Our Needs

Oklahoma_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Main Needs:
-OLB - CM3 has been great, but Jones wasn't very effective when he did play, and Zombo hasn't done spectacular either.

-CB - Harris was released, and Woodson is getting old.

-OT - Since Bulaga has "taken over" for Tauscher, now we can get someone to wait behind Clifton. Also, Tauscher may not be back next year.

Other/Second/Possible Needs (Non Priority):
-C/G - Wells and Colledge seem to be inconsistent. Some games they do great, and some games they do terrible.

-WR - Driver is getting old and his production isn't what it used to be. Also, James Jones may not stick around next year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's a free agent after this season.

-ILB - Desmond Bishop is a free agent and may not be back next year. Not sure on Hawk's situation/contract.

-Safety - Although we just got Burnett, Bigby is a free agent after the season, and there's a good chance he may not return.

-RB - Grant is solid all-around, Jackson is a good 3rd down back, Kuhn is good in short yardage situations, and I haven't seen enough of Starks to see what he can do. However we don't really have a "Barn Burner". Could be Starks I guess, but like I said, I haven't seen enough of him to know for sure.

Non Needs:
-QB
-FB
-TE
-DL

Agree? Disagree?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
zombo has been great for a rookie. I expect him to be even better next season, but I dont know if he will ever be a pro bowl level LBer.

We will be drafting a QB since flynn is as good as gone. Unless someone has a ton of faith in harrell but I think he wouldnt have been on the practice squad if that was the case.

I think we could get by without drafting a CB but would still like one taken sooner than later as they take a little while to develop.

O line has to be #1 and we need a tackle and a guard.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Main Needs:
-OLB - CM3 has been great, but Jones wasn't very effective when he did play, and Zombo hasn't done spectacular either.

-CB - Harris was released, and Woodson is getting old.

-OT - Since Bulaga has "taken over" for Tauscher, now we can get someone to wait behind Clifton. Also, Tauscher may not be back next year.

Other/Second/Possible Needs (Non Priority):
-C/G - Wells and Colledge seem to be inconsistent. Some games they do great, and some games they do terrible.

-WR - Driver is getting old and his production isn't what it used to be. Also, James Jones may not stick around next year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's a free agent after this season.

-ILB - Desmond Bishop is a free agent and may not be back next year. Not sure on Hawk's situation/contract.

-Safety - Although we just got Burnett, Bigby is a free agent after the season, and there's a good chance he may not return.

-RB - Grant is solid all-around, Jackson is a good 3rd down back, Kuhn is good in short yardage situations, and I haven't seen enough of Starks to see what he can do. However we don't really have a "Barn Burner". Could be Starks I guess, but like I said, I haven't seen enough of him to know for sure.

Non Needs:
-QB
-FB
-TE
-DL

Agree? Disagree?

I think DL is still a HUGE need. We need another backup NT since Green most likely won't be resigned. We have to have depth on the DL and Pickett isn't getting any younger. Sure we have Neal, but behind him, those other guys are not great 3-4 DEs. One more on the outside and one more in the middle would be nice. This year is DEEEEEEP at DL for the 3-4 DE, so we could get a gem in the later rounds.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Partly, it depends on which of our free agents we decide to extend. And, I think there are quite a few who will not - the obvious ones (Tauscher, Lee) and some that are more up the air (Poppinga, Bigby, Hall, Peprah, Colledge, Jackson, Spitz) and even a few where the Packers will want them back but may not be able to pony up the $$ (Bishop, Jenkins, Kuhn).

Dont forget we will have to address AJ Hawk too, no way he makes that much money. I would say at best he is up in the air.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I see we need to re-vamp the offense line. Yes, they're better than they were at the beginning of the '09 season at keeping Rodgers off the obituary page, but PART of the reason the running game has sucked this year has GOT to be due to the line play. Someone previously mentioned Colledge and Wells as being inconsistent, I'll agree with two-thirds of that. Wells IS inconsisteant, and Colledge HAS been in the past. Colledge is getting better, but Wells needs to be replaced. Can anyone tell me HOW he beat out Spitz OR Dietrich-Smith for the starting center position. Tackle we're in trouble. Bulaga at times has looked like Mandarich this year, and Clifton, I'm amazed he didn't retire 2 or 3 years ago.

Running back: If Grant doesn't return to form or gets injured again I'm not COMPLETELY sold on Starks as next in line. And as much as I love watching him run the ball Kuhn is a stop-gap.

Receiver: We need just ONE BIG receiver. Our receivers seem little compared to the rest of the league, we need one guy who is 6'2 or 6'3 to give defenses headaches. I might also say we could use a number 2, as Driver is a solid 3 now, and Jennings can't do the work all by himself. Jones and Nelson, I don't know just something about them just says 'not enough' when it comes to the passing game.

Defensive End: We definately need a 3-4 Defensive end. We can't have 340 pound guys at defensive end like we tried to have this year.

Linebackers: We need 1 maybe 2. At the VERY least we need a good smart solid inside linebacker to be Barnett's heir apparent, and we need him NOW. We may also if there is a stud out there want to look at picking up someone who can play opposite Matthews. The guys we've used have done a great job, but we're what 6 deep opposite Matthews right now?

Safety: I would ONLY draft a safety if there was a 'once in a lifetime' guy that slips to Green Bay at some point in the draft. Burnett didn't have a chance to prove himself this year and Bigby and Collins did decent jobs as did Peprah. We could probably hold it together with this group.

Kicker: I CAN'T be the only one who's sick of Crosby by now!

What DON'T we need: TE, CB, FB, NT

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Our OL holds up decently well against mediocre pass rush. However, withthe D lines we play against within our division, we need to up the size and strength on our side. Until we do that, what should be easy games are going to much harder, our run game is going to suffer, and Aaron Rodgers career in the NFL could be shorter than any of us expect.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kicker: I CAN'T be the only one who's sick of Crosby by now!

I definitely agree on the Crosby part. I'm not really sure where he's projected to go, but I would love it if the Packers drafted Alex Henery from Nebraska in the late rounds. He's the most accurate kicker in NCAA history, I believe, and he's got a strong leg. Two years ago he made a clutch 57 yard field goal to tie a game late against Colorado. In the Big 12 Championship this year, he hit a 53-yarder that legitimately cleared the top of the field goal posts. That's 70-yard range. Kirk Herbstreit called him the best kicker that he's ever seen. Plus, he's one of the nation's top punters, too. He could potentially free up a roster spot, although Masthay hasn't been too bad this year.

I would like to see us go offensive line sometime early in the draft. Colledge is okay, but I don't think he has the size to be a good inside run blocker. Mike Pouncey would be a great pick if he's available. We also need someone to replace Clifton whenever he retires (or someone to replace Bulaga and switch Bulaga back to the left side). Solder, Carimi, and Castonzo would all be solid picks in the first round.

I would also be really happy with Von Miller in the first round if he fell to us. We could use a really good pass rusher opposite CM3. That would make the defense crazy good.

I really hope we don't go with a WR in the first round like I've heard some people in other forums say, even if Justin Blackmon is available at our pick. I agree that we could use some help in that area, especially if Jones doesn't return, but I think there are a ton of really good receivers coming out this year. AJ Green, Justin Blackmon, Julio Jones, Michael Floyd, Jonathon Baldwin, and Ryan Broyles could all turn out to be really good pros. I would rather not get Broyles because of his size, but because of the depth at the position Floyd or Baldwin might drop to the Packers in the second round. Terrance Tolliver is also a possibility for later rounds. He's fast, tall, and a good returner. He wouldn't step in and make huge contributions as a receiver right away, but he would give a boost to our terrible return game.

Even though TT probably won't do it, I would like RB to be addressed in free agency. DeAngelo Williams and Ahmad Bradshaw will probably get pretty good money if they leave their teams so TT won't bite on them. Michael Bush would be great. He's a big back who has been productive when he's gotten the chance in Oakland. If we did turn to the draft, DeMarco Murray would be a good 2nd rounder and Kendall Hunter would be good in the middle rounds.

We definitely need to add a corner to the mix to fill in whenever Woodson is done. Williams is a stud and Shields has been impressive, but beyond that none of the other corners has stood out. As for safety, I really like Burnett starting opposite Collins. He looked good in the preseason and as he progresses, I think he could become a big playmaker for the defense. Peprah and Bigby add some solid depth. We could add another safety, but it should be a late rounder.

I don't think we need all that much help with the D-Line. Pickett, Raji, and Jenkins is a really good starting lineup. With Neal healthy again and Jolly potentially returning, as well as all the players that stepped up this season, the line will be really deep.

MelrosE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would LOVE to get Gabe Carimi in the 1st. He could be our LT or RT and would give help us in the run game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts