Our kick and punt returns this year.

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
I'm sorry if it has been addressed elsewhere, but is Montgomery handling both this year?

From what I saw Sunday, his kickoff return game seems pretty solid.
I always worry about rookies doing that job (fumbling), but I suppose that Cobb guy did OK in 2011 and looks like he may have some talent ;) lol

Anyways.. 88 for both returns?
Thoughts on his performance and their choice?

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm sorry if it has been addressed elsewhere, but is Montgomery handling both this year?

From what I saw Sunday, his kickoff return game seems pretty solid.
I always worry about rookies doing that job (fumbling), but I suppose that Cobb guy did OK in 2011 and looks like he may have some talent ;) lol

Anyways.. 88 for both returns?
Thoughts on his performance and their choice?

Montgomery did a great job returning kickoffs vs. the Bears and seems to be by far the best option on the roster. I would prefer Hyde to return punts though.

OP
OP
Mushroom

Mushroom

Packer Owner/Shareholder
Reaction score
I should've known that. Thanks!

I'm excited to see what Montgomery is capable of

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
"New guys" scare me on punt returns. Seems like more decisions have to be made back there then does a kick returner have to make. So I am very fine with Hyde returning punts as well.

Saw the mistake with Jarryd Hayne for the 49'ers Monday night. I do like that guy though, scary shifty.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like Montgomery carries a ball a little on the loose side. He may have to work on that a bit, looks like it can be popped out somewhat easily. But he no doubt has return skills. Like the kid a lot.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Montgomery fielded the ball well on punts in the preseason, but I still think Hyde is the better punt returner at this point. Montgomery definitely looks the part on kick returns, he has that ability and I think Hyde is the more natural punt returner and I'm fine leaving them both at those positions.

D

Deleted member 6794

"New guys" scare me on punt returns. Seems like more decisions have to be made back there then does a kick returner have to make. So I am very fine with Hyde returning punts as well.

I would be fine with Montgomery returning punts if we didn´t have a better option at the position. With Hyde there´s no need to make a change though.

Godgers12XLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Montgomery looked really good on KR vs the Bears. much better than dujuan harris setting our offense up at the 10 yard line every time. :mad:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In his ratings column McGinn wrote, "Ty Montgomery took advantage of outstanding blocking, which was rarely seen last year..." If the blocking is consistently improved this season Montgomery is going to have a big year on KORs. And McCarthy's promotion of Zook may be justified, depending what else happens on STs of course. As far as Shields' gaffe on the FG block team and Masthay's line drive punt, I don't think Zook bears much responsibility.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-packers-vs-bears-b99576523z1-327619801.html

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Montgomery averaged 35 yds per KO return, three returns in total, with a
long of 45 yds versus the Bears. Last year the Packers averaged 19.1 yds
per KO return.

I know I'm comparing one game versus an entire season, but so far this
area may have gone from a weakness to a strength.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Montgomery averaged 35 yds per KO return, three returns in total, with a
long of 45 yds versus the Bears. Last year the Packers averaged 19.1 yds
per KO return.

I know I'm comparing one game versus an entire season, but so far this
area may have gone from a weakness to a strength.
I don't need any more games to tell me it's better. Just watching him run, you can see he's much better than anyone we had doing it last year. I'm pretty confident that if they can block it up, semi respectably, he's going to hit some holes and creases and get some big returns. The bad news is our offensive stats might go down because we'll only have 60 yards to go for a TD instead of 90 :)

Members online

Latest posts