Pack and BJ close to1 year deal

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...him-long-term-deal-b99143128z1-232226061.html

Green Bay — Defensive lineman B.J. Raji has been offered a long-term contract worth $8 million a year.

A source said agent David Dunn, who also represents Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews, received that offer from the Green Bay Packers several months ago.

Dunn, acting on behalf of Raji, has turned it down more than once in ongoing talks with team negotiator Russ Ball.

An executive high up in personnel for an NFL team was asked, given the market forecast for 2014 and beyond, if Raji should take the $8 million.

"Damn right he should," the scout said. "For $8 million he should be signing. Who is his agent?"

Another high-ranking personnel chief thought it would be a no-brainer for Raji.

"I would take it if I was him," the personnel director said. "Why? I'm with an organization I know and love. I'm probably not going to get that good a deal in the open market. My skill set is perfect for that defense. I'm very familiar with the defense."

It's quite possible that Dunn and Raji are using the five-year extension Cincinnati gave to defensive tackle Geno Atkins in September that pushed his average pay to $10.67 million and guaranteed him $15 million.

The difference is that Atkins is a great pass rusher, the Bengals had to allocate cap room to reach CBA spending minimums and Andy Dalton, their quarterback, hasn't been paid yet.

BJ, dont pull a Jennings...

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Age 27, still young enough.

If Raji and his agent don't accept 8 mil, say bye bye and resign Pickett to the 1-year deal and draft a NT.

Louis Dix and Daniel McCullers are the two NTs most draftniks are talking about.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I admit I would want more money as well but at the same time when your on a team that has a chance to make the playoffs yearly that should be taken into consideration. Take GJ & Bishop for example. Yes Bishop has remained quiet other than saying he wanted to play against the best but he still went there.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you give Raji 8 million per year I believe you have to let Pickett go and line Raji up as NT again after this year. Why pay a guy 8 million per year to grab guards on first and second down?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you give Raji 8 million per year I believe you have to let Pickett go and line Raji up as NT again after this year. Why pay a guy 8 million per year to grab guards on first and second down?
You pay him that much because taking up two OL on every play is an important key to this defense. Doesn't rack up the **** stats like sacks, but he is playing better than most fans give him credit.

H

HardRightEdge

If the report is accurate, he already did. $8 mil per year is a gift given the level of performance these past 3 years.

As Trgovac is fond of saying, what we do on the defensive line is not complicated. An FA can plug-and-play at base 3-4 DE or NT easier than any other position on the field.

This is fear money...fear that Picket can't go another year, fear we don't have anybody coming up, fear that good-fit FA's won't want to come to Green Bay...the latter point an under-discussed element of TT's "reluctance" in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am surprised Raji hasn't accepted this deal. That's at the top of the pay schedule for DT's and his play really doesn't warrant top of the line cash. I think he's an under-appreciated player for the Packers. But, even though he plays his role well, the bottom line is the stats don't bear out a truly dominant player. So, this seems like a fair deal, if not a too rich deal. But, of course, if you're the agent, why accept the first offer? Push and see if you squeeze out a little more.

Also, this is the same agent as Claymaker and Rodgers. I wonder if his history of working out those deals factors into his decision to advise Raji to push for more. Maybe he knows more from those negotiations or has learned some tactics for negotiating on Raji's behalf.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree. He's played good but not great.
I would say he's played decent much of the time, "good" on occasion, "great" rarely (like the first half of the Bear's game), and lackluster at least as frequently as great. Pro Bowl money for merely reliable starter performance? I hope he sticks by his guns for more $ through FA and into the draft.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
At $8M/year BJ should not only be playing a lot in the 2 DL sub packages but consistently making some noise on those snaps, too. Or at least getting consistent pressure in base. But he hasn't been. The Packers have other DL like Daniels, Datone Jones, even Neal occasionally, and hopefully Worthy upon his return who serve as pass rushers in sub packages.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder who leaked these details.
Packers side, or Raji's side.
And I wonder, if true, why Raji's side would leak it.
It makes them look greedy, so......

Go Ravens.
Go Steelers.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions loose & we get a chance to move to 2nd since the bears won & we're blowing it

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji will be the next Greg Jennings. Turn down $8M a year and have to settle for $7M from an inferior team on the open market.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, this is the same agent as Claymaker and Rodgers. I wonder if his history of working out those deals factors into his decision to advise Raji to push for more. Maybe he knows more from those negotiations or has learned some tactics for negotiating on Raji's behalf.

I wonder if having agent David Dunn factored into the decision to offer Raji too much.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see why they offered B.J 8 million a year. Who else could they have in the middle to be completely ineffective and look silly while AP and Toby Gerhart shove it right down our throats?

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Raji isnt playing like a 8 million dollar man. If he doesnt accept cut him loose and draft a good NT in the draft.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually shocked that TT ever even made this offer. Overpaying for a lazy big man just isn't his M.O.

Members online

Latest posts