1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Outside the Lines

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Vltrophy, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +400
    Currently watching OTL & they're talking about players w/CTE. You hate to see ppl having problems like dementia & so forth. Family members say they don't like seeing their loved one going through this. Talking to Fred McNeils widow as he died 11/3/15. I'm sure she's being of very nicely for her to come on the show the day after his death. Again you hate to see them go through this but yet you(they)enjoy the lifestyle of luxury. Suing the NFL for millions of dollars is ludicrous imo b/c they knew what they were getting into. They may not have known all the symptoms but when you play a contact sport like football common sense tells you your future will be dim. His widow just said the NFL had approved Fred for funds for the best medical care. Sorry for her loss but at the same time I wish he would ask her if she'd be willing to give up her life of luxury & have to work 40+ hours a week until she's 65+ & Fred is 65+? Though she would likely say yes she would I wonder if that's her being politically correct or if she really means it

2. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,949
    I haven't followed the whole CTE completely, but you do have to remember that today we know a lot more then we did even 10 years ago. We know about the potential and sometimes probable effects that players face later in life due to all the blows sustained during their football careers. There may have been speculation about it back in the 80's and earlier, but that was really all it was, speculation without much medical evidence. Also, take into consideration that although the McNeils may be living in the lap of luxury, this isn't the case for many players his age and older. Salaries back then were no where near what they are today.

All this being said, I don't have an issue with the NFL taking care of their own, no matter what their social economic status is. I think any employer who would turn their cheek on an employee that suffered injuries directly related to their work would be unacceptable. This isn't knee surgery or hip replacement, it's a life altering and most likely shortening condition.

Will there be changes in the future on how the NFL deals with this? No doubt, the medical evidence is piling up in support of it and I would guess that the NFL will either self fund a program that helps former players and their families or players will be required to self insure for it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  3. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +400
    I don't have a problem w/the NFL taking care of their own as they should. Whether they do it b/c it's the right thing to do or b/c it makes them look good b/c that's the right thing to do. Although we knew much less about concussions in the 70's-90's I have a problem w/them suing for more $. They knew what they were getting into when they signed their contract.

4. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    The people that really get shafted are the ones not quite good enough to make it to the NFL. Chris Borland made it but I don't think he made enough $$ to be set for life. He at least bailed out before accumulating possibly life altering hits. Some don't get that option.