1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Oy Mate, Steve Irwin (Crocodile Hunter) killed by critter

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by CaliforniaCheez, Sep 4, 2006.

1. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html

Stingray barb to the chest. He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary when the tragedy occured.

[​IMG]

Just don't go "mucking" with critters and they won't be coming after you.

Now that Irwin is dead we won't hear lines like "Look at his claws ripping my flesh."

At least it wasn't a pretty "Sheila" that got him.

2. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Wow, I didn't actually believe this until I looked it up on CNN - LINK

3. Anubis

Anubis Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Re: Oy Mate, Steve Irwin (Crocodile Hunter) killed by critt

I always thought he'd someday meet his end in a murky pool of water.

RIP Steve. :cry:

Robert C. Hedley

4. CaliforniaCheez

Ratings:
    +0
    Trust CNN over the Aussie link?

5. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3

this sucks. he was hilarious.

I bet a lot of people won money, betting that he would get killed by an animal. A lot wont win cuz they specified 'croc death.'

can you tell i gamble?

Have fun playing with your crocs in heaven, steve!

6. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Damn, this is unexpected.

Worst thing is that he leaves behind two little children. :(

RIP.

7. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3

I heard it on the radio.... :cry: It's really sad. He was fun to watch on TV.

8. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Thats really a bad way to go. So sorry to hear. He was entertaining but he was also a pretty bad influence on kids who want to play with a live rattler after watching his show. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife and kids. They were a team to watch together. That really sucks.

9. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah horrible way to die and those lines will probaly still be played....he's swimming "oh those wont kill me the chance are 1/million" well look at him now

10. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    CRIKEY!!!! Crocodile Hunter gets killed!!!

I can't believe it!?! Well, maybe I can but it sucks. I can't believe that a stingray killed him...what are the odds? I heard that only 3 reported cases of death caused by a stingray have ever been reported.

R.I.P. Croc Hunter

11. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Re: CRIKEY!!!! Crocodile Hunter gets killed!!!

Already reported, I'll merge this topic. :)

*MERGED*

12. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    €that definatley sucks. He may of done some shady things but no one made it more interesting to learn about animals then him, by cracky. To bad for little Bob to lose his dad. Prayers for the Croc man

13. CaliforniaCheez

Ratings:
    +0

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 01,00.html

A LIFE-long friend of Steve Irwin today told how the Crocodile Hunter pulled a deadly stingray barb from his own chest before losing consciousness and dying.

Friend John Stainton said he had viewed footage of his friend's last moments and the images were "shocking".

"It's a very hard thing to watch because you're actually witnessing somebody die ... and it's terrible," he said.

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest), and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone. That was it. The cameraman had to shut down."

The footage of the fatal attack on the Great Barrier Reef has been handed to Queensland police as fans worldwide come to grips with the "freak" death.

Irwin, 44, was killed almost instantly when the stingray stabbed him in the heart with its poisonous 20cm barb as he snorkelled off Port Douglas, in north Queensland, yesterday morning.

As tributes and salutes poured in from around the world, Queensland Premier Peter Beattie said Irwin would get a state funeral if that's what his family wanted.

"The footage shows him swimming in the water, the ray stopped and turned and that was it," said boatowner Peter West, who viewed the footage afterwards.

"There was no blood in the water, it was not that obvious ... something happened with this animal that made it rear and he was at the wrong position at the wrong time and if it hit him anywhere else we would not be talking about a fatality."

Irwin was shooting a documentary on dangerous marine life, in shallow water at Batt Reef, about 32 nautical miles offshore, at about 11am.

Tributes poured in from around the world for Irwin, a renowned environmentalist who was estimated to be earning more than $4million a year from his Queensland reptile park, Australia Zoo.

Footage of the attack shows Irwin swimming above a 2.5m stingray before it turns on him and sends a poisonous barb through his heart.

Irwin was pulled from the water by a cameraman and a crewman, put on an inflatable tender and taken to a support boat about 500m away.

Crewmembers say he was barely conscious in the minutes after the sting and died as his production team rushed him to his vessel, Croc One, and to a nearby island for emergency treatment.

A charter dive boat crew desperately tried to revive him on the beach, but were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead shortly afterwards by Queensland Rescue Service officers, who had flown to the area by helicopter.

Irwin's body was last night flown to Cairns where a post-mortem examination this morning confirmed Irwin was killed when the poisonous barb on the stingray's tail pierced his chest. Police have seized all available evidence and interviewed witnesses in order to prepare a report for the Coroner.

A coronial inquest is expected.

Producer, director and life-long friend John Stainton yesterday said Irwin did not provoke the stingray and was simply swimming above it when he was attacked.

"He came over the top of a stingray and the stingray barb went up and into his chest and into his heart," Stainton said.

"It's likely that he possibly died instantly when the barb hit him, and I hope he felt no pain."

One of Irwin's contemporaries, internationally known cameraman and spearfisherman Ben Cropp, was in his own boat off Port Douglas when Irwin was killed.

"I have just spoken to a cameraman friend who was there and has seen the footage," Mr Cropp told The Australian last night.

"He was up in the shallow water, probably 1.5m to 2m deep, following a bull ray which was about a metre across the body - probably weighing about 100kg, and it had quite a large spine.

"The cameraman was filming in the water."

Mr Cropp said the stingray was spooked and went into defensive mood.

"It probably felt threatened because Steve was alongside and there was the cameraman ahead, and it felt there was danger and it baulked.

"It stopped and went into a defensive mode and swung its tail with the spike.

"Steve unfortunately was in a bad position and copped it.

"I have had that happen to me, and I can visualise it - when a ray goes into defensive, you get out of the way.

"Steve was so close he could not get away, so if you can imagine it - being right beside the ray and it swinging its spine upwards from underneath Steve - and it hit him.

"I have seen that sort of reaction with rays - with their tail breaking the water, such is the force."

Internationally renowned jellyfish sting expert Jamie Seymour was on board Irwin's boat at the time.

Irwin had decided yesterday morning to shoot a segment of film on stingrays for a new television program that will be hosted by his daughter, Bindi.

Surf Lifesavers national marine stinger adviser Lisa-Ann Gershwin said there had only been 17 fatal stingray attacks worldwide.

"I think it's just an extraordinary freak accident that has happened to his heart," she said.
    "A lot of people will be afraid by this, but they need to keep in mind that this was a freak accident, it was a terrible tragedy but it is not common."

Dr Gershwin said stingray stings to the legs or arms were common and, while painful, were not normally considered dangerous. She said there were many different types of stingrays, with barbs on their tails up to 30cm long, and they poisoned victims with a range of toxins.

Mr West said the barb was like a "very rough knife" and while fatal stingray stings had been known to occur, filming and swimming alongside the animal was commonplace among marine filmmakers.

Mr Cropp said he was told that the strike was "close to the heart and Steve had a cardiac arrest".

"At first they treated him as being wounded, but he didn't survive unfortunately," he said.

"The second boat in attendance raced in to give assistance and they radioed for help.

"They went into Low Isle and met the chopper which took Steve's body out."

In September 2004, Mr Cropp was attacked by a tiger shark on Bott Reef. "The rays in Australia and particularly in the north are not like those on the Cayman Islands, which are very quiet and allow people to ride on their backs," he said.

"At this time of the year they are on the lookout for tiger sharks and are very frisky.

"They are not aggressive. In fact they are very timid, but they defend themselves by throwing their tail spine upwards, and there is a spike on the tip about eight inches long which they can use like a dagger."

14. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for posting that. WAs nice to get the whole story and answered some questions that I was wondering about. I guess it was his time. So long mate.

15. TomAllen

TomAllen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sort of a funny attitude there California. Do you believe man should have dominion of all beasts, fish, and fowl?

Just wondering.

16. umair

umair Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    sad to see him go. i really enjoyed watching his shows.

17. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry for his wife and 8 year old daughter and 2 year old son. With all due respect to the dead, he was an idiot. Entertaining but an idiot. I admired him until he held his one month old son in one arm, while teasing a croc with raw meat. Then he teased the croc with his baby. What an idiot. If you've seen this video, you know what I mean.

18. TomAllen

TomAllen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Aw..c'mon Depack..

That was show business..he was in complete control...

It's not like he held him out a 12 story hotel window..or something like that!

19. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm...out a 12 story window OR in front of a croc?!?!?

think about it. :crazy:

20. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    how about in front of a train, and pulling it back at the last second.

21. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    "Got eggs"? :wtf:

22. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    note to self...NEVER let trom babysit the twins. :rubeyes:

23. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    damn, i always wanted to see your twins..

your children too.

24. 4packgirl

4packgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i set you up good for that one, didn't i?? i'll be expecting something in return, trommy!! :)

25. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh my! a game of 'ill show you mine if you show me yours' eh!? you minx

(did i say minx....wow)