Our subs

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
The way our defense has been playing lately, I'm really not so sure that they can get much better. The pressure we're getting on QB's, the pass coverage, maybe we could get a bit better in stopping the run, but I'd say we're pretty solid.

My question then is, what do we gain when we get injured players back? Do we sacrifice strengths in some players to plug in guys with strengths elsewhere? Is every injured guy an upgrade over who we have in there now?

I'm pretty impressed with this D, and I'm not sure how much all these injuries have really slowed us down, other than taking the time to adjust. Obviously our offensive injuries are another story.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I've asked myself the same thing, and we probably wont get an answer till next season. Hopefully we'll be trying to figure out the best defense in an effort to defend a super bowl trophy. You mentioned that our defense cant get much better right now except against the run. I personally think our LB's need to do a better job covering the middle of the field. It seems in the eagles game, and in the beginning of last nights game some receivers were getting wide open in the middle of the field. I've seen cutler hit many of his receivers deep in the middle of the field-so you may be able to see my concern in that area. Especially considering the bears receivers are fast when they get open field, and that turf can make our defenders slip.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes Jolly is my favorite dlinemen he is probably the biggest reason why we took a step back vs the run. If we get Jolly back next year the would be huge...WOW watch out love his tipped passes as well.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense is very deep, which is great if you have injuries.

But, the thing that makes defenses great is an abundance of playmakers. Currently, the Packers have several - Clay Matthews and Tramon Williams at the top of the list. Behind them are Charles Woodson, BJ Raji, and Nick Collins.

The only potential playmaker coming off IR on defense, I think, is Mike Neal. He looks like a stud and based on his work in preseason and in the few games he played, it looks like he will be a great run stopper and pocket pusher. Maybe on Brad Jones, but I don't there's enough on him to think he would be special.

The other things that could change on defense are:

1. Sam Shields develops during the offseason. Remember, he is finishing up just his second season playing CB (at any level). His position coach, Joe Whitt, said around mid-season he would be one of the very best in the NFL within two years. That tells me there's a lot of headroom from where he is right now (and he's already pretty dang good). If and when Shields get there, the Packers would have 2 shutdown corners and plenty of guys to put pressure on the QB - a lethal combination.

2. Cullen Jenkins may not be back next year as his contract expires. There are a number of reasons it may make sense to let him walk or franchise and trade him .. the biggest being that he will be 30 next week and has been injury prone.

3. Thompson may get a guy or two in the 2011 draft. The draft is deep in DE and Thompson has a lot of ammunition with 9 draft picks. He also has no glaring weaknesses and so he can afford to trade up if there's a guy he likes. A stud DE or OLB would be huge and could make the defense nearly impossible to move upon.

4. Don't forget about Johnny Jolly. He was their best DL in 2009 and is already signed for next year. Who knows if he has gotten his life back together, but what better place than in GB? He is a tailor-made DE in the 3-4 and is terrific at blocking passes.
dude I agree with everything you say I was loving mike neal He is going to be a beast!!!!

SyX

Stranger in a strange land
Reaction score
Glad to see you guys having success like you are despite all the injuries. Our teams should be a lot stronger next year if for nothing else than the fact that they both developed their younger more inexperienced players. If there are other injuries next year or players just need a breather, there will be more confidence in who will be stepping in.

Looking forward to your team defending their Super Bowl in our house against us next year. Gonna be electric!

OP
OP
Incubes12

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
The defense is very deep, which is great if you have injuries.

But, the thing that makes defenses great is an abundance of playmakers. Currently, the Packers have several - Clay Matthews and Tramon Williams at the top of the list. Behind them are Charles Woodson, BJ Raji, and Nick Collins.

The only potential playmaker coming off IR on defense, I think, is Mike Neal. He looks like a stud and based on his work in preseason and in the few games he played, it looks like he will be a great run stopper and pocket pusher. Maybe on Brad Jones, but I don't there's enough on him to think he would be special.

The other things that could change on defense are:

1. Sam Shields develops during the offseason. Remember, he is finishing up just his second season playing CB (at any level). His position coach, Joe Whitt, said around mid-season he would be one of the very best in the NFL within two years. That tells me there's a lot of headroom from where he is right now (and he's already pretty dang good). If and when Shields get there, the Packers would have 2 shutdown corners and plenty of guys to put pressure on the QB - a lethal combination.

2. Cullen Jenkins may not be back next year as his contract expires. There are a number of reasons it may make sense to let him walk or franchise and trade him .. the biggest being that he will be 30 next week and has been injury prone.

3. Thompson may get a guy or two in the 2011 draft. The draft is deep in DE and Thompson has a lot of ammunition with 9 draft picks. He also has no glaring weaknesses and so he can afford to trade up if there's a guy he likes. A stud DE or OLB would be huge and could make the defense nearly impossible to move upon.

4. Don't forget about Johnny Jolly. He was their best DL in 2009 and is already signed for next year. Who knows if he has gotten his life back together, but what better place than in GB? He is a tailor-made DE in the 3-4 and is terrific at blocking passes.
Great post. I'm, personally, very excited to see what Shields develops into over the next 2 years. We could very well have the best CB tandem in the NFL, developing them, instead of just buying them.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean this is just a good situation for us, nothing bad can really come from this. I think next year our starting ILB's will be Bishop and Barnett. I'm sure Jones, Zombo, and Walden will battle hard for the other outside spot. It's a shame guys like Burnett and Neal were injured so early, the experience would be awesome for them. I'm looking forward to seeing Burnett competing with Peprah for the starting SS spot, as Peprah has been doing pretty well this season.

OP
OP
Incubes12

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I mean this is just a good situation for us, nothing bad can really come from this. I think next year our starting ILB's will be Bishop and Barnett. I'm sure Jones, Zombo, and Walden will battle hard for the other outside spot. It's a shame guys like Burnett and Neal were injured so early, the experience would be awesome for them. I'm looking forward to seeing Burnett competing with Peprah for the starting SS spot, as Peprah has been doing pretty well this season.

I agree. Every team in the NFL wishes they had these problems.

ThorMatthews

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This might sound a little off topic but all of this 2nd String stuff got me thinking, take all of the guys who are sitting 2nd String right now, combined with a healthy version of everyone on IR and put them as an entirely new team in NFL. I think they'd have some damn success.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts