Overall Graft Grades, PF "experts"

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hoping to land one of those top ILB's at 12. We haven't had that difference maker there for a long time. The problem is, there aren't many guys that can be that man anymore. It's not enough to be tough and hit hard, you have to turn and run with WR like TE's and shifty RB's in coverage too. There are barely 3 guys a draft that seem to fit the bill of an every down ILB anymore. It's all converted safeties and DB's playing in the box now which of course someone is going to take advantage of that in the run game.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burr-Kirven is a guy I was hoping for on day 3, but the Seahawks got him.
Just finished reading an article at cbssports.com about 9 3rd day picks who could make an impact, and Summers is in it. The writer says if not for inconsistent tackling last year, he would have went several rounds higher.

Reaction score
They also may very well be comfortable with their current personnel.
If we are able to shore up that ILB spot this year and some moderate good fortune on the injury front, we conceivably could have a draft where we hit the Offense and ST hard in 2020 like we did at D this year.

I still believe Gute knew it would take a 3 year plan to right this ship. Year 1 was cleaning house. Year 2 was solidifying the Defensive Contracts to Tee-up Year 3. We will be adding the finishing touches to make a run mainly in O and ST focus. If we get there by chance in the meantime so be it, but I believe 2019 is still building the Cornerstone D for a SB run. That also makes picking a player like Rashan who may need to be refined and has some lingering injury concerns, but has a huge upside the next several years, make more sense.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hoping to land one of those top ILB's at 12. We haven't had that difference maker there for a long time. The problem is, there aren't many guys that can be that man anymore. It's not enough to be tough and hit hard, you have to turn and run with WR like TE's and shifty RB's in coverage too. There are barely 3 guys a draft that seem to fit the bill of an every down ILB anymore. It's all converted safeties and DB's playing in the box now which of course someone is going to take advantage of that in the run game.
Agree. I’m sure they would have taken Bush at #12 if the Steelers hadn’t jumped up. But outside of the two Devins, I didn’t see any other immediate ILBs in the draft. Hopefully with the drafting of the Smiths and the addition of Gary, they can create enough consistent pressure along the DL to make the current ILBs better, at least in the rushing game.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Gute feels he addressed WR in last years draft and I hope he is right. I too would have liked to see him do the same at ILB for 2020, by using a pick or 2 mid round, but maybe there weren't guys there that the Packers felt were worth it. They also may very well be comfortable with their current personnel. If ILB continues to be an issue, it might become top priority in Free Agency next year. My hope is with the addition of the Smiths and Gary, Martinez and whoever is playing the other ILB will have a bigger impact.

I'm fine with Martinez playing the majority of snaps at inside linebacker but currently am concerned about who will be playing next to him. It's possible Burks, Jones or another player makes a jump but it might end up being a significant weakness on this year's defense.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fine with Martinez playing the majority of snaps at inside linebacker but currently am concerned about who will be playing next to him. It's possible Burks, Jones or another player makes a jump but it might end up being a significant weakness on this year's defense.

This is why I think Gute will still make a move at some point for an ILB.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is why I think Gute will still make a move at some point for an ILB.

It's definitely possible and too early to evaluate the roster entering this season. The Packers don't have a lot of cap space to make a move for a decent veteran though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're tight with money right now. There will have to be significant changes for anyone of significance to come aboard. I wouldn't rule out a Bulaga release if some of the new blood on the Oline makes him expendable. A lot will be determined in TC this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

We're tight with money right now. There will have to be significant changes for anyone of significance to come aboard. I wouldn't rule out a Bulaga release if some of the new blood on the Oline makes him expendable. A lot will be determined in TC this year.

I don't think the Packers have added an offensive lineman they will feel comfortable replacing Bulaga with this season. Daniels might be a surprise candidate to be released before the start of the season though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels is another one that could be cut too. I think those 2 veterans are the 2 that could make room for someone else. I'm not comfortable with any of the additions replacing Bulaga either at this point, none of that would be decided until near the end of TC. Someone would have really have to prove themselves.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Besides cutting players another way the Packers could free up money to sign a player that they feel they absolutely need, would be to rework a contract or two. Not sure how popular it would be with some of the posters here, Daniels and/or Bulaga could agree to restructure their final year into a new 2 year deal at a reduced amount. Just spit balling here, but always ways to get creative with the cap and shifting money around.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides cutting players another way the Packers could free up money to sign a player that they feel they absolutely need, would be to rework a contract or two. Not sure how popular it would be with some of the posters here, Daniels and/or Bulaga could agree to restructure their final year into a new 2 year deal at a reduced amount. Just spit balling here, but always ways to get creative with the cap and shifting money around.
I'm not a fan of creating room that way. They're close enough to being done and money off the books, just let them play it out. We're not exactly overflowing with cap space in the next season or 2 either and we have guys like Clark that absolutely need to be re-signed. I'd rather not take space in the future to make a bit of space now for what is going to be a cast off.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers extending either Bulaga or Daniels, when in reality they should have a decent plan moving on without them, doesn't sound like a smart plan to create additional cap space for this season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of creating room that way. They're close enough to being done and money off the books, just let them play it out. We're not exactly overflowing with cap space in the next season or 2 either and we have guys like Clark that absolutely need to be re-signed. I'd rather not take space in the future to make a bit of space now for what is going to be a cast off.

The Packers extending either Bulaga or Daniels, when in reality they should have a decent plan moving on without them, doesn't sound like a smart plan to create additional cap space for this season.

Like I said, I am just spit balling here in ways to free up cap space, without cutting a starter. Ball is a pretty creative guy and if the Packers see an opportunity to improve the team by adding a FA, they have ways to accomplish it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Like I said, I am just spit balling here in ways to free up cap space, without cutting a starter. Ball is a pretty creative guy and if the Packers see an opportunity to improve the team by adding a FA, they have ways to accomplish it.

I would prefer the Packers to achieve that by extending a young player considered to be a core member moving forward though.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i can't see them cutting bulaga as the oline finally looks pretty good with starters and depth. no logic in stepping backwards there. daniels on the other hand...but i wouldn't just cut him, i'd trade him. maybe for that mlb...maybe for a draft pick. they have the depth to absorb that loss. if i couldn't trade him though, i'd just keep him and take my chances with who we have.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
i can't see them cutting bulaga as the oline finally looks pretty good with starters and depth. no logic in stepping backwards there. daniels on the other hand...but i wouldn't just cut him, i'd trade him. maybe for that mlb...maybe for a draft pick. they have the depth to absorb that loss. if i couldn't trade him though, i'd just keep him and take my chances with who we have.

Problem with trying to trade Daniels is just like Matthews, Perry and others, his $7.6M salary might be something another team doesn't want to absorb. Not to mention that I doubt the Packers get much more than a 6th for him. Obviously, if at some point the plan is to part ways with Mike, you attempt to trade him and if all else fails, cut him loose.

I also don't think the Packers are in the position to cut Bulaga or Daniels until they see exactly what they have to replace them with. That might not be known until late August, so shedding one of those guys now, to sign a FA, is taking a risk that they can actually replace that player with someone equal or better.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem with trying to trade Daniels is just like Matthews, Perry and others, his $7.6M salary might be something another team doesn't want to absorb. Not to mention that I doubt the Packers get much more than a 6th for him. Obviously, if at some point the plan is to part ways with Mike, you attempt to trade him and if all else fails, cut him loose.

I also don't think the Packers are in the position to cut Bulaga or Daniels until they see exactly what they have to replace them with. That might not be known until late August, so shedding one of those guys now, to sign a FA, is taking a risk that they can actually replace that player with someone equal or better.
i definitely agree, NOW is not the time to cut either. These are potentials only after much of TC and near final cut downs. Then it will be influenced by a couple things. One would be, someone proves they're able to replace them and they feel good about depth behind them. Cutting one or both to gain space just to create some space to carry over even wouldn't be the worst idea, but of course it depends on someone replacing and depth. I"m not advocating a cut just to cut.

the other scenario is someone is close stepping up, but hasn't made them fully replaceable, but someone that absolutely love becomes available for whatever reason and they make a move to get him. They might figure the gain is bigger in that spot to make absorbing a small decline at another. But I don't see any of those FA's available right now anyway. This will be in camp and cut downs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Toss in the potential of injuries between now and the first day of the season and you have yet another reason why shedding either Bulaga or Daniels might not be the smartest move before then.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga is still a very good RT, that doesn't cost that much by OT standards. Why cut him?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bulaga is still a very good RT, that doesn't cost that much by OT standards. Why cut him?
I would put Bulaga low on the list of 3-5 players worth cutting. However, due to his age and injuries in the past, as well as his contract is up at the end of the year, if enough guys stepped up and showed they could effectively play RT, then I could see the situation where he is expendable. I just don't expect that to happen.

I love Tramon Williams and Mike Daniels, but they might be easier to replace with someone currently on the roster.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
exactly. there's no reason to cut him. it would be insane with the oline finally looking solid. same for daniels as far as cutting goes. his cost shouldn't scare anyone away, he's still very good, so a trade would be much better. get something, or someone, for him. there might be a team out there with extra mlb talent who could use a dt. otherwise i'd just keep him. remember, this season is the last best-chance to do anything in the rodgers era.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want them to do it, but if other players step up there are reasons to cut any number of those 3, the main being cap space for the future. I don't believe this is the last best chance to do anything, and if it is, it's going to be because the youth steps up already. and if thats the case, they can be expendable to sign the youth that will carry us in the future.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want them to do it, but if other players step up there are reasons to cut any number of those 3, the main being cap space for the future. I don't believe this is the last best chance to do anything, and if it is, it's going to be because the youth steps up already. and if thats the case, they can be expendable to sign the youth that will carry us in the future.
they're depending/counting on the inexpensive youth to step up in 2020 as the Packers will lose a lot of experienced talent...bulaga, daniels, graham, t. williams, crosby...let alone the youth that may not pan out...king, j. jones. that's another influx of inexperienced youth.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts