Owen Daniels making visit to Packers

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

Tom Silverstein is reporting that former Texans TE Owen Daniels will make a visit to Green Bay to meet with Packers.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who would you rather have Owen Daniels or J. Finley? I'd rather have Finley hands down.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
He had a good season in 2012, but only played in 5 games last year. Not keeping up with the texans very much, but what type of injury did he suffer to miss 11 games? Are we looking at one mans trash?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

He had a good season in 2012, but only played in 5 games last year. Not keeping up with the texans very much, but what type of injury did he suffer to miss 11 games? Are we looking at one mans trash?

He suffered a fractured fibula last season.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Well, it's not as bad as a blown out knee or a neck injury I guess. He is not the "new size" TE that teams seem to be favoring now..... but I am hoping that he can do well in the run blocking department for Lacy, he passes the eye test for now.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Well, it's not as bad as a blown out knee or a neck injury I guess. He is not the "new size" TE that teams seem to be favoring now..... but I am hoping that he can do well in the run blocking department for Lacy, he passes the eye test for now.

He´s not a great run blocker, wouldn´t be an upgrade over Finley in that department.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

wont be an upgrade over finley, I agree.... but it will be an upgrade over the other two

Actually all of our TEs were really bad in run blocking last season, so he would fit right into the position group. ;) But he would for sure be the most talented pass catcher of the group, although I´m curious about what Bostick will be able to do as well.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I was actually meaning that him being a savvy veteran will be an upgrade in the overall TE department. He has to be better than bostick and querless ( one decent game does not make him that good )

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He´s not a great run blocker, wouldn´t be an upgrade over Finley in that department.

This was actually one of my questions regarding him. I would argue that it wouldn't take much to be an upgrade over Finley in this department. As much as I like Finley, his run blocking was putrid.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
well, it's hard to have the best of both worlds with todays TE's..... teams are now looking for the 6'6" athletic hybrid type TE that can line up like a WR and be a BIG threat in the redzone. Graham/gronk/finley type guys..... I personally like the Jason whitten type TE...big,strong,durable and always makes the play and can run block....but his type are becoming more rare.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Of course I'd prefer a healthy Finley but... The good news about Daniels is “Of his 385 receptions, 56 have been for 20 or more yards and 29 have been for touchdowns”. He did tear his ACL in 2009 but only missed 2 games in 2011 and 2012 before breaking his fibula last October. That should be plenty of time to have fully recovered. He turns 32 in November. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/249856071.html

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jermichael Finley kind of feels to me like a relationship that's been over for a while but both sides "try to make it work"

I think a change of scenery would do both sides well.

Plus having a two pass catching TE's wouldn't hurt. Daniels is decent TE. I still think we draft a TE this year as well though.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels is basically an older tight end coming off an injury shortened season that shouldn't cost a lot. I look at him as cheap insurance if the Packers don't clear and bring back Finley or if Bostic doesn't improve as much as the coaching staff obviously wants. The only thing he would bring to the position is experience and some consistency but he's certainly not going to improve the offense by any noticeable degree.

Something to bear in mind is that with our new emphasis on the running game is that the run blocking ability of any tight end may become more important to the coaches. This could mean a guy like Troy Niklas actually becoming more of a Packers' target in the second round rather than Ebron in the first. Daniels would be a solid pickup if this comes to pass since he would allow the staff to ease Bostic and Niklas into the fold a little more gently.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Well..... he was only going for a visit, no more news than that yet. Hope that he gets a fair deal if TT offers him one considering his veteran status. I just hope TT does not try to go super cheap and impress the guy with a burger king drive thru lunch.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts