Our two biggest problems are...

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1.) The D-line.
2.) Special teams.

As much as I'd like to say that our secondary is our problem on D, the time opposing QB's have to throw the ball leads me to believe that our REAL problem is our D line.

As for special teams that's an obvious choice. I'm referring to our TERRIBLE kick/punt coverage.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Inexperience
2) Inconsistency

We have talent and potential. We need it to develop into consistency and results. This will only come with time.

We've had some terrible loses this season. Obviously a better pass rush from the DL would help. Obviously better field position from ST would help. Obviously a consistent running attack and scoring from offense would help. But the lack of production from this team stems back to the inexperience of the players and coaches.

I believe that we could have gone a different route for rebuilding the team, but the choice was to scrap and rebuild. Now we're just stuck waiting for it to work out, and hopefully it will.

GO PACK GO!!!

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After a loss like yesterday and against NE and Chicago, it is difficult to narrow our needs to 2. However, after our 4 wins and 3 other near wins or competitive contests it seemed as if 1 or 2 pieces could make this squad a contender.

That said, one constant has been big plays surrendered and poor coverage by our defense. This I would lay mostly on scheme and coaching, although we are week at Safety and #3 and 4 DB.

The other constant has been a limited offensive playbook due to help being given to the young offensive line.

1. Changes on defense in this order: coaching, safeties, DL, DB.
2. Upgraded OL: whether through maturation of people in place or finding people who can play at an above average NFL level.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
1) Inexperience
2) Inconsistency

I loved a signing like Clevelan'd signing of Willie McGinnest...we could use a signing like that, somebody who has been deep in the playoffs before...because we pretty much lack that other than Favre of course...somebody who can be a locker room presence, who can get the team on focus, maybe AJ Hawk will emerge into that, but if we keep sending out rookies to start multiple positions, seasons like this will repeat themselves

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
01. TT
02. MM

Couldnt have said it any better.

1. Fans expecting success every game this season from a GM who's looking at success two perhaps three years down the road.
2. Fans expecting an HC who can hold his own against coaching greats like Bellichik, Homgren or for that matter any coach with a winning record, while in reality the HC is still learning on the job and doing whatever he can not to be overwhelmed by the situation.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Fans expecting success every game this season from a GM who's looking at success two perhaps three years down the road.
2. Fans expecting an HC who can hold his own against coaching greats like Bellichik, Homgren or for that matter any coach with a winning record, while in reality the HC is still learning on the job and doing whatever he can not to be overwhelmed by the situation.

your first reason is legit...by the number of draft picks that thompson has acquired he is clearly building for a few years down the road, and the picks are panning out and contributing, Hawk, Jennings, Colledge/Moll/Spitz, Collins (to be determined), and he brought back Kampman and signed Woodson, arguably the best two players on their respective units, actually yeah Kampman has been our best DL, woodson " " DB...i dont wanna hear any anti-Ted Thompson BS anymore

reason 2 doesnt do anything to help the situation, we got schooled by a fellow rookie coach yesterday, if McCarthy wasnt ready then he shouldnt have been hired...honestly I don't think its as much his fault as it is assistant coaches...but regardless no matter how good this team is it wont matter if the coaching sucks...oh and special teams as well

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dxbfan said:

your first reason is legit...by the number of draft picks that thompson has acquired he is clearly building for a few years down the road, and the picks are panning out and contributing, Hawk, Jennings, Colledge/Moll/Spitz, Collins (to be determined), and he brought back Kampman and signed Woodson, arguably the best two players on their respective units, actually yeah Kampman has been our best DL, woodson " " DB...i dont wanna hear any anti-Ted Thompson BS anymore

reason 2 doesnt do anything to help the situation, we got schooled by a fellow rookie coach yesterday, if McCarthy wasnt ready then he shouldnt have been hired...honestly I don't think its as much his fault as it is assistant coaches...but regardless no matter how good this team is it wont matter if the coaching sucks...oh and special teams as well

So are you telling me that if jim bates was our D coord ... or our HC our record wouldnt be better ???? Lets not forget ... when bates was around we didnt have woodson or hawk

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dxbfan said:

MM put the staff together.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
1) Inexperience
2) Inconsistency

We have talent and potential. We need it to develop into consistency and results. This will only come with time.

We've had some terrible loses this season. Obviously a better pass rush from the DL would help. Obviously better field position from ST would help. Obviously a consistent running attack and scoring from offense would help. But the lack of production from this team stems back to the inexperience of the players and coaches.

I believe that we could have gone a different route for rebuilding the team, but the choice was to scrap and rebuild. Now we're just stuck waiting for it to work out, and hopefully it will.

GO PACK GO!!!

I have to say Bobby that I give you kudos for making a classy post like this when I know you very much wanted TT to do this a different way. It's not all about "I told you so" and predicting this wouldn't work, etc,.

Your a good man Bobby Roberts.

It is what it is and you also nailed it on the head what is plaguing this team right now. Inexperience and Inconsistancy.

On Offense:
The inexperience of the offensive line and WR position is hurting us badly.
We were just starting to get something done on the "0" line and Tausher goes down.
Now we not only have three rookies in there we have had to go back to protection packages to help Moll and keep Favre alive. We were just starting to be able to do less of this when Taush hit the ground.

Our lack of experience at WR is hurting us as well. It's hurting Driver and I don't think Brett has any faith in either Francis or Martin. Defenses recognize this and shadow coverage to Drivers side to help on him. Jenning is good but since he got hurt Brett doesn't go his way much either.

On Defense:
Inconsistancy! My lord what are our DB's doing back there? It doesn't help our DL is, and other than a few games there, hasn't gotten any consistant pressure. Even Kampman is inconsistant. We have none that we KNOW is going to go in there and cause pressure game in, game out.

I have said this before. Sure we can blitz, but still, the front four has got to be able to disrupt the qb. We can't blitz every play. Our DL is way behind the talent of many we have played this year. Less talent, by far, than any other in our own division. Even Detroit kicks our butts in this department.

Manuel just has to go. He is so inconsistant and unreliable it's pathetic. I was willing to cut him some slack early as he got no work in pre-season due to the injury. He gets caught shading and doesn't get back where he needs to be so often it's ridiculous.

In the last three games we didn't have Tausher our "0" has struggled and our defense has failed to create the consistant pressure needed to be successful in this league.

An example of this is the Seattle game. We actually got some pressure on Hasslebeck in the first half. He was terrible. Our offense, however, couldn't get going and we blew some golden opportunities.

In the second half Hasslebeck got better as our pressure on him declined. I do not believe he would have ever gotten on track that night had we kept bodies coming at him.

Driver's big catch made it a ballgame but we never got anything really going on offense. An oft too seen scenario for us this year. They are only going to give Favre a couple of decent looks to Driver a game. It's a miracle those two have been as successful as they have.

As far as it working out down the road I do see some light. I think our "0"line can be good. We need some major help on the "D" line, a Safety, and a couple of good wide outs to open it up for Favre and Driver.

Members online

Latest posts