P.F.T.'s Florio Gives His Thoughts

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OUR TAKE? THOMPSON CARES ONLY ABOUT HIS JOB SECURITY
Posted by Mike Florio on July 12, 2008, 11:57 p.m.
I’ve taken a couple of days for some family time in the D.C. area, and MDS and the rest of the gang have been holding the fort down capably in my absence.

On Saturday, I was out of the loop for most of the day, but I was able to check the MDS updates from my Sprint device.

The item posted earlier in the day regarding the position of Packers G.M. Ted Thompson as to the potential return of quarterback Brett Favre caught my attention, because it confirmed conclusively my theory as to Thompson’s attitude toward Favre in 2008.

With a 2007 season that exceeded expectations so significantly that it yielded long-term extensions both for Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy, they both (I now firmly believe) concluded that the time has come to have the first Favre-free year.

It was inevitable that Favre would, at some point, not be a member of the organization. If Favre were to leave after a couple of mediocre seasons, a 5-11 record or worse in the first attempt post-Favre could have gotten people fired.

But with Favre “retiring” on the heels of a season that produced a high degree of job security for Thompson (and for McCarthy), both men could make it through a mediocre-or-worse season (or two . . . or three) with someone else calling the signals.

Favre’s attempt to return complicates matters, significantly. If the Packers tank in 2008, Thompson will be criticized for not allowing Favre to return as the starter. But Thompson also knows that, if he allows Favre to play for anyone else in 2008, and if Favre excels while Aaron Rodgers and/or Brian Brohm and/or Matt Flynn struggle, the decision not to re-embrace Favre could be enough to get Thompson fired.

And so the notion that the Packers would pay Favre a $12 million base salary to sit the bench behind Rodgers is all about Thompson trying to squeeze Favre to stay in Mississippi. Because Thompson knows that, if Favre pushes the issue and shows up for camp and is willing to hold a clipboard for $705,000 per week, Thompson will have to either delay the first post-Favre season to 2009 — or Thompson will have to let Favre go.

And so the best interests of the team, in our opinion, aren’t guiding Thompson. The best interests of the Packers, in the short term, point directly to re-installing Favre as the starter and trying to win the Super Bowl. The long-term best interests of the franchise arguably require getting another guy ready now, even if it means that the team doesn’t do as well as it otherwise could with Favre throwing the passes.

But if the franchise is willing to suffer a bit in the short term in order to get better even faster down the line, the franchise shouldn’t care about whether Favre plays for someone else in 2008 — and the franchise shouldn’t want to spend $12 million to keep it from happening.

So, as a practical matter, Thompson is simply controlling the potential P.R. consequences of his decision to suffer through the growing pains of football without Favre at a time when Favre still wants to play football.

Thus, Thompson’s current posture isn’t being driven by the best interests of anyone or anything othter than Thompson himself.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Florio nailed that bang on. Let's put this in perspective for a minute... TT has been notoriously cheap during the FA due to his opinion that quality FAs get overinflated contracts during the free agency period. Regardless as to whether that is true or not, Thompson has now publically done a financial about-face and offered Favre $12 million this season (and potentially the next 2 more) to hold a clipboard on the sidelines playing backup to Aaron Rodgers.

Nice to see you have some integrity in yor decision making, Ted. :roll:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow. Anyone who believes that is retarded.

You can say he's made bad moves, a lot of people do, but to say THAT'S why he's done them...dumb.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice to see that Trom (once again) backs up his worthless opinion with.... well, nothing! Truly this guy was a shining star on his high school debating team. *****.

TheEngineer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Florio nailed that bang on. Let's put this in perspective for a minute... TT has been notoriously cheap during the FA due to his opinion that quality FAs get overinflated contracts during the free agency period. Regardless as to whether that is true or not, Thompson has now publically done a financial about-face and offered Favre $12 million this season (and potentially the next 2 more) to hold a clipboard on the sidelines playing backup to Aaron Rodgers.

Nice to see you have some integrity in yor decision making, Ted. :roll:

You really believe, that in this current time of wishy washy tospy turvy ideas floating back and forth that the Packers have definitely settled on having Favre as a backup? They're just activating him so they have the time to sort out a trade.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Florio wrote this before he bothered to read the timeline. No way he writes that after reading the article that followed the one he based his story on.

OP
OP
R

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Florio wrote this before he bothered to read the timeline. No way he writes that after reading the article that followed the one he based his story on.

I was thinking the same thing. AND I HOPE SO PackOne because I really like P.F.T.

