Out Of Bounds Kickoff

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the Lions kickoff that was ruled out of bounds the ball actually was one yard deep in the end zone and bounced back onto the field of play. Seems like Montgomery was blocking the refs view. Smart play by Ty anyway. I think Cobb did the same thing in a game last year ?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a live ball, and can be fielded by anyone at anytime once it goes past 10 yards. It's not a touchback once it goes in the endzone, it's a live ball. It's different than a punt

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It almost seemed like a shot at Adams if you ask me. I don't know how much guys who are not part of the kickoff return team are schooled on the ST rules (Zook said Monty probably saw the Cobb play at least 4 times, I wonder how many times Adams has seen it?) but it does make me a little uncomfortable that Adams admits he would not have thought to do it. I understand its not his job and I also understand he was trying to give Montgomery huge props but still.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It almost seemed like a shot at Adams if you ask me. I don't know how much guys who are not part of the kickoff return team are schooled on the ST rules (Zook said Monty probably saw the Cobb play at least 4 times, I wonder how many times Adams has seen it?) but it does make me a little uncomfortable that Adams admits he would not have thought to do it. I understand its not his job and I also understand he was trying to give Montgomery huge props but still.
To be fair to Adams.... I doubt that he has been in those special teams meetings where Zook showed the Cobb play.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the ruling when the ball hits in the end zone and bounces back on the field of play ? Should it be a touch back ? Probably the first time I ever saw that happen.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the ruling when the ball hits in the end zone and bounces back on the field of play ? Should it be a touch back ? Probably the first time I ever saw that happen.
It's a live ball, it's a live ball till someone recovers it or it goes out of bounds. It can bounce in and out 100 times and it will still be a live ball, able to be recovered by anyone on any team, or it goes out of bounds. this is on a kick off.

For a punt, it would be a touchback because it is a kick to change possession. the ball is only live behind the line of scrimmage, after that, the best the kicking team can do is down it and once it crosses the goalline it is a touchback.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone remember what game it was that Cobb made that play ?

I do recall when it happened and the reaction but I can't recall the details of the game. I remember he was getting all the same "heads up play" type reaction Monty is getting. Which is well deserved by the way.

To be fair to Adams.... I doubt that he has been in those special teams meetings where Zook showed the Cobb play.
I

I agree, if its not part of his job description why should he know of it. When I said it made me uncomfortable I didn't mean it like he didn't know what he was doing. The more I think of it it was probably just part of the way he was paying Monty a compliment.

D

Deleted member 6794

A kickoff only results in a touchback when a player on the return team downs the ball inside the endzone. If the ball bounces back into the field of play it can either be advanced by the returning team, recovered by the kicking team or result in a penalty if it ends up out of bounds.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do recall when it happened and the reaction but I can't recall the details of the game. I remember he was getting all the same "heads up play" type reaction Monty is getting. Which is well deserved by the way.

From post #8 link - late in the 2012 season against Tennessee:

The Green Bay Packers certainly didn't need any special bounces to beat the Tennessee Titans 55-7 Sunday, but a slow roll and a smart play by kick returner Randall Cobb highlighted a quirky rule that you don't see very often on kickoffs.

With Green Bay receiving the ball to start the third quarter, the Titans' Rob Bironas kicked towards Cobb, with the ball landing somewhat short and rolling to a stop in play near the sideline at the Packers' 4-yard-line. Had Cobb picked the ball up with both feet in bounds, the play would be live where he picked it up.

Instead, Cobb puts one foot out of bounds before touching the live ball, making him an out of bounds player and thus ruling the kick out of bounds, which is an illegal procedure penalty on Tennessee, giving Green Bay the ball on their own 40-yard-line.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In case you missed it earlier this season in College Football, here is what you don't want to do with a kick-off.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/clemso...o-referee-before-taking-a-knee-165142817.html

Over the years I have found the Packer players to have a pretty decent football IQ, in comparison to some teams. Not sure if I am just being biased or it can be attested to something that our coaching staff instills in their players. The Montgomery play highlighted that. While some don't like AR's use of the rules to occasionally get a "free" play or a penalty, to me, playing smart can be the difference between a W and an L.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
In case you missed it earlier this season in College Football, here is what you don't want to do with a kick-off.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/clemso...o-referee-before-taking-a-knee-165142817.html

Over the years I have found the Packer players to have a pretty decent football IQ, in comparison to some teams. Not sure if I am just being biased or it can be attested to something that our coaching staff instills in their players. The Montgomery play highlighted that. While some don't like AR's use of the rules to occasionally get a "free" play or a penalty, to me, playing smart can be the difference between a W and an L.
For good or bad, Belichek does a good job of pushing the rules to the limit. RB's declaring themselves not-eligible?

D

Deleted member 6794

For good or bad, Belichek does a good job of pushing the rules to the limit. RB's declaring themselves not-eligible?

Actually Vereen didn't have to declare himself ineligible as he was covered by another receiver lined up at the LOS outside of him, resulting in the running back being the right tackle. Therefore Hoomanawanui automatically ended being eligible even while lining up only two spots left of the center.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts