Our knuckle-baller

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Phil Niekro ain't got nuttin' on Mason Crosby ... that guy's delivery is all over the flippin' place.

Maybe he's a spitballer and not a knuckle-baller.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
My son and I refer to Mason as "clunk" ... the sound the ball makes when it hits the crossbar or the upright. I've never seen anything quite like it. Swear to gawd herself that if we got points for hitting the goalpost, he'd be dead center every time. Man, kickers can get the 'yips' too, but I just don't get it.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All kickers slump once in awhile. The fact is he led the league in points his rookie year. He has one of the biggest legs in the whole league. Is in the top 25 in career fg %. And we were praising him earlier this year and last year. He misses one kick in the final 2 minutes this year and now he's "not clutch"??

Yeah. Let's release him and pick up someone off the waiver wire. How'd that work out last time we tried that? Dave Rayner? Ohh. nevermind... LOL I'm coming back to this thread at the end of the year.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All kickers slump once in awhile. The fact is he led the league in points his rookie year. He has one of the biggest legs in the whole league. Is in the top 25 in career fg %. And we were praising him earlier this year and last year. He misses one kick in the final 2 minutes this year and now he's "not clutch"??

Yeah. Let's release him and pick up someone off the waiver wire. How'd that work out last time we tried that? Dave Rayner? Ohh. nevermind... LOL I'm coming back to this thread at the end of the year.
Spot. On.

I swear.
This forum would self-destruct or my computer would spontaneously combust if negativity and arrogance could physically do those things.

To those who criticize Mason.
Think you can do better?
Then go try out.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spot. On.

I swear.
This forum would self-destruct or my computer would spontaneously combust if negativity and arrogance could physically do those things.

To those who criticize Mason.
Think you can do better?
Then go try out.

I doubt it would prove anything if I tried but then my vocation isn't kicking. But I don't have to be a kicker to see a guy missing very makable field goals.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He was a rookie a long time ago. Let's deal with the now. He has one of the biggest legs in the league. ok let's see him get a little more accurate with that big leg.

http://www.wbay.com/story/19896481/2012/10/23/mason-crosby-falls-short-on-long-balls

Who said to release him. I swear someone makes a critical comment about a player and the first thing they do is throw out this straw man.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The GB Press-Gazette reported in PG's Final Report column ( 10/29/12 ) that the wind factor on field at Lambeau Field was wind gusts out of NE were not strong at 10 mph. However, there were swirling winds in South end zone that Crosby was kicking into, when he missed that 32 yard FG. That is first FG this season that he missed this year inside 50 yards.. Mason's other FGs missed were 52, 51 and 58 yards.

The possibility of kicking in windy and cold weather at LF caused at least two excellent older former GB kickers( Jan Stenerud (1980-1983) and Ryan Longwell (1997-2005) to leave GB and sign with the Vikings to kick 8 home games in Met dome to prolong their NFL s.
I have seen all the NFL Kickers and punters have problems kicking and punting in Lambeau Field in cold , windy and snowy weather since 1957. They all had problems punting and kicking FGs

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt it would prove anything if I tried but then my vocation isn't kicking. But I don't have to be a kicker to see a guy missing very makable field goals.

I agree. I try not to be to critical of Crosby but i wouldn't trust him to win a game or to make a crucial kick. That's his doing not mines. I watched Gould come in yesterday and nail a 40 yarder to win the game with no sweat against the Panthers (love sunday Ticket)...i watched his dimeanor and he didn't even look rattled, and neither did his teammates. At this point you can't say the same for Crosby. I don't even think MM has alot of faith in him. Strong leg does not =accuracy by any means.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
All I know is that I get really fricking nervous when it starts to look like the Packers need three points and are running out of time. I have no confidence in Crosby. Good thing we normally rely on TDs from Rodgers arm.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
weeds, you've got it all wrong - Crosby is at the forefront of kickers: He's perfecting the knuckle ball kick because they're nearly impossible to block and add an excitement factor to each and every FG attempt. Semi-seriously if you've ever played golf…

Crosby is not going to be replaced but IMO answering criticism of a player by saying, "Think you can do better?" is as silly as it gets.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd still say that old drunky out in Oakland has the biggest leg in the NFL. He's also accurate with that thing too!

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby has made me nervous from the very start, have no confidence in his ability to make the important kick. He's lucky I am a minority owner or he would be kicking for someone else.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
My observation was more out of frustration than anything. Crosby isn't (nor should he) go anywhere...I'm just hoping that he can get his sh*t together 'tis all.

12theTruth

Thunder from the Homer and Thunder show was reading off a list of FG kickers and their FG percentages this season. Crosby was one of the worst. Its a what have you done for me lately world.

I simply would punt or go for it at anything over a 50 yard FG until Crosby demostrates a better chance at making the attempts. Some have suggested that the new south end zone modifications to the stadium has made an impact. That's certainly possible. I also wonder if perfecting his onsides kickoff has possibly negatively affected his accuracy on long field goals.

At the minimum, Ted should bring the best undrafted free agent K available and make Crosby think and sweat about it next preseason.

Members online

Latest posts