1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Our Safeties

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by BorderRivals.com, Jan 6, 2014.

1. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,013
    NEVER said i didn't want this team to go to the SB. I said i'd rather lose in the first rd vs getting blown out in the SB. Theres a difference. So your math is correct at 100% ;)

2. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Mostly true.
    I just don't know who IS going to make it from the AFC.
    New England has had more devastating injuries than even we have.
    They've lost 3 GREAT players in Gronkowski, Wilfork, and their ILB Spikes. That team is not Super Bowl caliber IMO.
    They play Indianapolis, who is missing their key WR Reggie Wayne, another significant injury loss. NE should beat them though, but Luck is clutch.

San Diego at Denver?
    Rivers can never be counted out. That game would worry me if I was a Broncos fan.
    And Denver has lost their Clay Matthews (Von Miller) and their Bryan Bulaga (Ryan Clady).
    Those two guys are All-Pro's, impossible to replace, as we know how that works.

Could San Diego or Indianapolis make that magical journey like Baltimore did, like NYG did, like we did?

3. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    He decided to give a crap about the other Safety spot getting abused, and wasn't playing for a contract anymore. Hell he was better back with the cast.

4. TCHickman24

TCHickman24 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +79
    And the dreads

5. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    SO much the dreads. He only started sucking after he cut them. Dreads make you a better player. Scientific fact. How much better is directly proportionate to the awesomeness of your dreads. Imagine what McMillian/Jennings would have looked like out there had they tried to rock a smooth baldy.

6. Defense92

Defense92 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +74
    We also should have kept Woodson.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Someone hasn't been watching Oakland.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Defense92

Defense92 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +74
    No. I haven't seen any Oakland games this year, but I have seen ours and Woodson was good when he was in Green Bay.

9. D3uc3

D3uc3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21

I agree with everything u stated although I do believe the expectations for Burnett where that he would improve to Nick Collins caliber or similar, remember Burnett played every snap of defense last season. But with TT spending money on Burnetts contract he took the cheap route out for the FS after letting Woodson walk to try to spend elsewhere such a Rodgers, and Matthews, but not taking the cheap route out he gambled and lost, and now is the biggest gaping whole on defense.
    Don't think for a minute TT isn't brewing something for the draft to get Ha' Sean Clinton-Dix because they know Dom Capers ability and desire for his playmaking ability which we desperately need.
    I also think next year Burnetts numbers will look a lot better when he completely has healed even though we all know he played hurt all season.
    Richardson I think should be brought back for training camp to compete for a roster spot.

10. D3uc3

D3uc3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21
    Honestly I believe the Packers first four picks will be S,DL ,OLB and TE not necessarily in that order
    If James Jones resigns WR will not be a concern as Boykins and shown to lock up the 4th receiver spot but TT will cheap out and go UFA route for receiver 5 given we have 20 free agents for OL he won't spend much so don't expect him to draft one.

11. D3uc3

D3uc3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21
    TT won't go after any free agents at Safety he would rather draft one given the safety prospects he will take his chances draft day don't over look Dom Capers and MM talking up going after Clinton-Dix for his big play ability which we haven't had since Woodson.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,863
    So was LeRoy Butler, should we sign him for 2014 season as well? Woodson is past his prime and is no longer the player he was. TT was absolutely correct in letting him go.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. D3uc3

D3uc3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21

He played hurt this year that's why he was always a step slow then trying to compensate for the lack of other safety help so instead of 11 bodies on defense we played all year with 10.

14. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,656
    Burnett played all but one defensive snap after he returned from his injury after the bye week. Why do you think he was injured??? He just played poorly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,013

This comment right here i'll tell ya. Woodson had 98 tackles, 2 FF, 3 FR, 2 ints, and a TD. Maybe you should stop watching Oakland and watch Charles Woodson.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Woodson is no longer who he was. Father Time has taken much from him.
    Burnett had better play with a cast on last year. He made mental errors. Fact is that Burnett isn't field fast, it's part of why I can't trust him deep in single high. By mid season he seemed in normal form from an injury standpoint.

17. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,013

The guy missed more then half the dang season hurt his last year here so how the hell does that warrant him being past his prime? please watch the way he played in Oakland and compare his stats and numbers to not only our sorry safties but to the rest of the safties in the league and you may be singing a different tune.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. D3uc3

D3uc3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21
    Not every snap of this season last season that's why the expectations for him were so high this year

19. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,656
    He missed the first three games of this season with an injury. He played all but one snap afterwards.

20. D3uc3

D3uc3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21
    Burnett wasn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be but you have to remember honestly he played both safety positions because Jennings and McMillian didn't contribute a damn thing all season and coming back off his injury he was rushed to play due to our lack of safeties abilities and a hamstring takes way longer than 6wks to heal playing hurt only makes it worse players do it all the time!

21. D3uc3

D3uc3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21
    I know that did u actually read my comment I was referring to how he got the contract and his expectations not his playing every down this year because this yr did him no justice, Burnett did not miss a single defensive snap last season that's y expectations were so high but disappointment as we all got in the end.

22. D3uc3

D3uc3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21
    Burnett needs help he should be the box safety in deep coverage this year we saw he lacks that ability but all is not lost with him he just needs a reliable playmaker over the top

23. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Hamstrings are unpredictable, you can't "set" a time frame on them. They can heal up faster than 6 weeks, and judging from the tape, Burnett was fine in week 8. He had a bad year, it happens. We can be realistic enough to accept that. Burnett tried to do too much this year, and it bit him.
    What in the name of oxymoron? I assume that you forgot a period after the word "Safety" in bold and actually mean he stays at SS covering TE/RB underneath while somebody capable of actually covering the entire back end covers the back end in single high coverage. Hearing Ryan Clark talk on Mike&Mike about facing Peyton Manning and our defense against the 9ers makes me want him bad. He can be the secondary's equivalent of Hawk, just line everybody up and play.

24. D3uc3

D3uc3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21
    You and I both know TT won't spend money on a free agent, and yes I forgot a period.
    Playing Burnett deep is a 50/50 gamble and guess what that's not what we need our defense played with 10 players all season, honestly Jennings was jus there to take up space because he didn't do a damn thing, like I stated before Burnett coming off a Hamstring with our Training Staff There is no way you can get me to believe he played healthy, about 40-50 % of the packers injuries were Hamstring injuries, which leads me to believe our trainers don't know how to treat them or our players just have really Sh***y conditioning.

25. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    40-50%of the league struggles with hamstring injuries including the Eagles and the Browns. You forget that as a general rule (there are some exceptions) you're not allowed back on the field until you're 100% or damn close to it.

Clark is old with sickle cell, so he might come cheap. TT will sign a bargain FA, and I'm hoping the price is right. Short deal just over vet min with an adequate amount of guaranteed money. Just enough to delay his inevitable broadcasting career.