Our Safeties

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
- Hard to believe Teddy selected House over Richard Sherman in 2011. Draft is his forte.
+But he did get us a good little one in Casey Hayward in 2012, although we haven't seen him for a long time.

Anyway, those are CBs.

Since our safeties are atrocious, I think it makes sense seeing what Hyde can do at safety.
He's smart, and he's physical.

If we keep Shields, with Tramon, and Hayward and House, that's a decent 4.
Hyde and Burnett or Richardson.... dispose of MD. Draft one high or sign a good FA S like Whitner or Pollard, an affordable one unlike J Byrd.

The notion that Ted won't even consider a top money free agent is just not accurate.

In 2006, LaVar Arrington was one of the biggest fish on the market. Ted coveted him, he wanted Arrington badly, and he even offered more money than the Giants did, and Arrington (thankfully) took less money to go to New York.

I'm not saying he will sign Byrd or that Byrd is even on his radar. But I know he will do his due diligence, and he's not just going to say "Out of the question, next" just because a guy isn't an under the radar FA.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
- Hard to believe Teddy selected House over Richard Sherman in 2011. Draft is his forte.
+But he did get us a good little one in Casey Hayward in 2012, although we haven't seen him for a long time.

Anyway, those are CBs.

Since our safeties are atrocious, I think it makes sense seeing what Hyde can do at safety.
He's smart, and he's physical.

If we keep Shields, with Tramon, and Hayward and House, that's a decent 4.
Hyde and Burnett or Richardson.... dispose of MD. Draft one high or sign a good FA S like Whitner or Pollard, an affordable one unlike J Byrd.

Thats like picking Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers ;)

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a crazy suggestion: We waive Jennings and trade Burnett to Jacksonville for 2 jockstraps. If I'm making decisions (And again I'm not) I'm putting Heyward and Hyde on the back end next year! Heyward was a projected starter and in my book Hyde projects better as a safety. Heyward would be the ball hawk. Hyde the blitzer. It's kind of like having a combination of Butler and Woodson on the back end.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what's the problem with Raji? Lazy? Peaked very early in his career? Just played over his head in 2010?

I'm not a fan of Raji at all anymore, but I thought he would have a really good year this year for no other reason than it being a contract year.

He's lazy and unmotivated. Just another guy on the d-line in the rotation at this point. It's amazing that he hasn't had a sack in over two years? A guy who wants loads of money to do what? be a body? yea i'll pass.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ward is an UFA.

If the Packers would cut Burnett this offseason they would take a $6.6 million cap hit.

Yea right, Rarely do you see Teddy cut his picks. If anything he will let Burnett play out his contract. Tell me what Burnett and Raji have in common? two guy's who showed flashes to be very good players then play like bums. Maybe they should get the Crosby and Hawk treatment. Theres no coinky **** that Crosby and Hawk had career years after they got asked to take a pay cut.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone do any research on Zimmerman out of Kansas State? He is probably 3-5th rounder but I thought he was the soul of their defense.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Published on Jul 25, 2013

1. Ha'sean Clinton-Dix Free Alabama JR 6'1 208 Projected40: 4.58 Grade:175/200
2. Karlos Williams Strong Florida State JR 6'1 230 Projected 40:4.49 Grade:172/200
3. Ed Reynolds Free Stanford JR 6'2 205 Projected 40: 4.47 Grade:169/200
4. Tre Boston Free North Carolina 6'1 205 Projected 40:4.44 Grade:162/200
5. Jason Hendricks Strong Pittsburgh 6'0 190 Projected 40:4.56 Grade:155/200
6. Creg Laston Strong LSU 6'2 205 Projected 40:4.55 Grade:154/200
7. C.J Barnett Free Ohio State 6'0 205 Projected 40:4.61 Grade:151/200
8. Ty Zimmerman Strong Kansas State 6'1 204 Projected 40:4.63 Grade:150/200
9. Isaiah Lewis Strong Michigan state 5'10 210 Projected 40:4.49 Grade:131/200
10. Jimmie ward Strong Northern Illinois 5'11 192 4.66 Grade:124/200
11. Erick Dargan Free Oregon JR 5'11 205 4.58 Grade:121/200
12. Dion Bucannon Free Washington State 6'1 198 4.57 Grade:120/200
13. Malcolm Willis Strong Penn State 5'11 213 Projected 40:4.71 Grade:102/200
14. Ahmad Dixon Strong Baylor 6'0 205 Projected 40:4.44 Grade:91/200
15. Derron Smith Free Fresno State JR 5'11 194 Projected 40:4.58 Grade:85/200
16. Hakeem Smith Strong Louisville 6'1 188 40:4.64 Grade:70/200
17. Nickoe Whitley Free Mississippi State 6'0 208 4.59 Grade:68/200
18. Tevin McDonald Free Eastern Washington JR 5'11 190 4.53 Grade:59/200(Step it up)
19. Byron Moore Strong Tennessee 6'0 208 4.62 Grade:59/200
20. Christian Bryant Strong Ohio State 5'10 192 4.52 Grade:56/200
21. Sean Parker Strong Washington 5'10 192 4.58 Grade:43/200
22. Terrance Brooks Free Florida State 5'11 200 Projected 40:4.59 Grade:38/200
23. Dezmen Southward Free Wisconsin 6'2 214 4.67 Grade:33/200
24. Keshoen Jarrett Strong Virginia Tech 5'11 194 4.54 Grade:27/200
25. Isaiah Johnson Strong Georgia Tech 6'2 208 4.59 Grade:27/200
26. Isaiah Newsome Free Louisiana-Monroe5'11 200 4.60 Grade:23/200
27. Julien David Strong Howard 5'11 195 4.57 Grade:20/200
28. Marco Nelson Free Tulsa 6'0 212 4.66 Grade:20/200
29. Shamiel Gary Strong Oklahoma State 6'0 210 4.67 Grade:19/200
30. A.J Marshall Free Wake Forest 5'11 190 4.38 Grade:19/200
31. Kenny Ladler Free Vanderbilt 6'1 205 4.59 Grade:18/200
32. Dietrich Riley Strong UCLA 6'0 190 4.60 Grade:18/200
33. Zack Craig Free Oklahoma State 6'1 200 4.65 Grade:17/200
34. Jerrion Johnson Strong Southern Miss 6'0 205 4.63 Grade:15/200
35. DeMetruce McNeal Strong Auburn 6'2 185 4.53 Grade:15/200
36. Hakeem Bourne-McFarlane Free Augsburg 6'2 216 4.62 Grade:14/200
37. Demetrius Wright Free USC 6'1 195 4.59 Grade:14/200
38. Charles Sawyer Free Ole Miss 5'11 178 4.53 Grade:14/200
200-190=elite
189-175=1st round
174-150=2nd
149-125=3rd
124-100=4th
99-75=5th
74-48=6th
47-21=7th
20-10=free agent prospect
9-2=camp body

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The numbers don't lie we have the worst safety play of all 32 teams, but I refuse to believe that Morgan Burnett is not anything of at decent safety at best alongside talent and I do believe the Packers coaching staff sees something in him remember he did study under Nick Collins.
But to the contrary I do not see Morgan Burnett as a secondary leader, with that being said this upcoming draft for the packers S position needs to be addressed badly our secondary needs a playmaker badly and MD Jennings and Chris Banjo are not playmakers, Sean Richardson I can't really say to much about him but so far from what I have seen of the kid he's a lot better than Jennings in run support and pass defense I haven't really seen him screw up to much except the Dallas game against Witten. In my personal Jennings and Banjo should be let go immediately and two new safeties should be brought in, I say Richardson give em a chance to fight for the job and maybe even consider converting Hyde to a safety jus work on his tackling but he does have to coverage skills and has done well for a rookie even though he has had his growing pains.

Just saw this on twitter:

M.D. Jennings had the third highest QB rating against amongst all safeties: 148.8.
Burnett was eighth highest: 138.0.

Zero INTs all season. Proof they can't cover. Burnett was slow to react and/or get to VD on the TD in the 4Q. And neither are good tacklers. Just about as bad of safety play as you could get.

This position is our number 1 priority to improve next season. And it's not close anymore in my opinion.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The notion that Ted won't even consider a top money free agent is just not accurate.

In 2006, LaVar Arrington was one of the biggest fish on the market. Ted coveted him, he wanted Arrington badly, and he even offered more money than the Giants did, and Arrington (thankfully) took less money to go to New York.
2006 was THE exception.
Thompson had arrived in 2005 and cleaned up Sherman GM's big mess with the cap.
He had a ton of cap space in 2006 and basically HAD to bring in a high-priced FA.

He first did go after Arrington, that was the top player on his board.
Thank God for us, LaVarr didn't have any interest in coming to the village, as he is a east coast homie.
Kind of like I suspect BJ Raji is by the way.
LaVarr played Teddy like a drum, and got the most $ possible so that NYG would up their offer a little bit.
He went there instead and blew out his achilles or something right away and basically called it a career.

So that money went towards Woodson, who also didn't want to come to the village of Green Bay (well documented).
Teddy has no charisma, is not charming, so selling players is hard for him to begin with. Plus if 10 players have fairly equal $ offers from us or from an East coast team or a West coast, Southern team, I believe 9 out of 10 of them are going to go elsewhere.

Some will say winning is the most important thing. In that case, we have a good chance at them, but there are good teams all over and we're no guarantee of getting to a Super Bowl.

Landing Woodson was lucky. Just like landing Rodgers. And Lacy.
Getting Matthews, however, was brilliant. Still Ted's best move by far.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Morgan Burnett ....... remember he did study under Nick Collins.
Problem with that is this:
Burnett was drafted in 2010, and in the 4th game, he tore his ACL and missed the whole season while Collins was there.
Next season, 2011, 2nd game, Collins bumped his head, which ended his career.

These 2 really only played together for about 5-6 games total. That sucks.
I hate injuriezzzzz.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burnett - I think he eased up once he got his money. Maybe he recognizes his poor play and works hard again this offseason. I won't give up on him yet. He played very well at times last season, he can get there again, he just has to want it.

Banjo - seen a few of these guys over the last few years, come out of nowhere to make a rookie impact, then they fade away the next season. Hope Banjo isn't in this group and comes back next season and impresses even more.

Richardson - I have a lot of hope on Richardson. He has the measureables, really hope he can put it all together and be an impact next season. He was a little green coming in, so his coming 3rd season is when he needs to see if he can be an NFL player or not.

MD Jennings - I gave up on him before the season. Not sure why he is still around.

Lots of questions - no sure things here. The draft looks mighty bleak - I doubt there is an immediate solution available in the draft. This is the first time, in TTs tenure, when I think signing a FA may be a necessary issue. It won't be Byrd, Bethea or Whitner; we don't have enough money to sign all our FAs that we should. It will be someone like Adams, Mitchell or Huff. Someone with some upside but a solid/average player (which would be an upgrade).

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoever it is it needs to be a guy that can cover and tackle. Sometimes one great safety can cover up alot of things in the backend..problem is we don't have an Ed Reed, Troy Polomalu or Charles Woodson roaming around in the secondary. It still amazes me TT didn't pursue Laron Landry when they let Woodson go. It would be great if they did go after Byrd but with TT that's a pipe dream. I don't want to see us take a safety in the 1st round so Dante Whitner or Byrd would be ideal but TT has his build through the draft mentality so...

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It still amazes me TT didn't pursue Laron Landry when they let Woodson go....
Me too!

Landy, like Jerry Hughes, was an ULTRA-TALENT, a special skills player that made him originally a 1st round pick.
In Landry's case, a HIGH first round pick. He is strong and a hitter, also has 4.35 speed.

From Wikipedia:
In Week 5, he was named the NFC Defensive Player of the Week for his performance against the Green Bay Packers, in which he collected 13 solo tackles, defended a pass, forced a fumble, and intercepted Packers' quarterback Aaron Rodgers in overtime.[5] His interception would lead to the Redskins' game-winning field goal. Landry injured his Achilles tendon playing the Eagles in Week 10, and eventually landed on injured reserve December 13, ending his season having only played in 9 games. Landry avoided surgery on his left Achilles tendon and instead received platelet-rich plasma treatments. On December 15, 2011, Coach Mike Shanahan stated that he believed Landry "would’ve been defensive player of the year" for the 2010 season had he not been injured.[6]

2011, his final year of his rookie contract, he was hurt much of the year, would have fit right in with us. So....

There was a chance to get him, and almost at bargain price, before last season......
Landry reached an agreement with the New York Jets on March 19, 2012 on a one-year, $3.5 million dollar contract with $700,000 in guaranteed money

Landry signed a four-year, $24 million contract, with $14 million guaranteed, with the Indianapolis Colts on March 13, 2013.
Jul 15, 2013 - NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Monday that Green Bay Packers safety Morgan Burnett has signed a four-year, $24.75 million extension

The 49ers have collected a lot of former-first round talents, which fills holes, adds experience, and makes their depth that much better and frees up their draft. They already had Alex Smith who was doing fine, but it allowed them to take a chance on Colin Kaepernick. They draft pure BPA. We seen to put all our eggs in the draft.
But we got Rodgers and Matthews.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 49ers will have to pay the piper eventually. Kaepernick has one more year making under $1M, and then he's a UFA after next season. They won't let him walk, so they'll have to bring him in line with guys like Romo, Cutler, Ryan, etc, and that's going to eat up a substantial amount of cap.

They're on borrowed time. They have a ton of talent on the offensive line and on defense. They won't be keeping it all.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 49ers will have to pay the piper eventually. Kaepernick has one more year making under $1M, and then he's a UFA after next season. They won't let him walk, so they'll have to bring him in line with guys like Romo, Cutler, Ryan, etc, and that's going to eat up a substantial amount of cap.

They're on borrowed time. They have a ton of talent on the offensive line and on defense. They won't be keeping it all.

won't matter if they win a SB within that time span imo.. they are built to win a SB now and i'm sure that's all that matters. They can worry about "rebuilding" when the time comes.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mind blowing safety stats from a Bleacher Report article:

• Jennings played over 850 snaps but failed to produce a defensed pass. He was the only safety in the NFL to fail to break up or intercept a pass when playing that often.
  • Burnett failed to intercept a pass in 2013, finishing as one of just three NFL safeties to have zero interceptions despite playing 900 or more snaps.

This article is a great/sad write-up of the horrible year the Packers safeties had.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Ward is an UFA.

If the Packers would cut Burnett this offseason they would take a $6.6 million cap hit.

well according this site it says 1.7 mill. http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Packers&Year=2014 I am not sure how it works if maybe you release him earlier or wait. I am looking at several different sites as far as who the packer sign and who they let go. Most of the sites are saying we let just about everybody go and even release Traymon Williams. The only real expensive free agent they have pack keeping is Shields. I've have done some preliminary numbers and this gives pack around 30 plus million in cap space. Is this a sign that TT is gonna get a little more aggressive in free agency this year? Anyone?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Have you seen our pass rush? or lack thereof? better yet how about our safety play? or lack thereof. If they make Kap look all world Manning would go up and down the field on this unit...cold weather or not! so yes, i would rather get beat by 3 vs getting murdered by a team with a Hall of fame Qb, and four Wr's with 10 or more touchdowns.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mind blowing safety stats from a Bleacher Report article:

• Jennings played over 850 snaps but failed to produce a defensed pass. He was the only safety in the NFL to fail to break up or intercept a pass when playing that often.
  • Burnett failed to intercept a pass in 2013, finishing as one of just three NFL safeties to have zero interceptions despite playing 900 or more snaps.

This article is a great/sad write-up of the horrible year the Packers safeties had.
Bernard Pollard: His PFF grades show he was a good safety this year. He actually made some picks and forced some fumbles, and that was his first year in the Titans offense.

Here's the thing about him: He is physical. He will make the other DB's more accountable and toughen up.
When was the last time you heard anyone, analyst, fan, opposing receivers, accuse our DB's of being "physical"?
Never in many of your lifetimes.

He's 8 years younger than Woodson. Has plenty left in the tank. He's a veteran but not old. He's in great shape.

This is Pollard last year, helping them get to the Super Bowl.
Our safeties miss tackles. Wouldn't you like to have one who crushes people, causes occasional fumbles?

<YEP that was flagged. But you know why Wayne dropped it? He heard Bernie's footsteps

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you seen our pass rush? or lack thereof? better yet how about our safety play? or lack thereof. If they make Kap look all world Manning would go up and down the field on this unit...cold weather or not! so yes, i would rather get beat by 3 vs getting murdered by a team with a Hall of fame Qb, and four Wr's with 10 or more touchdowns.

That's ridiculous. Getting to the Super Bowl, even if we lost, would have made this a special season with everything
that the team has gone through with the injuries. Also our pass rush...8th in sacks this year....the safety play yes atrocious.

And have you seen Denver's defense? 27th in the NFL, worse than ours. We have the offensive weapons to force a shootout against them, so yes, we would have a chance.

Even if we lost, to be afraid to play in the actual SUPER BOWL because of a fear of getting blown out, just a ridiculous mentality. I'm pretty sure 99% of us (I would have thought 100%, but apparently not) would have gladly taken our shot in the big game 10 times out of 10 this year if we could have made it.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's ridiculous. Getting to the Super Bowl, even if we lost, would have made this a special season with everything
that the team has gone through with the injuries. Also our pass rush...8th in sacks this year....the safety play yes atrocious.

And have you seen Denver's defense? 27th in the NFL, worse than ours. We have the offensive weapons to force a shootout against them, so yes, we would have a chance.

Even if we lost, to be afraid to play in the actual SUPER BOWL because of a fear of getting blown out, just a ridiculous mentality. I'm pretty sure 99% of us (I would have thought 100%, but apparently not) would have gladly taken our shot in the big game 10 times out of 10 this year if we could have made it.

Denver won't be in the Super Bowl. Peyton has never been a good playoff quarterback. When his play suffers his teams lose.

Members online

Latest posts