Our defense now...

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I worry about our running game primarily due to Starks' injury problems. Can he stay healthy? I'm hoping to see the further development of Saine and Green.
Runningbacks are a DIME A DOZEN!!!! Especially in today's NFL.
True, the special ones are rare and aren't found on the street. But let's look at the special ones of today:

LaDanian Tomlinson.... HOF career is winding down. Appeared in no Super Bowls.
Adrian Peterson..... was the best RB of the 2007-2011 era.... Appeared in no Super Bowl. ACL has chopped his career down.
Maurice Jones Drew.... nothing.
Ray Rice..... great defense, no Super Bowl appearances.... came close.
CJ2K (Chris Johnson)...... had a couple of phenomenal seasons.... doesn't matter, team went nowhere.
Steven Jackson..... from 2004-now, he's been a horse. Didn't matter. Team went nowhere with that ground-horse.

Bottom line is this: QBs are what/who take teams to Super Bowls in today's NFL, and a good-great defense, especially pass rush, is the key.

We got the great QB. We had a near-great D in 2010 but losing Jenkins killed the pass rush. That has now been more than addressed. It should be better than 2010.
My only question is the safety position missing Collins. Collins in his 5th year was a lot better than the rookie or 1st year Collins, so I don't expect a rookie to come in and be real good back there.

Most likely it will be Peprah, MD Jennings, or #34 Anthony Levine, at first.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The potential improvement for the defense is stark after just two UFA signings and this draft. Of course obvious optimism surrounds teaming Matthews with Perry to upgrade the pressure from the outside. Perhaps Terrell Manning or Vic So'oto or another returning OLB can spell them but the OLB backups will probably have to contribute on STs in order to be active on game days. Just as important is pressure inside so the QB can't step up in the pocket. Newcomers Jerel Worthy, Anthony Hargrove, and Mike Daniels are likely to join (a much more rested) BJ Raji in an inside rotation in the nickel. That's four players for the two-man DL rotation in the nickel and that's four newcomers to contribute to the pass rush from the front 6 in Capers' most-used alignment.

I hope Muir provides insurance for Pickett - he's four years younger but not as "stout". And he may be able to spell Raji some on base downs. IMO the backups at ILB outplayed Hawk last year and with Terrell Manning being added to that group, if the starters don't step up their play, the staff definitely has options. As we all know, improved play from one spot or one unit often has a positive effect on the rest of the defense. So even if it's Bishop and Hawk again at ILB, I think we can expect improved pressure from ILB because offenses will have to be paying much more attention to the OLB and the D linemen. The improved symbiotic relationship among the front 6-7 should also improve the production of DBs blitzing. For example, compare how successful Woodson was blitzing in 2010 vs. last season. And of course Woodson isn't the only DB who blitzes.

What should be a dramatic increase in pressure would help the secondary even if they played the same as they did last season. But they better not. IMO the entire secondary has to improve regardless of what should be a significantly better pass rush. I hope the additions of Casey Hayward and Jerron McMillian and/or the improvement of Davon House or MD Jennings mean Charlie Peprah's days starting are over (Woodson could start at safety if Jennings or McMillian aren't up to it). And no offense meant to Charlie who was good enough in 2010, but if he doesn't survive the final roster cuts that would be a good indication of improvement of the personnel in the secondary. I'm not expecting that, though.

Even though IMO their play has to improve Williams, Woodson, Burnett, and Shields are sure things in the secondary. Beyond them, who will step up to start opposite Burnett at safety? Will Hayward or House force their way onto the field in the nickel? Will the staff trust MD Jennings enough to start at safety? How good is McMillian and will he be able to contribute from scrimmage in his rookie year? There are questions in the secondary but IMO if Peprah's spot can be upgraded and the returning starters upgrade their play, we should see a dramatic improvement in the defense. And if they can't find another starter at safety, perhaps Capers next innovation in the nickel will be to start 4 CBs and one safety.

As for statistical expectations for 2012, the Packers D finished the 2011 regular season 19th in scoring giving up 22.4 ppg. The Steelers led the league surrendering 14.2 ppg and the median was the Cowboys at 21.7 ppg. The Packers were 21st in TDs surrendered at 41 but were tied for 27th in passing TDs surrendered with 29. An often ignored stat: The Packers defense led the league with 31 INTs (next closest was 23!) and was tied for overall turnovers secured with the 49ers at 38.

The year before the Packers D was second in the league in points allowed at 15 ppg and second in INTs with 24. I don't expect that big an improvement in ppg but I do expect the 2012 defense to be much closer to 15 ppg than 22.4 ppg. At the same time even with the improved pass rush I expect fewer than 31 INTs because an average of nearly 2 INTs per game is just crazy.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Finally all of the Hawk haters will have to accept that he might have a good season. He's not going to have C.J. Wilson blocking in front of him. We talk about the secondary being better, it's the same with the LBs. These are nice additions to make the entire D better. I'm really excited about the upcoming season. Being pushed in training camp is always good for these guys. Think Perry has a poor motor? Betcha training camp and coach Greene bring out the beast in him.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Finally all of the Hawk haters will have to accept that he might have a good season.
Nope ;) still late, still expendable
Define "good" If by "good" you mean not terrible, than probably. Being a non factor is much better than being a detriment, just ask Peprah.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, TT also drafted...Harrell, Hawk, Matthews & Raji BOTH in round 1. Drafting excessive defense gets boring. Think back to being a kid, the same excitement is not there the way it is when you draft an offensive skill position like WR or RB.

Another thing, when he did get Nelson (second round - first pick that year for Pack) ....DeSean Jackson was still available.

I like Jordy significantly more the Desean, we pay way less for him, he is unselfish, a clutch player, got good size @ 6'3" 210+lbs, and he scored more touchdowns then desean ever has (playoffs included)

sent from my rooted evo4g

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many a draft pick has been a bust in this league, and everyone we drafted has a "chance" be it slim or whatever but there is a chance that they wont pan out. I also wouldn't count on 3 rookies to improve the worst passing defense of all time all that much.

I would however count on the Vandy CB making an immense impact if he can be an above average CB for us....because then my friend Woodson can move to Safety...instantly better.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts