Pack brings in CJ Spiller for visit

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Love this! A pass catching RB is what we need. Kind of to take over what we're missing without Kuhn on 3rd and short (or 4 and 1 because Starks is not the anwser there!)

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Their problem on offense is not the damn RBs. Lacy and starks have been doing fine then they get pulled for no reason. Our issue is Aaron being scared and trying to make splash plays all the time. Our issue is having Adams be the #3 WR and not giving the others an opportunity. What happened to lining up 4 receivers? What happened to stop being so damn predictable? Our punter sucked badly and where are the other guys being brought for try out? They seriously need to get their priorities straight

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dumb, seems like mm and Ted are reaching. Eddie has been running the ball fine, Starks barely have had any touches create a identity and stop with the non-sense just my opinion.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spiller brings a whole new dynamic some of you doubters are missing though. He can literally line up all over the offense. He is a elite pass catcher out of the backfield and can run WR-type routes. Him and Lacy being on field at same time isn't out of the question too.

So if cheap, once again, I say why not.

OP
OP
Vince Lombardi

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe they'd stop putting Cobb in the backfield if they had a true pass catching back. Spiller would not be brought in to take over for Lacy or Starks. He'd be a true 3rd down back. I'd have no problem with this move.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
take a look sure, but he isn't the missing piece, and besides, he's a man without a team for a reason

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
If he still has the goods or close too it then sign em. I'm tired of Cobb in backield.

It seems every time were on the road and in a little trouble MM reverts to "Cobb in backfield." It doesn't seem to be working all that well. Maybe Spiller can add a home run threat out of backfield.

"Thunder and Lightning"

Last edited:

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked this kid when he came out of Clemson. I haven't followed him much in the pros but I believe he had a couple of good years in Buffalo. As has been mentioned he's a good receiver out of the backfield and he provides a little more speed than we get out of Lacy and Starks. Certainly worth a look.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Their problem on offense is not the damn RBs. Lacy and starks have been doing fine then they get pulled for no reason. Our issue is Aaron being scared and trying to make splash plays all the time. Our issue is having Adams be the #3 WR and not giving the others an opportunity. What happened to lining up 4 receivers? What happened to stop being so damn predictable? Our punter sucked badly and where are the other guys being brought for try out? They seriously need to get their priorities straight
Running the ball fine? What is your definition of fine?

Lacy ran it for 14/61 against Jacksonville. Take one 28 yard run out of that equation and he ran for 13/33. That's less than three yards a darn carry. Starks in that game 4/7.

Against Minnesota, Lacy had a 13 yard run. Eliminate that, and he ran for 11/37. A little over three yards per carry. Starks, 7 carries for 3 yards.

The failure of either guy to get yards on first down consistently put Rodgers in 2nd and 3rd and long situations, which set the stage for Zimmer to tee off on Rodgers knowing that he was in an obvious passing down.

I'm not sure what game you are watching, or what statistics you are looking at, but to suggest that they have been doing "fine" is a bit of a stretch if you ask me. This offense has more problems than just passing the ball. Sure, the final stats say "oh Lacy averaged over 4 yards a carry in both games", while reality states that on more plays than not, he simply hasn't been a yard gaining producer.

I will agree with you though that the offense is a bit predictable. I liked it when we opened the 3rd quarter in double tight end sets. Definitely would like to see more of that.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Running the ball fine? What is your definition of fine?

Lacy ran it for 14/61 against Jacksonville. Take one 28 yard run out of that equation and he ran for 13/33. That's less than three yards a darn carry. Starks in that game 4/7.

Against Minnesota, Lacy had a 13 yard run. Eliminate that, and he ran for 11/37. A little over three yards per carry. Starks, 7 carries for 3 yards.

The failure of either guy to get yards on first down consistently put Rodgers in 2nd and 3rd and long situations, which set the stage for Zimmer to tee off on Rodgers knowing that he was in an obvious passing down.

I'm not sure what game you are watching, or what statistics you are looking at, but to suggest that they have been doing "fine" is a bit of a stretch if you ask me. This offense has more problems than just passing the ball. Sure, the final stats say "oh Lacy averaged over 4 yards a carry in both games", while reality states that on more plays than not, he simply hasn't been a yard gaining producer.

I will agree with you though that the offense is a bit predictable. I liked it when we opened the 3rd quarter in double tight end sets. Definitely would like to see more of that.
While I don't disagree that they couldn't be better. But that could be said about many positions. What I meant is that RB is the least of their problems on offense right now. Now the way they utilize lacy is ridiculous. The toss plays, having Rodgers line up at shotgun and Lacy next to him or those dumb stretch plays. He is a downhill runner and he is put in situation that are not using him at his best. Also, as soon as he gets any momentum he gets pulled for no reason or they abandon the running game.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Cobb isn't a running back.
While I don't disagree that they couldn't be better. But that could be said about many positions. What I meant is that RB is the least of their problems on offense right now. Now the way they utilize lacy is ridiculous. The toss plays, having Rodgers line up at shotgun and Lacy next to him or those dumb stretch plays. He is a downhill runner and he is put in situation that are not using him at his best. Also, as soon as he gets any momentum he gets pulled for no reason or they abandon the running game.

I've been saying this for awhile. Need to keep Lacy moving north and south. All these sideways plays are ridiculous and just doesn't suit his attributes.

They get some positive yards on those type plays against the likes of the Bears and Bucs and it's like it gives MM ammunition to hold on to them closely to heart.

There total waisted plays over 90 percent of the time.

If they wanted to run "stretch plays" they should of drafted Kenyan Drake.

Last edited:

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love this! A pass catching RB is what we need. Kind of to take over what we're missing without Kuhn on 3rd and short (or 4 and 1 because Starks is not the anwser there!)

What about Ripkowski, Lacy, or both. Spiller is washed up, trust me.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not seeing Spiller here. Likely got invited, and he is using it to churn interest from one of several teams who need a starting/ split time RB after this weekend. I see SD, Car, or another team having a visit after us, and whatever interest we showed/ didnt show being used to secure a decent contract there.

He would be a 3rd back in our rotation, and we all know we would be near if not at the bottom $$$wise on what we would offer him.

I would like his versatility at KR/ PR, but have little interest at RB.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Agreed on the utilization of the running game. And my intent wasn't necessarily to trash Lacy or Starks the player, but no matter how you explain it or slice it, you have to understand the effect that a poor running game has on the passing game.

Like I said, this offense has many, many problems right now. And in my opinion, we should all be less worried about the 2x MVP getting it together as opposed to all of the parts around him. A better running game, better pass blocking, and receivers gaining separation will fix Aaron's issues. That much I am 100% confident in. Along with obviously continuing to gel together since McCarthy's feels like there isn't any issue with Rodgers only playing 2 series in the preseason.

Again, TWO series. What exactly does everyone expect from this offense right now? It's going to take time.

Members online

Latest posts