If he wrote that without looking at the time line facts, he is not a reporter/columnist but he is no different than a guy hanging around bar trying to stir up the crap and get more clicks on his blog.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bingo, Looks like he get's it, cause he's right on the Money! Oh now let's degrade Florio, start an Official Ignore Florio Thread, or better yet waste a otherwise meaningless life dropping one liners on an internet forum.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
most of the people on this forum have been ignoring Florio for quite some time. (not me, i love rumors). thing is, this isn't a rumor. it's an opinion piece. he's good at rumors. not so good at the opinion piece.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the whole post ignored button.

You are right RP I think he did it in haste. It sounded like you was out of the loop so to speak.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
most of the people on this forum have been ignoring Florio for quite some time. (not me, i love rumors). thing is, this isn't a rumor. it's an opinion piece. he's good at rumors. not so good at the opinion piece.

I agree, it was an I got back from vacation, have the fifteenth largest website (of any type in the nation) and better get something up on the Favre thing ASAP.

See if he changes his tune, he may.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone had a good comeback to the timeline yet?

Just curious, the usual suspects, and the ignored one seem to be fired up again. I personally, haven't heard any.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of off topic, but you guys should really only post part of the article and then link back to the original site. PP.O has gotten into some trouble in the past for members posting complete material without a link... Just trying to help!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of COURSE TT is thinking of job security!
And whats the best way to do that?
Work hard and put a good team on the field!

Oh no....that couldn't be it........it's all about his hatred of Brett Favre!!! Yeah! thats it! He wants Favre gone so he can twist his evil plan into affect! Ruin the Packers! YEAH!!! Thats what it's all about! TT's an idiot! I HATE him! No matter how good he does, i'll ALWAYS hate him!
(Of course that would be the quickest way to LOSE his job......but why mess this thought line up with facts. That ruins the affect!)

Of course nothing was said about the fact that Brett Favre caused all this by himself. No.....that would ruin everything!

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't rely too much on what PFT reports, especially in regards to the Packers. From what I understand Florio is from MN and is a Vikings fan.

Besides this was the same guy that mockingly used the terms "Lord Favre" to describe the manner in which Favre went about his retirment antics in years prior. If he was against him then, why is he for him now?

He's just trying to stir up the pot and get some quotes and opinions blogged because he is transparently anti-Packer although he tries to disguise it.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bingo, Looks like he get's it, cause he's right on the Money! Oh now let's degrade Florio, start an Official Ignore Florio Thread, or better yet waste a otherwise meaningless life dropping one liners on an internet forum.

says the guy dropping one liners on an internet forum.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dd80forever said:

Looks like 2 to me, yours is well......1.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
dd80forever said:

Looks like 2 to me, yours is well......1.

you do know that one liners aren't just sentences right? you have 2 sentences. one that is just a ridiculous opinion, the other a one-liner.

a one liner is a joke delivered in one line, kind of like this: "dd80forever is a Packers fan."

Wikipedia offers several examples of one liners if you need more to help.

the great cleansing is at hand.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murphy won't pull Thompson and the board isn't going to pull Murphy.

So expect Thompson in 2009 regardless. Maybe I'm wrong but Murphy did say he supports Thomson on his decision no matter what.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So expect Thompson in 2009 regardless. Maybe I'm wrong but Murphy did say he supports Thomson on his decision no matter what.

No to be obtuse, but did TT not stand behind Sherman with a 2 year extension approx 8 games before firing him? Job security can be a very fickle thing in the NFL.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score

C'mon now, What else was he going to say?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Florio is somewhat like Eminem in way. In the sense that he says things to try and SHOCK people to get attention.

Say something thats against the grain, people will read and ***** an moan and magically, you get publicity and people talking about you.

Just like that pansy Sal Palentonpoopios trying to say that Brett is over rated and Barry Sanders was a good RB because of the Lioins superb QB play by Scott Mitchell and the outstanding WR's Herman Moore and Brett Perriman or whoever he said.

Florio just says things like this to get attention and people talking about him. It's worked and is still working. Ignore the kid throwing a fit, and he'll stop, keep giving him attention, he'll keep writing articles with no substance.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Florio just says things like this to get attention and people talking about him. It's worked and is still working. Ignore the kid throwing a fit, and he'll stop, keep giving him attention, he'll keep writing articles with no substance.

While I agree Florio does sensationalize the subjects he reports on (what news outlet doesn't in this day and age), the article he has written above does have some merit. Just because you don't like the points he makes does not make them any less valid.

Members online

Latest posts