject. The ZBS doesn't have a prototypical back. The only requirment is that the guy is patient and can wait for the hole to develop. You have to be QUICK to hit the hole when it does come open. If it doesn't you need to cut back to the off-side.

Fast or slow really doesn't matter EXCEPT the fast guy will have an obvious advantage when it comes to cutting back. Thats where the big plays in the ZBS come from. Power is nice when you burst through the hole as well.

I agree with this.

RB's in general are taught to take a handoff and run like hell as fast as they can and build up as much speed and power as they can and hit the #4 hole or the #3 hole or whatever. It's up to the line to have hole there to run thru.
The ZB system tests BOTH the FB and the RB to "see" a seam open and then hit it. The RB then has to have the instincts to cut back if the hole closes because that usually means a backside lineman has closed which opens it up for a cutback.

Because the RB is "cruising" the first few steps and waiting for a seam to open up they need to have the natural physical ability to get wide open fast once they commit. They need that burst.

The RB MUST have patience, vision, a burst of speed, and a lot of faith in the FB and the system.

The NEAT part about all this is the prototype RB and "0" lineman sought by most teams is not the guy for this system. That's why teams can generally find a RB later in the draft who fits it to a "T".

I like the kid from Ohio ST. He's smart, has a better burst than I thought when I saw it against Florida, and he's played for a winner. He was the ONLY Buckeye I saw that could play with Florida that day.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Digs on this. Turner may be great, but he's not worth the $ or the first and third round picks.

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN's Take:
I agree with last nights "On The Clock" on sportscenter....They said Lynch has the ability to be a good back and with our current situation that we have to get him, unless we sign an RB.....However, the best thing for the packers to do would be to deal for a good RB that can step in and play right away, and to take Greg Olsen with the 16th pick....It would give brett another weapon and make the packers a better team adressing both needs.....

My Take:
The best senario is to bring in Brown or Turner and then take
Olsen. It would put us right back into the mix of things. But If we are seriously thinking of drafting a top RB, I say we trade up with picks and take Adrian Peterson. If we are goin to take a RB in the draft we might as well take the best one, we have plenty of money to pay him....Either way if we take a RB we lose Olsen, might as well Make it worth while.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:

I don't agree with this at all. First off Lynch dances more than any RB in the draft. Turner has the speed and power and fits the scheme better in my opinion. Turner is at least somewhat proven, whereas Lynch is a toss up.

There were certain RB's that step up the first year but there are plenty who don't. I think it is the execption and not the norm.

What has Turner proven in his career? That he can mop up for Ladainian Tomlinson or come in when LT needs to take a break? He's started one game in three years and his highest season carry total is 80 coming this past season. He's on a team where he's not the focus of the offense and probably isn't part of the Defense's game plan to stop the offense.

Turner could be Lamont Jordan or Chester Taylor. Would you give up a 1st and 3rd for that? I wouldn't. If Turner was in the Draft and Lynch was in Turner’s spot then I'd gladly take Turner at 16. Asking price of San Diego is to much for the Matt Schaub of running backs.

Lynch is a better fit for our offense than Turner. Now with good coaching I believe most backs can fit in the zone blocking scheme, including Michael Turner. However Lynch is also a better receiver out of the backfield and is more of a dual threat back which I think the Packers need because of the lack of playmakers in the passing game right now.

I personally believe Lynch has the potential to be a Pro Bowl caliber RB as does Turner. However neither of them are going to be the next Ladainian Tomlinson or Walter Payton in my opinion and while Turner has proven he can be a backup in the NFL, as a starter he is no more proven than Lynch or Adrian Peterson.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porky, you may have something here because it's not like Turner has played a lot during the meaningful part of games that have not already been decided.

It's a lot easier to gain yards in the 4th quarter when the games out of reach and the defense is gasping for air and ready to go home. I haven't really thought of it this way but we HAVE seen Ahman Green get a lot of late game yards that were not there early on.

HMMMMMM. Interesting.

I have said I have been warming up to what Lynch brings but am still not sold on the fact we have to pay a 16th pick price for a RB. That's why swapping picks with SD and still ending up with a first round pick is still more appealing to me.

A lot of scouts certainly feel he's the real deal as well.

But you bring up good points on Turner. I know you have been Lynch over Turner from the get go. I'm starting to see why a little more.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
digsthepack said:

What has Turner proven in his career? That he can mop up for Ladainian Tomlinson or come in when LT needs to take a break? He's started one game in three years and his highest season carry total is 80 coming this past season. He's on a team where he's not the focus of the offense and probably isn't part of the Defense's game plan to stop the offense.

Turner could be Lamont Jordan or Chester Taylor. Would you give up a 1st and 3rd for that? I wouldn't. If Turner was in the Draft and Lynch was in Turner’s spot then I'd gladly take Turner at 16. Asking price of San Diego is to much for the Matt Schaub of running backs.

Lynch is a better fit for our offense than Turner. Now with good coaching I believe most backs can fit in the zone blocking scheme, including Michael Turner. However Lynch is also a better receiver out of the backfield and is more of a dual threat back which I think the Packers need because of the lack of playmakers in the passing game right now.

I personally believe Lynch has the potential to be a Pro Bowl caliber RB as does Turner. However neither of them are going to be the next Ladainian Tomlinson or Walter Payton in my opinion and while Turner has proven he can be a backup in the NFL, as a starter he is no more proven than Lynch or Adrian Peterson.

I understand you being reluctant on giving up a first and third for Turner. What I don't quite understand is alot of the other stuff that you are stating.

Turner is a back-up......to the best damn back in the NFL. I don't think Lynch would supplant LT anytime soon either. Saying he is a back-up as a knock on him is only telling half the story. It's not like he is backing up LaMont Jordan.

Secondly, Turner is unproven and could be Chester Taylor or LaMont Jordan, then again Lynch could be Curtis Enis or William Green.

Another thing I am struggling with is why you think Lynch is a better fit in the ZBS. I don't think Lynch is a terrible fit but I think Turner would fit better. I don't like Lynch's speed and his desire to bounce everything outside prematurely in a ZBS could make for some happy feet. He does hit the hole well when he decides to do it.

As far as hands I don't know what you are basing your statement on. Lynch is definitely not Marshall Faulk and has struggled at times handling simple pitches. Honestly, neither have the surefire hands and are poor route runners, though I'm basing Turners on his college career as he hasn't had alot of oppurtunities in the pros.

I don't dislike Lynch, but I do have questions about him. Suspect Speed, Personal Issues, A little to much dancing, etc, make me a little weary.

I don't have those issues with Turner. I can understand not wanting to give up what SD wants for him but If GB could trade a first and third for Turner and SD's third I would pull the trigger.

You are basically trading Lynch for Turner and moving down 14 spots in the 3rd. To me Turner has shown enough to lose 14 positions in the 3rd round.

DeusNova

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Turner hasn't been truly tested as a full time starter, so it's a gamble to make a trade with SD considering the asking price.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts