Over/Unders 2014 - Matthews & Peppers sacks combined

Will Matthews & Peppers get OVER or UNDER 19 1/2 total sacks this season (Regular Season)?

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sacks Combined in 2014 between CLAY MATTHEWS & JULIUS PEPPERS: 19 1/2

Take the Over or Under, 19 1/2 total sacks this season between Clay & Julius

Peppers sack totals going back from last year out, were: 7, 11.5, 11, 8, 10.5, 14.5
Matthews sack totals were: 7.5, 13, 6, 13.5, 10. So 50 in 5 years.

Neither has had a complimentary pass rusher to go along with them like they each have this year.
I think Matthews is going to, if healthy, certainly beat his 13.5 total that he had in 2010.
He will get a handful of sacks where Peppers flushes the QB his direction. Nobody else has done that really for Clay.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Here's a bit of INFO, on Matthews, from Pro Football Focus.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/28/pass-rusher-profile-clay-matthews/

There may not be a more consistent pass rusher who has been so heavily leaned upon to be his team’s lead source of pressure. In each of his four seasons in Green Bay, Clay Matthews has recorded at least 50 total pressures, and at least 25 of those have been hits or sacks. His pass rush grade has gone up every year and his Pass Rushing Productivity score has been around or above 10.0 in each of his four seasons.

This in spite of his complementary edge rushers in those four seasons being Erik Walden (2012, 2011 and 2010, combined -43.4 pass rush grade), Frank Zombo (2010, -14.1), Brad Jones (2010 and 2009, -10.7) and Aaron Kampman (2009, +0.8). Matthews is one of the rare players in the league that is truly the sole focus of an opposing team in terms of shutting down the defense’s pass rush, and yet his production has been almost metronomic in its consistency.
When you have Matthews’ outside threat and his ability to counter that with inside moves, and you can combine all of that with the energy and desire to convert a high percentage of his pressure into hits and sacks, it is hard to see Matthews continuing to be anything other than one of the league’s most productive and consistent pass rushers.

JULIUS PEPPERS > http://www.packers.com/media-center...-Peppers/e8573725-bbdb-4fd6-a085-ff577bf10228

Looking forward to seeing this guy down twice on that opening Thursday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/9055/matthews-peppers-form-a-strong-combo
"I think he's going to give teams a lot of trouble, especially with Clay, Nick Perry, Mike Neal, Mike Daniels," Packers cornerback Jarrett Bush said this week.....He's (Peppers) definitely a force to be reckoned with. I think with Clay and the whole gang, I think we'll be a championship caliber team."

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming both players stay healthy and play 16 games, I'm going with 25 sacks. 15 from Matthews and 10 from Peppers. If the Packers offense keeps scoring, teams are going to pass a lot and create plenty of sack opportunities.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Matthews and Peppers stay healthy I expect them to combine for at least 20 sacks. In addition I think Daniels will benefit from having both of them rushing the passer as well.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the way both of you guys think.
We deserve a healthy season, actually a few of them.

If the defense stays healthy, and if they add a safety who can add instant help back there as recent ones Vacarro (Saints), Reid (Niners), Thomas (Seachickens), Smith (Vikings), have, I think this defense can be at least a top-10, maybe top-5 defense this year.

People forgot how great Matthews is.

Read that write-up, study from PFF above if you want a refresher.

OSHKOSH, you're the Negative Nancy in here?????
Where's your faith? Must be expecting more injuries I bet..... we're DUE for a good luck there for once.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to go with 21. 14 from Matthews and 7 from peppers. But I'm also predicting Neal to have 6 or so. I have literally no prediction for Perry. He could have a break out or bust out year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am going to go with the over. I see Claymaker playing 14 games and racking up 13.5 sacks while Peppers plays all 16 and puts up 9.5 himself. I also see Daniels continuing to improve his game and bringing 7 to the table. Now if we can get some decent to good production out of Jones and Perry I really think our D is in for a pretty good year.
Interceptions, passes defended and the like are many times created and caused by a ferocious pass rush. If we can get the kind of production listed above I see no reason why our T.O.'s shouldn't take a dramatic tick upwards and the secondary as a whole being a unit to be proud of. I don't care how good of a corner you are, it is damn near impossible to stay in a receivers pocket for 4, 5, 6 seconds without getting burned or flagged. There is always a direct correlation between pressure and T.O.'s and I think the secondary will be rewarded this upcoming season with the improved rush from the front 7. Fingers crossed all of this comes to be...

GPG!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It appears that I'm one of only two people to vote for the under so far, but I really hope that I'm wrong. The Injury Scythe hovers over both of them.

D

Deleted member 6794

It appears that I'm one of only two people to vote for the under so far, but I really hope that I'm wrong. The Injury Scythe hovers over both of them.

I understand your concern with Matthews but Peppers hasn't missed a game since 2007.

Members online

Latest posts