Pack and BJ close to1 year deal

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sincerely hope he spurns the offer.
He ain't worth that kind of money.
I will be shocked if the Packers actually do sign him to that offer.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

He may not be worh THAT much, but when he has the proper supporting DL around him, they all make each other better. One guy alone can't be held responsible for stuffing the run....

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

why? after seeing what Brad Jones got nothing comes to a shock. Raji imo is best suited for NT. I don't think he's flourished at DE as much as they planned. I think his skillset is that of a nose tackle so put him there and keep him there.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why? after seeing what Brad Jones got nothing comes to a shock. Raji imo is best suited for NT. I don't think he's flourished at DE as much as they planned. I think his skillset is that of a nose tackle so put him there and keep him there.

They played him at NT all of 2011 and he was TERRIBLE. It's why they moved him to DE. Last year he was actually good at DE. This year he just sseems disinterested.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He may not be worh THAT much, but when he has the proper supporting DL around him, they all make each other better. One guy alone can't be held responsible for stuffing the run....

For a guy that's supposedly a good player, I saw a lot of Raji being blocked by one olineman yesterday. I might be crazy but a guy that's making $8mn per year should do more than lean on a guy most of the game.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a guy that's supposedly a good player, I saw a lot of Raji being blocked by one olineman yesterday. I might be crazy but a guy that's making $8mn per year should do more than lean on a guy most of the game.

Yea i kept yelling at Raji through the tv to make a play. Minnesota ran the ball down there throats big time and they didn't run away from Raji.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have a point regarding Brad Jones but I'm not sure Raji has a skillset besides taking up space.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been screaming for the last year to please just let Raji walk and don't waste that kind of money. And the only retort I ever really hear is "he clogs up the middle".

What exactly was he clogging up yesterday that makes him worth $8M? Can a Raji supporter please explain?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been screaming for the last year to please just let Raji walk and don't waste that kind of money. And the only retort I ever really hear is "he clogs up the middle".

What exactly was he clogging up yesterday that makes him worth $8M? Can a Raji supporter please explain?

I agree. I like Raji but dang 8 mil is alot of money just because a guy is fat ha. He shows flashes and i still think Raji is to good to be just a guy but he's got to pick his game up. Theres more to being a 3-4 d-end then just eating up blockers..in all honesty that's really the NT's job. I would like to see TT draft a guy that can be the guy that Dhaytone Jones isn't and see Raji moved back to NT. If we had a player of JJ watts caliber on our d-line with Matthews on the other side? Whew.. this defense would be a lot better. I think we take a safety in the 1st round but DE has to again be another high draft pick.

Stevie DK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
8 mil is what Wilfork gets, he's 32 and Raji 27, Raji should be in he's prime, but I would take Wilfork any time any day.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are offering these guys who are not performing or are always injured chunks of money. IMO the guy who took the paycht should've been the one with more money thrown his way. Hawk is out performing everyone on defense right now. Yet Tramon has all this money to be allowing big plays and always trailing guys. Raji has done ok, but not worth 8 mil. I say 4mil max for him. And I know I'll get **** for this one. But Mathews is constantly getting hurt. He does us no good on the sidelines. He recently has been missing 4 games a season

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is he hurt? Have not seen him or heard his name called in the last few weeks. No wonder we are giving up so much rushing yards. He is not in there to clog the middle. HAHAHAHA!!!

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RajI and Pickett both have gotten their ***** kicked these past few weeks. Hell, even Jolly hasn't done anything noteworthy. Play Boyd and see what he can do in a lost season..

H

HardRightEdge

Starting with the second half of the Bears game, Raji has 1 tackle...over 4 1/2 games.

At that rate, we want to pay him $2.25 million per tackle. I don't think so.

Our new defensive motto should be, "Just trip somebody".

Hjalmar Davidson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big men who can move like Raji are not easy to get. I dont tink we should overpay for him though. $8 mil seems high to me. I think we can live without him. Bring back Jolly, Worthy, Jones, and Daniels and draft fresh meat. If $8 mil isnt enough then adios to ya.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is playing himself right out of a contract. I'd be stunned if $8M a year is on the table for him right now.

I'm curious as to how that offer was constructed to Raji for him to turn down $8M. I would have to think that it was either heavily backloaded with little signing bonus money with design to get out of it early, or a short "prove it" type deal that the Packers could easily get out of if Raji didn't earn the $8M next year.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen this ability to "move" really having any positive influence for us on defense the last 5 weeks. He's getting very good at playing Patty-Cake with opposing offensive guards, however.

H

HardRightEdge

Watching the ATL game replay, I made a point of rewinding each play to see what Raji was doing.

I did not take a snap count, but I'd guess he was out there for about 40 of ATL's 59 snaps. I believe he played every base snap, at RDE about 75% of the time, LDE for a few snaps and one snap at NT. He was in the nickel pass rush rotation with a fair number of snaps there. Here are my observations:

In about 2/3 of his snaps in a combination of base and nickel, run and pass, Raji was one-on-one with ATL's LG #63, Justin Blaylock, a decent player but no Pro Bowler. Raji was beaten on every one of those snaps, and Blaylock did not look like he was working that hard at it. In the first possession alone, Blaylock spun him around on a 4 yard gain and knocked him on his keester for an 8 yard gain on runs right at him. In the subsequent possession, Blalock put him on his knees where he was able to clog the hole so Jolly could make the tackle from the backside. I believe that was Raji's one assist. If one wanted to make the case that Raji got the better of Blaylock at least once, that's the closest play you'll find.

Raji was so ineffective in the passing game, by the 4th. quarter Blalock twice passed him off to the center to move out and double team Matthews off the edge. The center had no problem with him either. In case anybody's wondering, it looked like Daniels was the D-Line guy ATL targeted most often for double teams in the pass game.

As for this drawing double teams / clogging holes stuff we hear so much about, ATL certainly did not find it necessary and they were right. I saw only one clear run double team, that being in the 4th quarter where Raji had flipped sides to the LDE working against a familiar name, Konz at RG (evidently playing out of his regular position) together with the RT.

That's it...one run double team. I counted 2 pass double teams in the second half. It is unclear why ATL bothered.

Other than those 3 plays the closest things to double teams were (1) a pass rush where the center chipped in to help Blalock who didn't need it; the C was just looking for work, (2) two linemen might have been diving at Raji's feet on the goal line play action TD pass, but who can tell without the end zone shot (besides, that's what's done on the goal line regardless of who's in there) and (3) a play where Blalock passed Raji off to the RT away from the play to get out in front of a screen on the opposite side (calling that a double team would be stretch, but at least ATL had enough respect to put the OT on him to shut off Raji's back side pursuit).

Raji made one play in this game...he beat the RG, possible Konz but I did not catch the number, with an inside rush move to get a hit on Ryan resulting in an incompletion.

That's it.

In fact, Raji was not on the field in the final series of ATL's second to last possession where we stopped them, resulting in the missed 52 yarder. Raji was not on the field for the final two plays of ATL's final possession.

As far as I'm concerned, this is typical Raji play since the 2nd. half of the Bears game and, quite frankly, for a good part of the last 3 seasons.

I wouldn't pay him anything. You can't give him a typical $8 million/year deal because he's clearly nowhere near worth it. You can't give him a number significantly below that, because even if he took it (which he won't), he'll be both underachieving and pissed off.

Mark this down...Raji will not be on this team in 2014. Somebody will pay him more than he's worth and it won't be us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts