Overall Graft Grades, PF "experts"

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would put Bulaga low on the list of 3-5 players worth cutting. However, due to his age and injuries in the past, as well as his contract is up at the end of the year, if enough guys stepped up and showed they could effectively play RT, then I could see the situation where he is expendable. I just don't expect that to happen.

I love Tramon Williams and Mike Daniels, but they might be easier to replace with someone currently on the roster.
Point well made about Williams and Daniels. I don’t expect either to be back next year. If Savage does well as a centerfield safety, Williams can go back to corner and that will help this year, especially with Kevin King still a question mark, and Josh Jackson looking for a 2nd year jump. Daniels has been a great Packer, a standout at times on an otherwise ordinary DL. But age is catching up with him, and with the FA and draft additions, he may be expendable after this year.

As for Bulaga, I see no reason to part ways with him this year. Considering the severity and number of injuries, he bounces back fast and is great when healthy. This may be the year to groom his ultimate replacement, especially with the new faces on the OL.

I just don’t see Spriggs making the final 53. He’s had his time and certainly plenty of chances. After three years, I don’t see that changing. Time to admit he was a poor choice, or rather, a high choice who didn’t plan out, and cut losses.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I just don’t see Spriggs making the final 53. He’s had his time and certainly plenty of chances. After three years, I don’t see that changing. Time to admit he was a poor choice, or rather, a high choice who didn’t plan out, and cut losses.

I'm not a big Spriggs fan either and agree that he probably will leave the Packers as a big disappointment. However, given that he is still on his rookie deal and "only" will cost the Packers $1,132,404, I think they will hang on to him this season. He is probably your #1 or at worst #2 backup RT, so they still need the depth. All that can change if a couple of young guys step up.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs is better than Pankey and better than McCray at Tackle. Turner may be, and i'd say likely is a starting guard but if not it would be between Spriggs and him as the first man off the bench to play tackle. Why are you in such a hurry to cut him? He'd be snatched up in a heartbeat just to be a back up, which is what he is here. He's on a rookie deal, cheap.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Spriggs is better than Pankey and better than McCray at Tackle. Turner may be, and i'd say likely is a starting guard but if not it would be between Spriggs and him as the first man off the bench to play tackle. Why are you in such a hurry to cut him? He'd be snatched up in a heartbeat just to be a back up, which is what he is here. He's on a rookie deal, cheap.

Stop reading over my shoulder! ;)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a big Spriggs fan either and agree that he probably will leave the Packers as a big disappointment. However, given that he is still on his rookie deal and "only" will cost the Packers $1,132,404, I think they will hang on to him this season. He is probably your #1 or at worst #2 backup RT, so they still need the depth. All that can change if a couple of young guys step up.
Yeah I guess I can see him as the #1 or #2 RT, depending on how things play out in training camp. He has shown signs of being a good player, it’s the consistency that’s missing. And again, a lot will depend on where the depth chart shakes out as September approaches.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No question he’s affordable, and I can’t argue that he’s better than Pankey and McCray, but neither of those guys exactly sets the world on fire. I’m fine with giving him a chance to duke it out in training and so yeah, it is too early to say just cut him. I just don’t expect him to be on the roster in September, but who knows? Your point on affordability is a good one, given the hefty contracts given out in FA.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who's going to replace him? We're keeping 2 guys that can play back up at Tackle and right now that is only Spriggs and Turner. and there is a good chance turner is a starting guard which leaves Spriggs as are #1 swing Tackle. It's hard to seem him going anywhere this year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I must type slower, which makes sense I guess, but I swear you hadn't posted yet
No problem, just good discussion. And Gluten may turn a deal yet, or we may pick up a cut. Or Spriggs may surprise and turn out to be as gifted on the field as he is athletically. I was initially very pleased with the pick. He has the measurables. Now he needs to execute consistently.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Consistency has been an issue. He swings from being more than adequate at a short term starter and then has a horrible play that leaves the Qb exposed.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I must type slower, which makes sense I guess, but I swear you hadn't posted yet

Nothing wrong when 2 great minds think alike, its when 2 not so great minds get together that you run into problems! ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Consistency has been an issue. He swings from being more than adequate at a short term starter and then has a horrible play that leaves the Qb exposed.

Sounds like he would make a great kicker for the Packers! ;)

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN has Matt Bowen & Kevin Seifert both are predicting in the way to early to predict, D-ROY will be Savage.

Matt Bowen, NFL analyst: Darnell Savage Jr., S, Green Bay Packers. Savage can close on the ball with immediate speed, and his playmaking versatility in the secondary gives defensive coordinator Mike Pettine some real options in the game plan. Play Savage in the post, roll him down in coverage over the slot, or allow him to blitz in sub-package schemes. I would love to coach this guy.

Kevin Seifert, national NFL writer: Darnell Savage Jr., S, Green Bay Packers. This decision involves a bit of voter projection. Savage is a speedy playmaker who is known for anticipating throws and getting early jumps on the ball. Voters usually notice, and often reward, defensive players who pile up tangible statistics such as sacks, interceptions, passes defensed and forced or recovered fumbles. That should put Savage in the mix, given that there is likely an immediate starting job awaiting him.

Other picks are Devin White, Devin Bush and Bosa.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have the same thoughts for Savage, he's my favorite pick for this team out of this draft

Reaction score
The biggest unknown on D after things shook out is opposite Martinez. It’s a position I expected us to pick inside #119 overall at the latest and a day 2 was warranted. However, I understand Savage is worth one 1st rounder + two pretty good ILBs :whistling: (sarcastically)
What’s done is done and I support our GM until proven otherwise.

A viable solution to the acquire a decent veteran that can come in day 1 is to negotiate a trade.
But my guess? I think Gute stands pat and he’s given Pettine enough firepower to reduce any holes to look like a minor leak there at ILB. Time is on our side now

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN has Matt Bowen & Kevin Seifert both are predicting in the way to early to predict, D-ROY will be Savage.

Matt Bowen, NFL analyst: Darnell Savage Jr., S, Green Bay Packers. Savage can close on the ball with immediate speed, and his playmaking versatility in the secondary gives defensive coordinator Mike Pettine some real options in the game plan. Play Savage in the post, roll him down in coverage over the slot, or allow him to blitz in sub-package schemes. I would love to coach this guy.

Kevin Seifert, national NFL writer: Darnell Savage Jr., S, Green Bay Packers. This decision involves a bit of voter projection. Savage is a speedy playmaker who is known for anticipating throws and getting early jumps on the ball. Voters usually notice, and often reward, defensive players who pile up tangible statistics such as sacks, interceptions, passes defensed and forced or recovered fumbles. That should put Savage in the mix, given that there is likely an immediate starting job awaiting him.

Other picks are Devin White, Devin Bush and Bosa.
Pretty exclusive company for a #21. The production is there. More than can be said for Gary.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scouting is all about checking to see what school a guy plays at. Its just that simple.

Gary - D - Just cant get excited about this pick. I can't shak my impression that he doesn't love football. Would have tried to trade back, taken Sweat, or an OT.

Savage - B+ - really like the player, and if Gute felt he would not have been there at 30, then so be it. He does seem a perfect compliment to Amos. And what a fantastic name for a player. Savage. Much better than 'Polite'. Our secondary should be a strength of this team in a year or two.
Gary worries me, especially the lack of production. If he can’t rack up sacks and TFL in college, why would we expect that to happen in the pros? The upside is there, I get it. But the gamble is too big with a #12 pick. This was disappointing.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary worries me, especially the lack of production. If he can’t rack up sacks and TFL in college, why would we expect that to happen in the pros? The upside is there, I get it. But the gamble is too big with a #12 pick. This was disappointing.

this is coming from someone who doesn't watch college much, only listen to what 'experts' say and this forum. I know Devin White came from Michigan, are there any other guys on the defense that came out or will be out next year?

Maybe I am grasping for invisible straws because skill and talent is skill and talent, but if he could be doubled or mitigated...is it possible that with the rest of the defense as a whole, he will see more productivity?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this is coming from someone who doesn't watch college much, only listen to what 'experts' say and this forum. I know Devin White came from Michigan, are there any other guys on the defense that came out or will be out next year?

Maybe I am grasping for invisible straws because skill and talent is skill and talent, but if he could be doubled or mitigated...is it possible that with the rest of the defense as a whole, he will see more productivity?
Yes and that’s a good point. We don’t know what he was asked to do at MI. And the Packers have solidified, almost rebuilt, the defensive front/edge. Not everyone can be doubled, and that will lead to opportunities. I certainly want him to succeed.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I'm curbing any possible disappointment or too much excitement, until I see him play. Hard to get too excited or too down about any of the draft picks, until you actually see them in action. The NFL translates better for some than others, as well as different Defensive schemes and teammates.

Reaction score
hasn't the lack-of-production thing been explained away? can't believe it keeps coming up.
yeah. No way does an entire team of scouts and personnel overlook a #12 pick. The top 15 players at minimum are heavily scrutinized. The only thing that a limited stat sheet tells me is that the personnel team in GB feels like Rashan is going to really excel. Rashan likely had tape that’s been reviewed, compared, weighed, argued, debated and heavily scrutinized. They likely had additional feedback from the DC Coordinator and his staff.

I guess what I’m saying is they didn’t go into this pick blind. They didn’t ignore the limited stats, they didn’t ignore a shoulder injury. They didn’t ignore the negatives. They must’ve thought his upside would far offset the risk. That excites me to know he must be viewed as not being anywhere close to his ceiling. I hope he reaches that potential. We just might have a monster there at #12.

Gary also graded out very strong as far as the consensus profile. Some analysts bandwagon, but It’s unlikely that many in the industry give a 6.31 type draft (instant starter grade) to someone who has limited stats in college (our argument) unless they see Beaucoup unrealized potential or a player in a system being mis-utilized or a combination thereof. Those type grades don’t get handed out lightly and generally come with elite college production.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hasn't the lack-of-production thing been explained away? can't believe it keeps coming up.
Lots of excuses out there - not sure that explains it away.

So 1400 snaps and he gets to the QB less than 10 times because on 1390 plays the gameplan dictated he wasnt supposed to get a sack? Still doesnt add up to me. I hope he is the real deal, but I dont think the armchair GMs watching YouTube
highlights gives an accurate crosssection of his play.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah. No way does an entire team of scouts and personnel overlook a #12 pick. The top 15 players at minimum are heavily scrutinized. The only thing that a limited stat sheet tells me is that the personnel team in GB feels like Rashan is going to really excel. Rashan likely had tape that’s been reviewed, compared, weighed, argued, debated and heavily scrutinized. They likely had additional feedback from the DC Coordinator and his staff.

I guess what I’m saying is they didn’t go into this pick blind. They didn’t ignore the limited stats, they didn’t ignore a shoulder injury. They didn’t ignore the negatives. They must’ve thought his upside would far offset the risk. That excites me to know he must be viewed as not being anywhere close to his ceiling. I hope he reaches that potential. We just might have a monster there at #12.

Gary also graded out very strong as far as the consensus profile. Some analysts bandwagon, but It’s unlikely that many in the industry give a 6.31 type draft (instant starter grade) to someone who has limited stats in college (our argument) unless they see Beaucoup unrealized potential or a player in a system being mis-utilized or a combination thereof. Those type grades don’t get handed out lightly and generally come with elite college production.
There is risk on every draft pick and players bust in the top 12 every year. It's not always a failure of the front office, often it is a calculated risk. Gary is a risk, make no mistake about it. He has off the chart athleticism, but has a lack of production but there are a bunch of excuses.

If the excuses are legitimate, we come out with an impact player at an important position. Else, we wasted a pick. It's a calculated move.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes and that’s a good point. We don’t know what he was asked to do at MI. And the Packers have solidified, almost rebuilt, the defensive front/edge. Not everyone can be doubled, and that will lead to opportunities. I certainly want him to succeed.

Yes, we do know. We can watch the tape, and I've mentioned it multiple times. Gary lined up as a 6 covering the C Gap. That's not a position where one racks up a lot of stats.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts