Our Pass Rushing D

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
It is pretty intense
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

M

mayo44

Let's hope it all translates to the NFL. Why the heck to people have to put highlights to **** music all the time?

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Let's hope it all translates to the NFL. Why the heck to people have to put highlights to **** music all the time?
I agree with the music statement. Perry flashed last season and we all know Clay is a beast.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Music nowadays, at least most on those types of videos, are crap. Foul-mouthed, garbage.

But if healthy, I do LOVE our pass rush now with Datone added, Perry back, and I love Dezman Moses as a backup OLB.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every bust had vids that look just as good as those Perry and Jones ones. All of this "Perry showed flashes last year" stuff is weird to me. Based on snaps, Walden was the better player. Maybe he'll turn it on this year, but people seem to have seen what they wanted to see last year.

All the vids of guys kicking *** in college won't mean anything in San Fran in September.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I'm not much of a Perry fan either but I've seen Walden play a lot of snaps...and I don't think Perry has much of an obstacle to overcome to be better than him.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
You are so yesterday.
No, I listen to music from today. Just not that crap. Very few rap artists can write a "song" without using the F word or the N word. Nicki Minaj does it all the time and it adds ZERO to her "music". It's thrown in there just to get it in. I'll take Gaga over Minaj any day of the week.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every bust had vids that look just as good as those Perry and Jones ones. All of this "Perry showed flashes last year" stuff is weird to me. Based on snaps, Walden was the better player. Maybe he'll turn it on this year, but people seem to have seen what they wanted to see last year.

All the vids of guys kicking *** in college won't mean anything in San Fran in September.

Based on snaps?? As in the number of snaps each played last year? Comparing a guy that was on IR for a good chunk of the year vs a guy that was healthy all year isn't a very good way to analyse their contribution to the team. How about we look at some more telling stats that should provide us with a clearer comparison between the two.

Nick Perry
Over 5 games
3 sacks ( I refuse to not count the beauty he had on Andrew Luck so sue me )
18 tackles
Extrapolated over 16 games
9.6 sacks
57.6 Tackles

Erik Walden
Over 11 games after moving into starting role from Perry's Injury
33 Tackles
2.5 Sacks
52.8 tackles
3.6 sacks

Those alone make it pretty clear who was the more effective player when they made it on the field last year. If that isn't enough lets look at the impact we have all been hoping a guy like Nick Perry should give Clay Matthews. Over the first 5 this beast saw more single blocks, was able to move all over the front 7 and make plays to the tune of 8 sacks. The second half of the year was marred by injury so the comparison isn't exactly perfect. But the fact of the matter is teams were accounting for the athleticism and power Nick Perry brings to the table. On the other hand teams were able to exploit Walden's lack there of. Does anyone need to see a video of Walden being made look like a fool in the playoffs vs SF?

This post isn't meant to crown Nick Perry as a great player or anything more than a promising young guy drafted in the 1st round for a reason. Erik Walden doesn't have the talent in his whole body that Nick Perry uses to lace up his cleats and its not even close.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on snaps?? As in the number of snaps each played last year? Comparing a guy that was on IR for a good chunk of the year vs a guy that was healthy all year isn't a very good way to analyse their contribution to the team. How about we look at some more telling stats that should provide us with a clearer comparison between the two.

Nick Perry
Over 5 games
3 sacks ( I refuse to not count the beauty he had on Andrew Luck so sue me )
18 tackles
9.6 sacks
57.6 Tackles

Erik Walden
Over 11 games after moving into starting role from Perry's Injury
33 Tackles
2.5 Sacks
52.8 tackles
3.6 sacks

Those alone make it pretty clear who was the more effective player when they made it on the field last year. If that isn't enough lets look at the impact we have all been hoping a guy like Nick Perry should give Clay Matthews. Over the first 5 this beast saw more single blocks, was able to move all over the front 7 and make plays to the tune of 8 sacks. The second half of the year was marred by injury so the comparison isn't exactly perfect. But the fact of the matter is teams were accounting for the athleticism and power Nick Perry brings to the table. On the other hand teams were able to exploit Walden's lack there of. Does anyone need to see a video of Walden being made look like a fool in the playoffs vs SF?

This post isn't meant to crown Nick Perry as a great player or anything more than a promising young guy drafted in the 1st round for a reason. Erik Walden doesn't have the talent in his whole body that Nick Perry uses to lace up his cleats and its not even close.

No, as in which guy (Walden or Perry) played more snaps when both were available. It was Walden. The coaches wanted him on the field more than Perry. Perry of course has a much bigger upside, but as of last year, he wasn't as good as a 3-4 OLB than a street free agent. I hope he turns it around, but this "he showed flashes last year" seems jumping the gun just a bit.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of the reason Walden played so much early on is Perry had a messed up wrist from preseason. Also, Walden played better early in the season but wore down towards the end, just like in 2011. Why the Colts paid him so much I'll never know.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to think that that's the reason, but the reason is besides the point. The point is that Perry hasn't shown that he's a top flight pass rusher yet, so people should be more cautious or they'll be disappointed. It may be a good sign that he's progressing that they didn't draft any OLBs until very late this year.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we can really speculate on Perry yet because the guy is totally unproven. Realistically he had absolutely no help in the pass rush because there was no clear threat on the DL to get any pressure on the pocket. It is Jones' job to lose, but if Jones can get any type of supplemental pressure or attention from the line, then Perry will be able to go one on one and use power to collapse the pocket.

Matthews will always be double teamed, but what I am really pumped for is Bishop returning if he is 100%. If he can fire a gap several times a game to keep the OL guessing, along with some DB blitzes from McMillian, Hayward, Shields, whoever then all of a sudden GB has one of the more lethal pass rushing defenses in the league. At the end of the day, I actually believe all of this hedges on the return of Bishop. His presence alone should help relieve pressure on Perry and Jones, allowing them to make plays.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The OLB position isn't particularly strong from a depth standpoint...CM3 is a beast, Perry..who knows, and then nothing much to speak of. It would be nice to have another guy there with some potential, or maybe a vet to split time with Perry for the time being. We know guys are going to get injured...so it baffles me that we eally don't have much of a plan for that at a very important position.

Maybe Moses can do something, but he doesn't seem like anything more than an effort guy to me.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The OLB position isn't particularly strong from a depth standpoint...CM3 is a beast, Perry..who knows, and then nothing much to speak of. It would be nice to have another guy there with some potential, or maybe a vet to split time with Perry for the time being. We know guys are going to get injured...so it baffles me that we eally don't have much of a plan for that at a very important position.

Maybe Moses can do something, but he doesn't seem like anything more than an effort guy to me.

Even ILB doesn't excite me. There's Bishop, Jones/Hawk and some guy.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry is potential. Frankly, until I see Bishop in action, so is he. I agree we seem awfully thin at LB, both inside and out. Maybe they expect big things out of the second year players. I'm optimistic but concerned.

Members online

Latest posts